Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castellini..."Wayne Krivsky's greatest asset is his decisiveness."

Castellini..."Wayne Krivsky's greatest asset is his decisiveness."

The happiest people don't need the best of every-thing; they make the best of everything they have.
    ---
    'Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
    but how to dance in the rain.'
    ---

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Castellini..."Wayne Krivsky's greatest asset is his decisiveness."

That reminds me of an old Bill Cosby routine where a cocaine user explains to Bill that he uses the drug because it accentuates the user's personality. Bill responds by asking, "But what if you're an @sshole?".

The jury is still out for me on Krivsky but the extensions last week have raised his stock I think.
    Last edited by jojo; 02-11-2007 at 07:21 PM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Right. Decisive and wrong? That's not somebody I'd want running my business.
    **I'm just throwing the world curve balls.**

Click here for FalconBlog

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Cummings View Post
    Seems Bob C thinks differently.

I have a feeling that some of this may be meant in context, context being Wayne Krivsky's predecessor.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I have a feeling that some of this may be meant in context, context being Wayne Krivsky's predecessor.

DanO made Hamlet look like a reactionary.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Cummings View Post
    Some of the moves he has made have been decisive and right too. I think it's unfair to base who you would want running your business on one descision and one year of work. I'm willing to weigh the good vs. the bad before passing judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Well spoken Chip,

And these few precepts in thy memory
    See thou character. Give thy thoughts no tongue,
    Nor any unproportioned thought his act.
    Be thou familiar, but by no means vulgar.
    Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,
    Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel;
    But do not dull thy palm with entertainment
    Of each new-hatch'd, unfledged comrade. Beware
    Of entrance to a quarrel, but being in,
    Bear't that the opposed may beware of thee.
    Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
    Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
    Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
    But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
    For the apparel oft proclaims the man,
    And they in France of the best rank and station
    Are of a most select and generous chief in that.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.
    -- Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 3

What I read into Bob C.'S comments are those of a man who accesses the balance of a man's work. Simply put Wayne K did everything within his means to help the Red's compete. 8 wins in the first 9 games after the trade could have made this team confident but alas the bats went silent . It was a move that to me personally I reserve judgment on. My only teeth Gnashing moment was passing up Lincecum for Stubbs so far. That is yet to be long term determined yet also.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    What I read into Bob C.'S comments are those of a man who accesses the balance of a man's work. Simply put Wayne K did everything within his means to help the Red's compete. 8 wins in the first 9 games after the trade could have made this team confident but alas the bats went silent . It was a move that to me personally I reserve judgment on. My only teeth Gnashing moment was passing up Lincecum for Stubbs so far. That is yet to be long term determined yet also.
    And that may be more of a reflection of WK delegating the draft duties to Chris Buckley...

I wonder if he'll do the same this year, or if he'll be more involved.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I have the same problem as O'Brien had. You can spend forever waiting to do something because you want it to be exactly right. In the meantime, nothing gets done. While your decisions, on balance, still need to be good ones, there is value in decisiveness itself.

Good direction is useless without movement. While ideally you have movement in the right direction, at least with movement in general you have a chance of stumbling in the right direction.

Does anybody care if win 65 games instead of 82 if we still miss the playoffs every year?

It's Marlins & D'Backs vs. Pirates & Royals.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I have the same problem as O'Brien had. You can spend forever waiting to do something because you want it to be exactly right. In the meantime, nothing gets done. While your decisions, on balance, still need to be good ones, there is value in decisiveness itself.

Good direction is useless without movement. While ideally you have movement in the right direction, at least with movement in general you have a chance of stumbling in the right direction.
    That's exactly how I look at it. With the key caveat that your decisions have to be, on ballence, good ones. The more decisive you are means more decisions and more chance, frankly, of being right and moving an orgization ahead. Sitting around waiting for the "perfect move" results mostly in sitting around and in very few perfect moves.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

This is one of the most frustrating quotes I've seen in quite awhile:

"The criticism he received on the Washington trade is fine," Castellini said. "It showed people cared. But we thought it was a good trade. He was going to bolster up that bullpen. Matter of fact, it did turn out that way. If you take a look at what happened last year, we had a great season in many respects. But probably the thing that hurt us the most were our bats slowing down the last four or five weeks."

Am I reading this right? Bob C sez, and I paraphrase...

1) It's okay that the trade has been criticized because it means the team still has fans

Yes it does, long suffering ones who wonder "why, why why?!"

2) The trade was meant to upgrade the bullpen.

That point has been made, yes, we know.

3) It did upgrade the bullpen.

That, Bob, is debatable. Very debatable. If we got anything out of the bullpen, it was on the arms of Weathers, Coffey, Guardado, and Schoenweiss... none of whom were even part of the trade.

4) The Reds had a great season "in many respects."

Except for all the respects that count. They were only competitive because the rest of the division was historically weak. Any other season and no one would be talking about "many respects."

5) The lack of offense is what ultimately hurt the team's chances.

Yes! I agree! And why is that? Hmmm...
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Hey DanO merely got fired....Hamlet got stuck with a poisoned blade...
    Last edited by jojo; 02-13-2007 at 01:45 PM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?