Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Castellini..."Wayne Krivsky's greatest asset is his decisiveness."

Re: Castellini..."Wayne Krivsky's greatest asset is his decisiveness."

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    This is one of the most frustrating quotes I've seen in quite awhile:

"The criticism he received on the Washington trade is fine," Castellini said. "It showed people cared. But we thought it was a good trade. He was going to bolster up that bullpen. Matter of fact, it did turn out that way. If you take a look at what happened last year, we had a great season in many respects. But probably the thing that hurt us the most were our bats slowing down the last four or five weeks."

Am I reading this right? Bob C sez, and I paraphrase...

1) It's okay that the trade has been criticized because it means the team still has fans

Yes it does, long suffering ones who wonder "why, why why?!"

2) The trade was meant to upgrade the bullpen.

That point has been made, yes, we know.

3) It did upgrade the bullpen.

That, Bob, is debatable. Very debatable. If we got anything out of the bullpen, it was on the arms of Weathers, Coffey, Guardado, and Schoenweiss... none of whom were even part of the trade.

4) The Reds had a great season "in many respects."

Except for all the respects that count. They were only competitive because the rest of the division was historically weak. Any other season and no one would be talking about "many respects."

5) The lack of offense is what ultimately hurt the team's chances.

Yes! I agree! And why is that? Hmmm...
    He stated it quite clearly in the final line of the italicized portion:

But probably the thing that hurt us the most were our bats slowing down the last four or five weeks

There were so many players who tanked in the final weeks of the season. That's what ultimately killed us. Even a little bit more from those who withered might have made the difference. It wasn't solely the absence of Lopez and Kearns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

But probably the thing that hurt us the most were our bats slowing down the last four or five weeks

.....Even a little bit more from those who withered might have made the difference. It wasn't solely the absence of Lopez and Kearns.
    BUT, either/or might have been enough to make a difference. (shrug) Maybe there was a way to do the deal without giving up both players or even downsizing the deal to only add one of the two relievers. Maybe Krivsky just pulled the trigger too early and go out foxed by Bowden. I guess we'll never know. (shrug)

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    BUT, either/or might have been enough to make a difference. (shrug) Maybe there was a way to do the deal without giving up both players or even downsizing the deal to only add one of the two relievers. Maybe Krivsky just pulled the trigger too early and go out foxed by Bowden. I guess we'll never know. (shrug)

Rem
    Or maybe we will know, it is just not within one year of the trade?

It sucked the first half year, and there is no undoing it now. I just hope that the three parties left make a big enough impact that down the road it may seem like a wash, or maybe in the Reds' favor.

Hope, that is all I or any other reds fan can do right now.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

There were so many players who tanked in the final weeks of the season. That's what ultimately killed us. Even a little bit more from those who withered might have made the difference. It wasn't solely the absence of Lopez and Kearns.
    Agree. I think our lack of a bench really hurt last year. Speed guys like Freel and Phillips need time off. Even power guys like Dunn could use a day off every 2 weeks. It isn't just the physical aspect, sometimes a guy just needs a mental day off.

This is one of the reasons I scratch my head when I see the Reds ( and other teams ) with 7 relievers and 5 bench guys. Get some guys who can pitch a few innings and it opens up a slot on the bench for another player which adds flexibility.

Turn Off Ads?