Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pavano On The Trade Market

Pavano On The Trade Market

This is from MLB Trade Rumors:

Pavano On The Trade Market
    Pretty much anyone you ask would tell you Philip Hughes is likely to outpitch Carl Pavano this year. Any projection system or scout would tell you that the Yankees will win more games with Hughes as the fifth starter than Pavano. Why then is Pavano, and not Hughes, penciled in as the team's fifth starter? The reason is that Pavano is due $23 million over the next two seasons. The Yankees want to get something out of him.

Best move for everyone would be to trade him. Jon Heyman of SI.com tells us that the Rockies wanted the Yankees to cover $15MM of the $20MM remaining on his deal. (Although I do believe Pavano is owed $23MM if you include his buyout). Maybe that means Colorado would take Pavano at the price of $8MM over the next two seasons? Who wouldn't? Ramon Ortiz just got three mil. However, at this point the Rockies don't need any more starters.

Heyman goes on to say that if Pavano can show promise this spring, the Yanks might get a team to take on $12-13MM of the money owed to Pavano. So, the team would pay $10MM over the next two seasons. Still not too bad, especially for an NL club looking to get creative (Cardinals?)

Pavano is on a rigorous workout regimen in hopes of returning to a Major League mound and redeeming himself.
    I would stay away from the guy, but if the Reds could extract him for a minimal prospect and $8 mil over the next two season...maybe.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pavano On The Trade Market

I'd absolutely grab him for $10 million/ 2 years. He's performed well in the National League and being a Yankee is certainly not for everyone. (Ed Whitson agrees with me wholeheartedly, BTW.)

A deal including Rheal Cormier, Jon Countlangus (tell me NY fans wouldn't immediately make him a favorite), and Phil Dumatrait makes sense for Pavano and $13 million, IMO. That makes Cincinnati responsible for only $10 million.

If WK could get rid of Milton straight up for Pavano, I'd do that as well. But I think New York is looking for relievers and suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    This is from MLB Trade Rumors:

I would stay away from the guy, but if the Reds could extract him for a minimal prospect and $8 mil over the next two season...maybe.
    Even at that price, Pavano is risky. His upside is league average and even then, you're hoping for somewhere around 100 innings...
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Man Pills

I'd stay away from Pavano like I would from a plague-ridden zombie with a terrible sneeze.

He could have some upside, is he still dating Alissa Milano?
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    He could have some upside, is he still dating Alissa Milano?
    According to a magazine in the checkout at the supermarket, Alissa has the hots for Justin Timberlake.

Can Pavano sing a mean falsetto?
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd absolutely grab him for $10 million/ 2 years. He's performed well in the National League and being a Yankee is certainly not for everyone. (Ed Whitson agrees with me wholeheartedly, BTW.)
    I don't really think Pavano's problem was New York; one can't really tell that from less than a season's work. His problem is that he gets injured if someone 500 miles away slices an unripe tomato. the man did not pitch last year in large part because he injured his butt. His BUTT.

I don't think the Reds can afford to take that chance on another extremely injury-prone pitcher. I honestly would not be surprised if Carl Pavano never pitches again.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Carl Pavano's career reminds me of Ron Bryant, who won 24 games for the Giants back in 1973. Didn't do anything good after that.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd stay away from Pavano like I would from a plague-ridden zombie with a terrible sneeze.
    That's pretty bad.

Now that Eric Milton only has 1 more year at $9 million, there are actually some worse contracts out there.

Pavano's is one of them.

I'd give them Milton for Pavano with the Yankees paying the difference in the contracts.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Nah, I would rather take my chances with Milton in his walk year that several years of Pavano.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    According to a magazine in the checkout at the supermarket, Alissa has the hots for Justin Timberlake.

Can Pavano sing a mean falsetto?
    If you hum a few bars I will give it a shot....
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    I don't think Timberlake is a very good pitcher.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

We've already stockpiled enough middling, aging, average, oft-injured pitchers with questionable contracts.

"More please!"
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Turn Off Ads?