Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

  1. #1
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...702110451/1071

    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

    We got general manager Wayne Krivsky's thoughts on some subjects near and dear to Reds fans. We started with the one that will be debated as long as he's GM - the trade that sent Austin Kearns, Felipe Lopez and Ryan Wagner to Washington for Bill Bray, Gary Majewski (far left) and Royce Clayton:

    The Washington trade

    "It's like any trade. You have to give it some time to see how it shakes out over time. Even the (Aaron) Harang-for-Jose Guillen trade - from what I understand - there were people saying, 'What are you doing getting a guy like that for a proven guy like Guillen?' It turns out it was a good move. When you're dealing with young players, it takes years. I'm satisfied with what we got. I don't like the circumstances of getting a player who was hurt at the time of the trade. We'll deal with that."

    Homer Bailey

    "We're glad we have him. I spent some time with him on the Winter Caravan. I thought he handled himself very well. He's mature, level-headed. He understands where he's at. He understands we're all in this together, that we want to do what's best for him long term and short term. I don't think he's getting too far ahead of himself. It's a mature attitude he has for a 20-year-old."
    ADVERTISEMENT

    ADAM DUNN

    "Glad to have him, too. I know Adam put a lot of pressure on himself in September after (Ken) Griffey went out. I think from talking to him he feels embarrassed - I don't know if that's the right word - but I know he's disappointed. I like to think he's worked hard and he'll be much better for the experience of last year."

    The closer situation

    "That will evolve in spring training. I think we've got some capable guys. It will probably be a committee. It's up to Jerry (Narron) and our staff. They might experiment with some guys in spring training. It's up to them. Maybe we don't have one guy every night. Maybe we do. I'm not smart enough to figure that out. We've got a nice mix of veterans and young guys with good stuff. Any manager would like to have a regular closer." Eddie Guardado (above) signed a minor-league deal recently but won't be ready for the start of the season.

    CEO Bob Castellini

    "I can't say enough. He gave me my big opportunity that I've been waiting for for a long time. I'm very comfortable with our relationship. It's very open, very honest. He's very supportive. I feel very fortunate to have him as the owner. As long as I wanted an opportunity like this, to get it with an owner like him, it makes it twice as good."
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,794

    Re: Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

    The Washington trade

    "It's like any trade. You have to give it some time to see how it shakes out over time. Even the (Aaron) Harang-for-Jose Guillen trade - from what I understand - there were people saying, 'What are you doing getting a guy like that for a proven guy like Guillen?' It turns out it was a good move. When you're dealing with young players, it takes years. I'm satisfied with what we got. I don't like the circumstances of getting a player who was hurt at the time of the trade. We'll deal with that."
    I don't think I've heard that from Krivsky's mouth before.

    The Jose Guillen trade was a deadline deal that brought talent to a going-nowhere team in exchange for a pending free agent. The Kearns/Lopez deal involved jettisoning two everyday players from a contending team in exchange for two bullpen arms (one unproven, one with a mediocre ceiling), an ancient shortstop, and minor league throw-ins. It occurred well before the deadline, and Krivsky stated at the time that the bullpen needed *immediate* help.

    Apples and oranges.

    Just admit it was a bad deal, Wayne. They happen sometimes. Admit it and move on.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  4. #3
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,497

    Re: Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Just admit it was a bad deal, Wayne. They happen sometimes. Admit it and move on.
    This isn't directed at you, so don't take it this way, its just a generalization. But even if he comes out and says it was a bad move and moves on (which it seems he has moved on) I don't think anyone else is going to move on who doesn't like the trade, becuase it is brought up on this board alone 20 times a day.

  5. #4
    The Mad Monk Jaycint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,283

    Re: Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

    The closer situation

    "That will evolve in spring training. I think we've got some capable guys. It will probably be a committee. It's up to Jerry (Narron) and our staff. They might experiment with some guys in spring training. It's up to them. Maybe we don't have one guy every night. Maybe we do. I'm not smart enough to figure that out. We've got a nice mix of veterans and young guys with good stuff. Any manager would like to have a regular closer." Eddie Guardado (above) signed a minor-league deal recently but won't be ready for the start of the season.
    That's reassuring...

  6. #5
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

    I think it was a bad trade. I think Krivsky made the deal with the hope of immediate help for the bullpen and winning the division in '06. That didn't happen. Both players underperformed badly.

    Having said all of that, I'd be pretty upset if Krivsky came out and said "my mistake, that was a bad trade that I made." He's got 2 players that he traded FOR that are on this team. They are a part of the Cincinnati Reds this year and will be for the next couple years at least. What would that say to them if Krivsky came out and said "I made an awful trade."

    You can't do that if you are Wayne Krivsky, even if you know it's true.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  7. #6
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,794

    Re: Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

    Maybe it's just me, but I like a leader who can recognize his own screwups, admit to them, and learn from them. I can't stand guys who rationalize like a 5 year-old telling his parents why it's not his fault that he broke the cookie jar.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  8. #7
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I like a leader who can recognize his own screwups, admit to them, and learn from them. I can't stand guys who rationalize like a 5 year-old telling his parents why it's not his fault that he broke the cookie jar.
    I do too Johnny, but can't he do that without running to the press to issue a mea culpa? There are other considerations, as Red Leader pointed out, that make it less appropriate for a leader to basically say, "the guys I got sucked" in the press. Behind closed doors is probably the better way to handle it.

    And the cynic in me thinks that even if he were to publicially admit he was wrong people would continue to complain because either he didn't admit he was wrong the way they wanted him to, or because a leader should lead, or whatever reason they can manufacture. There are some folks who just aren't going to let the trade go and no matter what the guy does they are going to dog him for it, IMO.

    BTW - that doesn't mean people shouldn't say they don't like the trade if they don't like it, but some people just can't let something go and are going to think Wayne sucks no matter what he does because of the trade. It's a very small segment, but it does exist.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 02-12-2007 at 10:37 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  9. #8
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,794

    Re: Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I do too Johnny, but can't he do that without running to the press to issue a mea culpa? There are other considerations, as Red Leader pointed out, that make it less appropriate for a leader to basically say, "the guys I got sucked" in the press. Behind closed doors is probably the better way to handle it.

    And the cynic in me thinks that even if he were to publicially admit he was wrong people would continue to complain because either he didn't admit he was wrong the way they wanted him to, or because a leader should lead, or whatever reason they can manufacture. There are some folks who just aren't going to let the trade go and no matter what the guy does they are going to dog him for it, IMO.

    BTW - that doesn't mean people shouldn't say they don't like the trade if they don't like it, but some people just can't let something go and are going to think Wayne sucks no matter what he does because of the trade. It's a very small segment, but it does exist.
    I don't think he needs to run to the press with it, but when asked (as he so often is), it would be nice if he would cop to it. I think rationalizing it will haunt him more (especially in the eyes of the fans) than saying "Hey, it was a bad deal. I thought it would work but it didn't. I won't let that kind of thing happen again."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  10. #9
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I don't think he needs to run to the press with it, but when asked (as he so often is), it would be nice if he would cop to it. I think rationalizing it will haunt him more (especially in the eyes of the fans) than saying "Hey, it was a bad deal. I thought it would work but it didn't. I won't let that kind of thing happen again."
    I guess it all depends on how he handles it/says it.

    The rationalizing seems to hurt him in the eyes of the serrious fans. They are the ones still discussing it, talking about it's ramifications, etc. Casual fans probably have already forgotten the trade and moved on from it. That's why I question whether "applogizing" for it would do any good. It might placate 15% of the fans, while 85% of the fans could care less.

    At the end of the day, if Wayne thinks it was a good move, he's likely not going to cop to it.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  11. #10
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,794

    Re: Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    At the end of the day, if Wayne thinks it was a good move, he's likely not going to cop to it.
    What really bothers me is the idea that he might still think it was a good move.

    :shudder:
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  12. #11
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,173

    Re: Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I don't think he needs to run to the press with it, but when asked (as he so often is), it would be nice if he would cop to it. I think rationalizing it will haunt him more (especially in the eyes of the fans) than saying "Hey, it was a bad deal. I thought it would work but it didn't. I won't let that kind of thing happen again."
    He has to walk a tight line on that, though. Bray and Majewski are still in town and he surely doesn't want to throw them under a bus.

    So, he could probably say the deal didn't work out last year the way he had hoped and that Bray and Majewski will need to step up in order to justify the deal.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  13. #12
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,886

    Re: Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I like a leader who can recognize his own screwups, admit to them, and learn from them. I can't stand guys who rationalize like a 5 year-old telling his parents why it's not his fault that he broke the cookie jar.
    You also said last week that you didn't like to look at trades from the standpoint of what falls after them due to the trade. That's a major difference in philosophy from scout based analysis, you call it rationalization and he'd probably call it reality I guess. Plus you have already termed it (and many others) as a "screwup" whilst he follows the aforementioned "work in progress" ideal.

    However many minds around here are already made up, as is his. I don't see the difference.

  14. #13
    Porkchop Sandwiches DoogMinAmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Homebase, Ohio
    Posts
    2,540

    Re: Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I think it was a bad trade. I think Krivsky made the deal with the hope of immediate help for the bullpen and winning the division in '06. That didn't happen. Both players underperformed badly.

    Having said all of that, I'd be pretty upset if Krivsky came out and said "my mistake, that was a bad trade that I made." He's got 2 players that he traded FOR that are on this team. They are a part of the Cincinnati Reds this year and will be for the next couple years at least. What would that say to them if Krivsky came out and said "I made an awful trade."

    You can't do that if you are Wayne Krivsky, even if you know it's true.

    My thoughts exactly. What he says and what he knows and feels may be two entirely different things, politicking is important, no matter how much many of us may despise it.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

    Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

  15. #14
    Porkchop Sandwiches DoogMinAmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Homebase, Ohio
    Posts
    2,540

    Re: Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He has to walk a tight line on that, though. Bray and Majewski are still in town and he surely doesn't want to throw them under a bus.

    So, he could probably say the deal didn't work out last year the way he had hoped and that Bray and Majewski will need to step up in order to justify the deal.
    That is almost word for word a quote from him I had seen on this board not too long ago. The question is, if he had said exactly what M2 has written above, is that enough to quell those who feel he could make the same mistake again?
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

    Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

  16. #15
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,191

    Re: Q & A: Krivsky Unfiltered

    Yeah, with Bray and Majewski still on the team, WK can't really say what he thinks of the trade.

    What's done is done and Krivsky/Narron have to make the best of what the realities are today. Undermining players still on the team doesn't accomplish that no matter how much we want to know what he *really* thinks.

    Maybe after Krivsky moves on after some number of years, we'll see an interview with him in 2017 saying "yeah, I really bollixed up that trade, it didn't turn out at all like I wanted, I wish I never made it".

    Pay attention to the open sky


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25