Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Ten Commish speaks about SEC

Big Ten Commish speaks about SEC

"I love speed and the SEC has great speed, especially on the defensive line, but there are appropriate balances when mixing academics and athletics. Each school, as well as each conference, simply must do what fits their mission regardless of what a recruiting service recommends. I wish we had six teams among the top 10 recruiting classes every year, but winning our way requires some discipline and restraint with the recruitment process. Not every athlete fits athletically, academically or socially at every university. Fortunately, we have been able to balance our athletic and academic mission so that we can compete successfully and keep faith with our academic standards.

The complete statement is here:

http://bigten.cstv.com/sports/m-foot...020907aaa.html

Now, there is no doubt some truth in what he says, but this is just a very bizarre statement to make by Delaney. I also fail to see how this scud missile attack on the integrity of another conference advances the interests of the Big Ten.
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Re: Big Ten Commish speaks about SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    "I love speed and the SEC has great speed, especially on the defensive line, but there are appropriate balances when mixing academics and athletics. Each school, as well as each conference, simply must do what fits their mission regardless of what a recruiting service recommends. I wish we had six teams among the top 10 recruiting classes every year, but winning our way requires some discipline and restraint with the recruitment process. Not every athlete fits athletically, academically or socially at every university. Fortunately, we have been able to balance our athletic and academic mission so that we can compete successfully and keep faith with our academic standards.

The complete statement is here:

http://bigten.cstv.com/sports/m-foot...020907aaa.html

Now, there is no doubt some truth in what he says, but this is just a very bizarre statement to make by Delaney. I also fail to see how this scud missile attack on the integrity of another conference advances the interests of the Big Ten.

Do I sense some sour grapes over the national championship?

This is in no way shape or form directed at Buckeye fans, but at Delaney.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Yeah, I'm a huge Bucks fan and a Big 10 fan, but this just sounds like he is a little sour about the Natn'l Championship and the recent recruiting season.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

What a baby....sorry you can't compete. Basketball, football, baseball,track&field, etc.

Sounds like the big Ten needs a new commish. All division 1 athletes have the same minimal grade requirements to play D-1 sports.

What was Maurice Clarett's SAT score??? Please.....

I promise you if the #1 highschool football player in the nation scores the minimal SAT score required by the NCAA...he gets in at OSU, Michigan, M.State, Illinois, etc. The only exception is Notre Dame, they are a private university.
    Last edited by George Foster; 02-12-2007 at 10:10 PM.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post

What a baby....sorry you can't compete. Basketball, football, baseball,track&field, etc.

Sounds like the big Ten needs a new commish. All division 1 athletes have the same minimal grade requirements to play D-1 sports.

I promise you if the #1 highschool football player in the nation scores the minimal SAT score required by the NCAA...he gets in at OSU, Michigan, M.State, Illinois, etc. The only exception is Notre Dame, they are a private university.
    Ohio State and Michigan have vastly different academic criteria for recruits when compared to Michigan State. MSU takes anyone and everyone who passes the NCAA Clearinghouse. OSU and UM do not take anyone and everyone. Usually each year, Tressel gets one or two recruits who he gets to present to a special acceptance committee if they haven't met the "OSU requirements". If they pass admissions for OSU, then they're in. It's not as easy as you think. Just ask Dajuan Morgan, Josh Chichester, Brandon McKinney, etc.

Maurice Clarett had a great gpa and great scores. Nice try though.

Other than Michigan State there is no comparison with SEC schools and the Big Ten. The gap is widening also.
    The #1 recruit does not get into Ohio State or Michigan as easily as you might believe. Jim Tressel has not been able to recruit some of the best players in the nation recently because of major changes in admission policy. That's a fact.
    The SEC oversigns and you can look at Tennessee 06 class as proof.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

SEC Hockey sucks

I applaud the guy for saying that if that was the reality. But my guess is the reality is that administrators in these big time athletic departments and conferences have zero interest in their athletes academic performance so long as it doesn't create negative publicity to affect potential incoming athletes.

Superior athletes = championships = good reputation = $$$$$$

No where in that equation is education or an academic mission...

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Usually each year, Tressel gets one or two recruits who he gets to present to a special acceptance committee if they haven't met the "OSU requirements".
    Either you have requirements or not. Which is it? If you are really, really good the "special acceptance committee" will get you in school?

Either you have requirements or not. Which is it? If you are really, really good the "special acceptance committee" will get you in school?
    Case in point: Major Wright a top ranked safety out of Florida. A US Army All-American. He loved his trip up to the OSU-Michigan game, and wanted to commit. Tressel could not take his commitment at that time because he had not qualified for Ohio State's acceptance criteria. Tressel told him to work hard. Wright went back worked hard, but was still borderline once grades were posted in January. Urban Meyer could take him on the spot no questions asked, Tressel could not guarantee that Wright would be admitted. Wright really wanted to go to Ohio State, but given the possible uncertainty of his admission, he chose Florida.

In fairness Tressel is given two "passes", these are for kids that are really close academically, not for longshots. Supposedly those two passes were used this year on players of similar value to Wright. I won't name them, but if you have followed OSU recruiting this year you will know who they are.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Case in point: Major Wright a top ranked safety out of Florida. A US Army All-American. He loved his trip up to the OSU-Michigan game, and wanted to commit. Tressel could not take his commitment at that time because he had not qualified for Ohio State's acceptance criteria. Tressel told him to work hard. Wright went back worked hard, but was still borderline once grades were posted in January. Urban Meyer could take him on the spot no questions asked, Tressel could not guarantee that Wright would be admitted. Wright really wanted to go to Ohio State, but given the possible uncertainty of his admission, he chose Florida.

In fairness Tressel is given two "passes", these are for kids that are really close academically, not for longshots. Supposedly those two passes were used this year on players of similar value to Wright. I won't name them, but if you have followed OSU recruiting this year you will know who they are.
    If this is the case OSU is shooting themselves in the foot. They don't have requirements, because they make exceptions. A requirement is a requirement. "I don't cheat on my wife...except every odd year during a month that starts with the letter J." If this is the case....I do cheat on my wife...I'm kidding myself. This might be a bad analogy, but for the guys that don't get this chance for a "pass" it's horrible.

Speaking not from an athletic standpoint, but I can personally attest to the increased requirement for admission into OSU. I had a close friend who coming out of high school had a B+ GPA with a 21 on his ACT. He was denied entrance into OSU. The actual admissions office at OSU has increased requirements to get in dramatically. OSU is not the same school from a generation ago when anyone graduating from an Ohio high school gained admission.

If anyone believes stuff like this only occurs in D-1 athletics, that is not true. When I was in high school, a baseball coach from an unnamed university visited my high school to talk to me. This university is very highly regarded academically with an average ACT score of about a 31-32. It is not D-1, maybe D-2 or D-3, I forget. Anyways, the coach gave me some literature that advertised the strong academics of the university. His exact words to me were "If you can pull a 21 on the ACT then I'll personally make sure you're in. Don't worry about any of these stats."

It happens on all levels of college athletics, D-1 all the way on down.

If this is the case OSU is shooting themselves in the foot. They don't have requirements, because they make exceptions. A requirement is a requirement. "I don't cheat on my wife...except every odd year during a month that starts with the letter J." If this is the case....I do cheat on my wife...I'm kidding myself. This might be a bad analogy, but for the guys that don't get this chance for a "pass" it's horrible.
    One caveat, all these kids with passes have already made the grade with the NCAA. They are free and clear with the NCAA, the pass refers to a kid who has the grades or is trending very close to the cutoff who after another grading period in high school will make it. The pass does not allow admission, it allows them to sign, they must still improve their grades and meet the standard. Very highly rated wide reciever Ray Small did this last year, and he even needed to take summer classes to get in. Three years ago Freddie Lenix a LB, who eventually ended up at UC, got the pass and failed to gain entrance, he enrolled at a Community College. He didn't improve enough to get into Ohio State, yet he could get into Cincinnati.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Yeah you're right George that's basically the same.

To be fair the letter was in response to a column saying the Big Ten schools should lower admissions for their athletes in order to compete.

The whole context of the letter is, that the Big Ten will not lower admissions standards. And they are competing very well thank you very little.

George, there is no argument here. UM and TOSU, along with most Big Ten schools have much higher admissions requirements than their SEC counterparts. (Vanderbilt excluded of course.)
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Amazing to me that in a little over one month's time the debate has gone from "is the Big Ten the best football conference?" to "why the Big Ten is not the best?" I would say the latter is the most realistic debate.

As a fan I don't care whose football team has the best SAT scores. I want to win the game with NCAA academically eligible players. Aside from that I don't care which team would look better on a Jeopardy show.

I don't know which conference educates its players better, but I do know there's no doubt which conference plays better football.

Turn Off Ads?