Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Ten Commish speaks about SEC

Re: Big Ten Commish speaks about SEC

I don't disagree with you Sea Ray. I only see the team, so I don't necessarily care that IU has a high or low graduation rate, or is admitting Rhodes Scholars.
    But I sure want my IU's president and Athletic Department to care.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

You really think the IU athletic department cares about the education of the basketball players? They may say they do, but I don't buy it. What brings in more money? Winning Big Ten and NCAA Championships or players with high GPA's? It's all about money. The only reason they care about academic performance is that it might hurt their reputation which could cause them to lose valuable recruits.

I think it matters that they get kids in that will stay eligible.
    Admittedly easier to do at IU than at Northwestern. Probably harder than a lot of SEC schools.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think it matters that they get kids in that will stay eligible.
    Admittedly easier to do at IU than at Northwestern. Probably harder than a lot of SEC schools.
    Staying eligible is a whole nother can of Worms, just ask Clem Haskins and Minnesota on how that is working out for them

Using the NCAA's Academic Progress Rates to compare the two conferences, in football only, one finds this:

Big Ten
    Northwestern -- 961
    Penn St. -- 957
    Michigan -- 952
    Iowa -- 950
    Indiana -- 931
    OSU -- 925
    Illinois -- 918
    Minnesota -- 918
    Wisconsin -- 914
    Purdue -- 910
    MSU -- 901
    Average: 931.2

SEC:
    Auburn -- 981
    Florida -- 966
    Ole Miss -- 958
    Vanderbilt -- 957
    UGa -- 950
    Arkansas -- 940
    Kentucky -- 940
    LSU -- 935
    Tennessee -- 926
    MSU -- 920
    Bama -- 916
    USC -- 911
    Average: 941.7
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Using the NCAA's Academic Progress Rates to compare the two conferences, in football only, one finds this:

Big Ten
    Northwestern -- 961
    Penn St. -- 957
    Michigan -- 952
    Iowa -- 950
    Indiana -- 931
    OSU -- 925
    Illinois -- 918
    Minnesota -- 918
    Wisconsin -- 914
    Purdue -- 910
    MSU -- 901
    Average: 931.2

SEC:
    Auburn -- 981
    Florida -- 966
    Ole Miss -- 958
    Vanderbilt -- 957
    UGa -- 950
    Arkansas -- 940
    Kentucky -- 940
    LSU -- 935
    Tennessee -- 926
    MSU -- 920
    Bama -- 916
    USC -- 911
    Average: 941.7

Auburn being the highest?

That completely invalidates the list. And UT being better than half of the Big 10 teams? Please. What kind of formula does the NCAA use?

I imagine that list shows improvement not overall performance, thus the lower schools will look better because they have more room for improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I imagine that list shows improvement not overall performance, thus the lower schools will look better because they have more room for improvement
    Not really.

Here’s how it works: incentives and disincentives are tied to meaningful measures of academic performance that involve the academic progress rate (APR), the NCAA graduation success rate (GSR), and/or federal graduation rate data.

The APR is an academic measurement that includes primarily currently enrolled student-athletes. The federal methodology and the GSR do not reflect current, actual conditions.

The APR was developed to provide a more accurate, real time “snapshot” of a team’s academic success and to serve as a primary measurement on which incentives and disincentives will be based.

The APR is not intended to replace the federal measure or GSR; rather, it is a fairer measure that will help provide accurate, real-time data on academic progress on which the NCAA will base its reform principles.

The APR provides a much clearer picture of the current academic “culture” in each sport, and includes eligibility, retention, and graduation as factors in the rate calculation.
    http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/academic...ic_reform.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I would like someone to look me straight in the face and tell me Auburn's football program has smarter football players than Northwestern's. Please. . .someone. . . without laughing. I know there have been multiple times that a recruit couldn't get into a Florida school only to go up to Auburn and become eligible.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I would like someone to look me straight in the face and tell me Auburn's football program has smarter football players than Northwestern's. Please. . .someone. . . without laughing. I know there have been multiple times that a recruit couldn't get into a Florida school only to go up to Auburn and become eligible.
    The calculation doesn't measure how smart your kids are or actually how many of them graduate. It is intended to measure the "progress" of the kids in your system as they move towards graduation.

925 is considered acceptable, anything lower and you potentially will start losing scholarships.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    The calculation doesn't measure how smart your kids are or actually how many of them graduate. It is intended to measure the "progress" of the kids in your system as they move towards graduation.

925 is considered acceptable, anything lower and you potentially will start losing scholarships.

GL
    I'm actually surprised that NW, Penn State, and Vanderbilt are as high as they are. I would think the wash out rate for general student body is pretty high at those universities.
    It does have quite an impact on whom you can allow in to the university, even if its just to play ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'm actually surprised that NW, Penn State, and Vanderbilt are as high as they are. I would think the wash out rate for general student body is pretty high at those universities.
    It does have quite an impact on whom you can allow in to the university, even if its just to play ball.
    Not really. Better schools also tend to have higher retention rates, i.e. less drop outs. More selective=better success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    Not really. Better schools also tend to have higher retention rates, i.e. less drop outs. More selective=better success rate.
    There is something else you need to consider....money! If you are paying
    25-30K a year to attend Vandy, they don't want to flunk you out. I'm sure they will, if you are a total screw up, but they will give you every chance they can. Also, with smaller class sizes at private schools, the professors get to know the students on a first name basis. It's harder to give a kid a bad grade if you know them personally and you know they are trying. It's just human nature. At a state school, you are just a number the first 2 years. Private schools take no tax dollars. All their revenue is from tuition and gifts.

It is true that with higher standards, you get kids with better potential.
    Last edited by George Foster; 02-15-2007 at 11:25 PM.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Turn Off Ads?