Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stupid things you've done

Stupid things you've done

Everybody has moments of stupidity - or "blonde moments" - so what is something stupid you've done or said.

I'll start - my sister and her family were here visiting me a couple of months ago. My sister was going to give my neice a bath and she asked me if I had any shampoo. I said of course and told her it was in her hand. She said no, this is conditioner. Turns out I was using conditioner to "shampoo" my hair for about three months.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stupid things you've done

"I never seen anyone as dumb as you. You musta got manure for your brains."
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Burnt a clutch out of a car trying to pull a bush out of a flower bed.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Geez, where do I start?

Considering it is winter, I guess I'll start here: 16-years-old, driving in snow & ice for the first time. I am heading down a 2-lane country road going to hang out at my girlfriend's house. I am driving my parent's 1982 Chevy Beauville van. I get up to about 50-mph thinking this snow & ice stuff isn't too tough. Lo and behold I get to a 4-way intersection that has stopsigns at all directions; therefore, I start to apply the brakes. Oops, the van starts going sideways and then frontways and then backways and then sideways again.

As luck would have it I went off the road where there were no ditches (like there was on most of this road). There happened to be a tree nursery at the point of leaving the road. The front of the van ended up running into a big pile of smallerer tree branches/limbs that was stacked up by the nursery. I get out of the van and check for front-end damages and to my glee there is no damage. Woo-hoo I think (good ol' Dad is not going to know or kill me) as I get back in, back up into their parking lot and get back onto the road.

Later that year during the spring (I had kind of forgotten all about it) my Dad decided to change the sparkplugs on his van. I came out of the house and he asked me to come over to where the van was parked in our driveway. He had a small pile of about 8-10 branches and asked me, "Do you happen to know where these came from? I found these in the engine block of the van?" Of course I told him that I had no clue. He gave me that look like I know you are lying to me and then said, "I probably don't want to know, but please be careful when you drive." I felt guilty and learned a valuable lesson about driving on snow and ice.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

When I was twelve, I shut our back door with my hand on the glass portion instead of the wood.

It probably didn't help that the windows were open in the rest of the house.

My hand sailed through the glass in about, oh, one millisecond.

I was gutting the house we now live in, using primarily a reciprocating saw, hammer, and prybars as my toools of destruction. Our house has hot water heat, so of course copper water lines running throughout, a fact I was well aware of. In one particular place, the copper line ran through a hole cut in the baseboard. Instead of taking the time to stop and go get a handsaw or some similarly more precise instrucment, I trie dto "be careful" with the reciprocating saw and tried to cut the basebaord wood piece free. It was such a poor decision. I only barely nicked the copper pipe, but sure enough the water laced with antifreeze started spurting out! This was in winter to boot. I still cannot believe I tried to do that!
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I agreed to go on National TV when I was in college and completely zonked out of my mind.

I went to Kent St. They always have a May 4th ceremony there and you get the day off of school. A bunch of friends of mine and myself partied it up and then headed over to the ceremonies. When we walked over the hill we saw a news crew. Tom Brokaw saw us walking by and asked if I'd join him for an interview of the events. Like a moron, I said "surrrre." This was in 1995, so national news was there covering the "25th anniversary." Luckily, my parents didn't see it on TV and I never mentioned it to anyone in my family. If they had seen it, I'm sure I would have either gotten a phone call or a personal visit at school. I sounded like a complete moron on TV and looked even worse. They would not have been proud.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

When I was 17 years old I went to the bowling alley with my friend and my little brother (who was 8 at the time). We took my moms Cadillac Cimmeron (sp?). Anyway, it had been raining off and on for a week.

So we get done bowling and pull of my parking space and head towards the exit when we hit this massive puddle. Water starts shooting violently out the side of the tires (you know that cool look) and I realize this is no puddle, but rather a lake. And the water is now up to my window! Apparently this parking lot did not handle water very well.

Anyway I decide that going forward is no longer an option so I throw it in reverse and the whole car shuts down. This was back in the late 80's and back then cars and computers were just starting to mix and this was one of the first. so we can't start the car, we are surrounded by 3 feet of water and I had no idea what to do. Plus the windows were power windows and only worked when the car was on and we couldn't turn the car on! So we had to open the doors to get out. Not a good idea when in three feet of water.

Well, we opened the doors and got out and shut them as quickly as possible and we started to walk away. Well, swim away. And then I heard banging on the window. Dammit, we forgot my little brother who couldn't open his door and who would have drowned if he got it open! So I trekked back and got him out and caried him thru the lake/puddle.

Lets just say that Cadillac was never the same after I drove it into the lake (as my parents always joked well, after the year period of being pissed at me)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

My Dad had a Chevy Suburban to pull his 17' boat. It had a special tow package on it. The thing was a complete beast. We called it the Brontosaurus. Anyway, we had gotten about 8" of snow in a 3 hour time period when I was a senior in HS. The boys basketball team was playing an away game at Kettering Fairmont, our rival. I was our only hope of going. My Dad agreed to let me take the Bronto. I used to sit at a red light and throw my buddy from the middle seat up against the back window by flooring it off of the start. This thing had power. On to the story. We went to the basketball game. When it was over, we decided to go "off roading." Problem is, we didn't pick the smartest of locations. We went to the Kettering Rec Center. We drove through the parking lot and into the soccer field. I was tearing it up, spinning around and the truck was handling like a champ through the thick snow. I was plowing through the soccer field when my buddy yells "score a goal!" Like a moron, I floored it and tried to go through the soccer goal (w/no net, I'm not that stupid ). The roof of the Bronto didn't make it under the goal post. We were able to make it through, but the paint was scraped by the goal post. I worked all of the following summer to pay my Dad back to fix the paint on the roof.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

When I was 16, I let my then-12 year old sister drive my car from the driveway into the garage. She mixed up the brake and accelerator pedals and ended up driving the car through the garage wall and into our living room. The car got stuck on part of the foundation wall; otherwise, it would likely have continued on through the house, into the backyard, and into the neighbor's yard.

Mom and dad weren't too thrilled about that one.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I think I was 12 or 13 when I wondered what would happen if I put a fuse across both prongs of a partially pluged in implement in an electrical outlet. This was one of the small 1" long glass fuses with metalic ends and a fuse running the length of the cylinder.

I put on some rubber gloves (because I was being carefull) and carefully alligned the plug in the outlet so the prongs were exposed but current was still flowing. Slowly I dropped the fuse across the prongs.

A giant flash of the brightest light I've ever seen went off and a cloud of pure white smoke hung in the air. I blew the circuit and many of the outlets in the house went dead.

Within seconds Mom and Dad were yelling down into the basement, "what the bleep was that?!?!". Quickly, and without any thought I meekly yelled back up....."nothing...."
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 02-12-2007 at 01:48 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Other dumb things include:

Touching a high intensity light bulb to see how hot it was.

Slicing a bagle open with a serated bread knife and thinking, "this is ok, these knives aren't that sharp...."

Laughing in my mothers face when she paddled me and it didn't hurt. The right cross to my chin shure did hurt.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Yay!

A friend and I slid down the spillway at Houston Woods back in high school.

Sadly, I watched him do it and went anyway.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Make sure when GAC posts here that Boss & GIK have the bill paid for Data Storage.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I was tubing at that park in Mt. Washington behind Burger Chef when I was a kid and 6 of us piled on the same inner tube going down a huge hill that had a creek at the bottom.

Everybody bailed off the tube except me and the tube jumped the creek and rammed right into a set of railroad ties that made up one of the embankments. I hit the railroad ties with my head, basically. Not only did my head hurt for like 3 days, the force caused me to bite my lip- there was blood everywhere.

Very embarassing. And painful.

Turn Off Ads?