Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chargers Fire Marty Schottenheimer Following 14-2 Season

Re: Chargers Fire Marty Schottenheimer Following 14-2 Season

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Now AJ's in a bad spot though IMO. Anything short of a superbowl next year and his head will be on a stick.
    As it should be.

For all the talk about Marty not winning it all, what has Smith done? What has the Spanos ownership done? They made 1 Super Bowl but lost it, and lost in other AFC Championship games. Their legacy sure isn't much better than Marty's.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    As it should be.

For all the talk about Marty not winning it all, what has Smith done? What has the Spanos ownership done? They made 1 Super Bowl but lost it, and lost in other AFC Championship games. Their legacy sure isn't much better than Marty's.
    And it was Bobby Beathard who was the GM when the Bolts made it to the Super Bowl, not Smith.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    Well now who looks like the jackass.
    Chuckle... truth be told, I initially read it the same way you did.
    Not all who wander are lost

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    As it should be.

True enough. Although I give Smith a lot of credit. The organization had been down for awhile when he took it over; as recently as three years ago, the Mannings were turning up their noses at the organization, it wasn't good enough for Eli. It wasn't instantaneous, but Smith made some smart draft picks and some tough calls (such dealing the pick that could have landed Michael Vick and getting LT instead, coming out of Eli Manning's power play with Philip Rivers). Marty Schottenheimer deserves credit for going 14-2 with that roster; Smith deserves the credit for a roster that could go 14-2 in the AFC.

But apparently they couldn't stand each other, so Spanos had to decide which guy was more replaceable. It happens.
    Not all who wander are lost

I always Liked Marty. A stand-up guy IMO. But the "writing is on the wall" when you can't get along with your GM.

Reasons for his firing include a strained relationship with GM A.J. Smith which reached a breaking point when 4 assistants (Cam Cameron, Wade Phillips, Rob Chudzinski and Greg Manusky) left for better positions with other teams.

Team president Dean Spanos released a statement saying "Our fans deserve to know what changed for me over the last month. When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact. Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment where everyone at Charger Park would be pulling in the same direction and working at a championship level. I expect exactly that from our entire Charger organization in 2007."

It must simply be karma for Marty. He's coached some very talented teams in Cleveland, K.C., Washington, and then S.D., while putting up some impressive winning percentages in the regular season.

His playoff record of 5-13 though, says it all. Tough luck.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

This is a team I'll cheer to failure next year. Hate to do it, as I like L.T. But I don't blame the coach for this at all.

Plus, they've got some questionable characters, despite some obvious talent, and could implode easier than people think.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

GAC, I'm disappointed in you.

I'm afraid that I watched the ESPN interview with Marty. I kept picturing him in the orange and brown.

And, playoff failures nonetheless, I'd fire Crennel now and pick up Schottenheimer.

At least his teams get to the playoffs. In Cleveland, that would be bliss.

Or, ironically, taking the Browns to the Super Bowl.

Ok, I'm going off medication now.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

So the Chargers fire Schottenheimer and hire a guy who truly can't get over the hump: Norv Turner.

It's almost as if they fired Schottenheimer because they thought he deserved it and then forgot they had to hire another coach to replace him.

I have employees that I could fire for any reason- personal calls, cig breaks, whatever- but I would be hard pressed to find somebody better, so I keep them. It's like having a significant other: there are any number of reasons to get rid of them but would something new be necessarily better?

The Chargers would have been wise to do the same if their best answer was Norv Turner. Eck.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Meet the new Chargers head coach: Norv Turner.

Really, do they have any other choice? He's the only candidate out there with head coaching experience...

He did work some magic with Aikman, Smith, and Irving. Maybe he can do the same with Rivers, Tomlinson and Gates.
    Prognostications for teh win!
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Prognostications for teh win!
    Shenannigans!

Quoting oneself! Shenannigans!
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

What an awful decision by the Chargers. With that team, how do you go and hire a guy who has Norv's track record as a head coach? Just silly. Maybe this is a bad organization like the Manning's thought.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Shenannigans!

Quoting oneself! Shenannigans!
    Dude, I was just proving that I was teh winna!

You're just jealous.

CQ would have to make an official call, but I don't think we have to even bother him with this.

This is just purely a case of jealousy and not Shenanigans.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Spoken like a guilty person.......
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Get CQ in here
    Go Gators!

wow, Norv Turner?

That seems like a mistake.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?