Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Trade"

"The Trade"

I completely understand the negativity towards the trade with Washington. On paper, and based on the results so far, it was not a good trade for the Reds. (I'm not nearly as upset as the majority of the posters on here though, as I think Kearns and Lopez will never be outstanding major leaguers...not wanting to argue that here, but just wanted to let everyone know where I stand).

However...why can't this place be a little more positive. If you ask me, "The Trade" last year that will have the most lasting effect on the Reds, positive or negative, was the Arroyo for Wily Mo deal. Just as in the Washington trade seems overwhelmingly in the Nats favor, the Arroyo trade seems overwhemingly in the Reds favor.

Why do I bring this up.....just read through all the recent threads....it seems like people can't get over the Washington trade. Was it a trade made out of desparation...absolutely. However...when looking at the results of the trade and the long term consequences, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Arroyo trade evens that other one out. When we look back at this trade in a few years, I firmly think the Nats trade is going to look like a swap of average major leaguers between 2 clubs, nothing more, nothing less. However, the Arroyo/Wily Mo trade will be the one discussed 5 years from now as having the bigger impact on the Reds positive, or, admittedly negative (who knows, maybe Wily Mo has a 60 HR season in him).

So I ask...am I alone in being sick of hearing about the Nats deal??? I realize that in the scheme of this forum I'm a nobody, but is it too much to ask to just let it go. I'm tired of it. Like I said, I just think it is much ado about nothing.

Thanks for reading my rant. It's time to get excited people...can anyone say pitchers and catchers report????

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "The Trade"

What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    My point exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Now I know for a fact that horses can talk (see Mr. Ed) but I didn't know dead ones could...

"This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

It wont happen. People still bring up the Frank Robinson trade, and that one happened 40 years ago.

asking people to stop talking about it is one thing, i'm all for it. at the end of the day you can't unring a bell.

asking me to be positive about it is another thing altogether.

i suspect, just as i did with roberto kelly, i'll possess unreasonable man-hate for gary majewski for as long as he's a red, and probably forever.

The only reason that you play a season is to win a championship. To do so requires you to get to the playoffs. I see trades like the Arroyo trade as being good moves that were getting us to the playoffs. You are right in saying that Krivs deserves credit for getting Arroyo BUT when the time was right to make a trade to shore up an obvious weakness and put us over the top he blew it plain and simple. I am still in shock that the guy made the move since it was so obviously one sided and created new weaknesses. Krivs had a chance to take us to the promise land. He teased us with good trades that put us on the cusp. He then jerked the punch away. I can't completely forget until he puts us over the top.

If you are married complement your wife all day and buy her a diamond necklace and maybe a new car and then tell her you are having an affair at the end of the day. Well that's how I feel about "The trade"....
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It wont happen. People still bring up the Frank Robinson trade, and that one happened 40 years ago.
    Well to be exact, as of today (February 13, 2007), it's been 41 years, two months and four days since that ignominous day, but who's counting? Hey, they made my grandma cry - I'll never forgive that!

[okay, i found a cool site: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html]

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    The only reason that you play a season is to win a championship. To do so requires you to get to the playoffs.
    Yikes! That means there have been tens of thousands of worthless baseball games played throughout all of history.

How about playing games (and watching them) just for the sheer joy of them, the absolutely beauty. If you're only in it for the championships, you're in for a sad day indeed.

Yes, you always want the brass ring. The truth is, it doesn't come around that often. Of course, I'm looking to be in the hunt, but only time will tell if any given move helps with that goal.

But I'll still take the game to enjoy. That said, this club was imploding left and right and it was directly rated to the bullpen and the absolute uglieness that it was. He took a shot and missed the mark. We'll see how time judges it over all.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Yikes! That means there have been tens of thousands of worthless baseball games played throughout all of history.

How about playing games (and watching them) just for the sheer joy of them, the absolutely beauty. If you're only in it for the championships, you're in for a sad day indeed.

Yes, you always want the brass ring. The truth is, it doesn't come around that often. Of course, I'm looking to be in the hunt, but only time will tell if any given move helps with that goal.

But I'll still take the game to enjoy. That said, this club was imploding left and right and it was directly rated to the bullpen and the absolute uglieness that it was. He took a shot and missed the mark. We'll see how time judges it over all.
    OK maybe I was a little over the top there. (Most of my comments were meant to be a little over the edge - Hey I'm a fan) I guess there are other reasons to play such as to entertain fans, to have a job, to make billionaires worth millions more... JK

There truly can be other reasons to play but the ultimate and number 1 goal should be to win a championship.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So I ask...am I alone in being sick of hearing about the Nats deal??? I realize that in the scheme of this forum I'm a nobody, but is it too much to ask to just let it go. I'm tired of it. Like I said, I just think it is much ado about nothing.
    The more you post threads entitled 'The Trade,' the more I want to rail against Krivsky. It's a losing battle, I tell you.

I've got it! Why don't we just say anyone who mentions anything about 'The Trade' loses 50 rep points automatically! That should do it...
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    asking people to stop talking about it is one thing, i'm all for it. at the end of the day you can't unring a bell.

asking me to be positive about it is another thing altogether.

i suspect, just as i did with roberto kelly, i'll possess unreasonable man-hate for gary majewski for as long as he's a red, and probably forever.
    I know the diff between "love" and "man-love," but can you explain the difference between "hate" and "man-hate?"

I only ask because Majewski causes me to feel something that I suspect may actually be "man hate."
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I know the diff between "love" and "man-love," but can you explain the difference between "hate" and "man-hate?"
    As we learned from the educational film "Deuce Bigalow", the prefix "man-" makes virtually any word funnier.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The first rule of "The Trade" is you don't talk about "The Trade"

The second rule of "The Trade" is you don't talk about "The Trade"

Funny, the trade doesn't bother me. I think Krivsky would have dumped off Lopez and Kearns eventually anyway -- they weren't his type. It was tough that Majewski was unable to perform well last year, and I wish the Reds got a better pitcher, but maybe he will come around.

On the other hand, I get furious to this day when I think of the failure to draft Kazmir. It upsets me every time it gets mentioned. To me, it was an obvious blunder with major long-term ramifications.

I guess it's just how things hit you.

Turn Off Ads?