Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball magazine 2007 Predictions....

Baseball magazine 2007 Predictions....

The early baseball magazine predictions are starting to come out...

On the Reds, here are the predictions I have seen so far:

Sporting News: Reds predicted to finish in 5th place in the NL Central, rated 12th of 15 NL teams in their Power Poll. The summary: "Need more proof the Reds can't catch a break? Ken Griffey couldn't even make it to spring training this year without getting hurt. Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo are a nice 1-2 punch, but Kyle Lohse and Eric Milton can't prop up the rest of the rotation."

Street & Smith's Baseball Yearbook: Reds picked to finish in 5th place in the NL Central. "Last season's 46-38 record within the NL Central suggests they may be closer than thought by most. Recent history, erosion of depth among position players and the inability to land an impact hitter during the offseason allow a franchise 12 years and 6 managers removed from its last division title to remain a stealth entry."

Lindy's Baseball Preview: Reds picked to finish in 5th place in the NL Central. "Relying on a scrappy offense and a surprisingly consistent pitching staff, Narron and the Reds contended for a playoff spot and finished 3.5 games behind eventual World Champion St. Louis. A number of question marks remain: Who will be the closer? Can Griffey and Freel stay healthy? Can the organization find one more arm to complement Arroyo and Harang? If Cincinnati could find the right answers for at least two of those questions, they could battle for a postseason spot. One possibility is trading Dunn for a solid starting pitcher or solid closer. "

Athalon Sports from Sports Illustrated web site: "There's more stability now, but the Reds are still searching for an identity. Pitching had been the missing link, but once the Reds finally found some in 2006, their offense collapsed. Rather than addressing that deficiency, the Reds opted for defense in adding Gonzalez. The Reds have components of a contending team, with a couple of high-impact hitters in Dunn and Griffey, exciting young talent in Phillips and Encarnacion and workhorse starters in Arroyo and Harang. There just doesn't seem to be enough there to overcome everything the Reds lack."

It is worth noting that all these same publications picked the Reds to finish 6th last year. As usual with anyone's preseason predictions, they are interesting, but they still have to play the games....
    ďThis one was a perfect one. I donít know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. Ö I didnít know he could speak like that.Ē Brayan Pena 5/21/14

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball magazine 2007 Predictions....

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Lindy's Baseball Preview: Reds picked to finish in 5th place in the NL Central. "Relying on a scrappy offense and a surprisingly consistent pitching staff, Narron and the Reds contended for a playoff spot and finished 3.5 games behind eventual World Champion St. Louis. A number of question marks remain: Who will be the closer? Can Griffey and Freel stay healthy? Can the organization find one more arm to complement Arroyo and Harang? If Cincinnati could find the right answers for at least two of those questions, they could battle for a postseason spot. One possibility is trading Dunn for a solid starting pitcher or solid closer. "
    Closer? That's funny and stuff.

Just curious where they have the Cubs finishing, if you follow what I'm implying....

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

most publications I have perused have picked the Cubs as the team to beat in the NL Central (citing their very solid everyday lineup), all the while making fun of their massive overspending program.
    Last edited by Always Red; 02-13-2007 at 08:11 AM.

On paper the Brewers look kind of scary.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

These magazines should all be used to line bird cages.
    Win the Division

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    most publications I have perused have picked the Cubs as the team to beat in the NL Central (citing their very solid everyday lineup), all the while making fun of their massive overspending program.
    As much as everyone touts the National League Central as mediocre, I continue to suggest that this division is continally on the brink of being the best is baseball. Maybe that's the wrong way to put it, but it's certainly one of the most balanced and at some time, any team in this division could win it. Maybe that's the definition of mediocrity, but I think it's more competitive.
    I'd always rather be here than in the East where generally one or two teams dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    As much as everyone touts the National League Central as mediocre, I continue to suggest that this division is continally on the brink of being the best is baseball. Maybe that's the wrong way to put it, but it's certainly one of the most balanced and at some time, any team in this division could win it. Maybe that's the definition of mediocrity, but I think it's more competitive.
    I'd always rather be here than in the East where generally one or two teams dominate.
    I tend to agree with this. I think a lot of people say that last year the National League was mediocre (and it was) but I also think one of the reasons for this was the tremendous balance that was there. I'm sure that Westofyou and others can dig up some stat that proves this one way or another (I have no idea how to do so) but I think every season you have at least 60% of the teams playing about the same and maybe 20% playing much much better than everyone else and the other 20% playing much worse. Last year the NL had no top 20%.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    On paper the Brewers look kind of scary.
    I agree, the Brewers look like a contender for the division but I think it will depend largely on how well Fielder can fill the offensive void left by Lee.

I note an emerging theme from those predictions.

5th. Ugh, hope not.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Lindy's Baseball Preview: One possibility is trading Dunn for a solid starting pitcher or solid closer.
    When I read the word "closer" above, I threw up in my mouth a little bit.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

I got the Reds winning the division each year.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I feel like I'm the only crazy person picking the Astros to win the division.

and another one....

Beckett 2007 Baseball Preview picks the Reds to finish in 1st place in the NL Central.....
    ďThis one was a perfect one. I donít know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. Ö I didnít know he could speak like that.Ē Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

and another one....

Beckett 2007 Baseball Preview picks the Reds to finish in 1st place in the NL Central.....
    Is this a joke? I can't imagine any of the pundits picking the Reds to win the division.

and another one....

We picked up a copy of The Sporting News yesterday (a blog my son wrote on their website was quoted in this week's issue! - about the Bengals) and they had their previews in there. My wife commented that they didn't think much of the Reds chances this season. I mentioned that one magazine had picked us to win the division. She immediately said, "What, the Ladies Home Journal?". Ouch!

Turn Off Ads?