Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cubs Demise Already Begun

Cubs Demise Already Begun

The Cubs are already in trouble. Carlos Zambrano is putting pressure on the Cubbies for a LTC worth some major coin, testing the limits of Hendy's medical condition. See http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...e=MLBHeadlines. I can already see this becoming a distraction and causing some clubhouse turmoil. Gotta love how he refers to himself in the third person.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cubs Demise Already Begun

I saw the subject title and thought they just reported to spring training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Funny, I thought their demise began in 1876.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Funny, I thought their demise began in 1876.
    Maybe I should have titled this post "Cubs Demise Continues"

I can't believe Zambrano has already thrown so many pitches at the age of 25. That seems like a bad thing.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I can't believe Zambrano has already thrown so many pitches at the age of 25. That seems like a bad thing.
    Could be a good thing. Best-of-their-generation types can do that. Obviously we've got no way of knowing whether that will be Zambrano. He's got the stuff and possibly the arm to do it, but I figure that doughy body of his will betray him.

But, as a general rule, I like pitchers who can carry a heavy workload. It's the guys who can't who worry me more.

justincredible, to be fair the Cubs slide didn't really start until 1909 and the franchise didn't collapse until 1940 (25 of 31 seasons from 1909-1939 were winning affairs and the club won six pennants, 48 of 67 seasons from 1940-2006 have been losing affairs with only one pennant -- in the war-depleted league of 1945 -- to show for their paltry efforts). Just last year they eclipsed the Phillies' 97-season championship-free streak.

After them the longest streaks belong to:

Cleveland Indians - 58 seasons
    San Francisco/New York Giants - 52 seasons
    Texas Rangers/Washington Senators - 46 seasons
    Houston Astros/Colt 45s - 45 seasons

For a field pick, you've got three of the four members of the class of 1969 -- San Diego, Milwaukee/Seattle, Washington/Montreal -- none of whom has won a championship in 38 seasons. If not for Don Denkinger's infamous call in the 1985 World Series, the Royals would be there with them.

Other notable championship-free streaks in baseball history:

Chicago White Sox - 87 seasons (1918-2004)
    Boston Red Sox - 85 seasons (1919-2003)
    Baltimore Orioles/St. Louis Browns/Milwaukee Brewers - 65 seasons (1901-1965)
    Minnesota Twins/Washington Senators - 63 seasons (1925-1986)
    Brooklyn Dodgers/Robins - 52 seasons (1902-1953)

The Phillies' 97-season streak went from 1883-1979. Actually, it's surprising more wasn't made of the Cubs setting the new standard.
    Last edited by M2; 02-13-2007 at 11:41 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

but I figure that doughy body of his will betray him.
    Unless his manager betrays his arm first

Gotta love anybody who refers to themselves in third person...haha....wow...he's a crazy man!

Senor Votto

I was thinking Alfonso got hurt and would be out all season when I saw this thread.

Zambrono is a good pitcher, not a great pitcher. He also has the mental game of about a 5 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Zambrono is a good pitcher, not a great pitcher. He also has the mental game of about a 5 year old.
    Last 4 season he's easily in the top 8 in MLB, and he' s 4th in that span in batters faced... so that could bite him in the butt down the line.
    Code:
    CAREER
    2003-2006

STRIKEOUTS/9 IP displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    WALKS/9 IP displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    BATTERS FACED displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    ERA vs. the league average displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    INNINGS PITCHED displayed only--not a sorting criteria

RSAA                           RSAA    SO/9 IP   BB/9 IP     BFP      ERA      IP     
    1    Johan Santana               164     9.69     2.04     3358     1.71    851.2   
    2    Brandon Webb                126     7.24     3.12     3576     1.05    852.2   
    3    Roy Halladay                125     6.38     1.46     3061     1.29    760.2   
    4    Roger Clemens               124     8.33     2.73     3045     1.55    750.2   
    5    Carlos Zambrano             123     8.03     3.93     3620     1.19    861     
    6    Roy Oswalt                  114     7.23     1.93     3395     1.22    826.2   
    7    Pedro Martinez              106     9.29     2.32     3045     1.19    753.1   
    8    John Smoltz                  94     7.97     1.91     2458     1.37    607.2   
    9    Jason Schmidt                91     8.85     3.17     3377     1.00    818     
    10   Chris Carpenter              85     7.66     1.84     2595     1.25    645.1

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

He does seem to get easily rattled. Was it last year or the year before when he tried to pick our pitcher off 3rd? I think it was Milton. He ended up throwing it away.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He does seem to get easily rattled. Was it last year or the year before when he tried to pick our pitcher off 3rd? I think it was Milton. He ended up throwing it away.
    He also breaks a bat about every third game.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

redsgabp

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The Cubs are already in trouble. Carlos Zambrano is putting pressure on the Cubbies for a LTC worth some major coin, testing the limits of Hendy's medical condition. See http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...e=MLBHeadlines. I can already see this becoming a distraction and causing some clubhouse turmoil. Gotta love how he refers to himself in the third person.
    I think Carlos Zambrano is a A+++ pitcher.

and with that being said, if I was the cubs owner, I would trade him to Kansas City!

A player demanding a big contract before spring training or else???

"I would be like ok, guess what? Pack you bags for KC LOL@ u Z!" I said as the Cubs owner.

He may deserve a big contract but, demanding it and putting it in the press is going too far.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    He also breaks a bat about every third game.

His own?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?