Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose

Pete Rose

I think there comes a time when fans of Pete Rose should tell his detractors to "shove it." It's to a point where it almost doesn't matter if he gets into the hall of fame. Pete Rose brought it every single night. He was an opponent's worst nightmare because he wanted it more than they did. He's made his mistakes and paid his debt. If the nay sayers don't appreciate his accomplishments, that's their problem. I grew up in Cincinnati. I saw what he could do first hand. I was in the stands the night of 4,192 (green seats, outfield). I felt the electricity he generated and I think baseball should be grateful instead of pimping Pete out when they need him. The sportswriters can take their hall of fame ballots and put them where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned. The fans have spoken on more than one occasion when it comes to all century teams and so forth.

I have a child on the way and if it turns out to be a boy, you can count on me showing him video clips of Pete Rose playing the game.

I know this is old news, but I had to vent. I watch that video clip on Reds.com over and over. Can't wait to see his exhibit. Peace.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pete Rose

I want to thank you for bringing up this topic because, Lord knows, we've really never had the opportunity to discuss this subject at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I grew up in Cincinnati. I saw what he could do first hand.
    Still lived there in 1989 eh?

He sure blew that season all to hell.

BTW, lots of us grew up in Cincinnati, some of us even left and occasionally visit. And every time someone brings up the 500 pound elephant in the room.

Pete Rose, sure could play. Are you going to show your kid the video clips since 1989 too?

My dad saw him signing balls in Vegas a couple days ago. Had some nice tan cowboy boots on.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Still lived there in 1989 eh?

He sure blew that season all to hell.

BTW, lots of us grew up in Cincinnati, some of us even left and occasionally visit. And every time someone brings up the 500 pound elephant in the room.

Pete Rose, sure could play. Are you going to show your kid the video clips since 1989 too?
    With all due respect, you fall under the group I would say "shove it."

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Yep, that's probably what Pete thought when Hutchinson asked him to quit hanging around the tracks so much back in 1964.

Or what he thought in 1970 when MLB sent investigator Harry Fitzgibbons out to talk to Pete and see what was up with all those gambling rumors, well we know for sure that's what he thought when MLB offered him an out before they would have to give him one back when he managed the Reds

I was watching a "Magnum P.I." rerun the other day.

Mac, Magnum's navy pal, stopped by the estate to tell Magnum that he (Mac) had resigned his commission. Magnum was shocked. He said, "Give up the navy? That's like Pete Rose giving up baseball."

The episode originally ran in '83, and it sure sounded weird hearing it now.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post

Mac, Magnum's navy pal, stopped by the estate to tell Magnum that he (Mac) had resigned his commission. Magnum was shocked. He said, "Give up the navy? That's like Pete Rose giving up baseball."

Did Mac tell Magnum to "Shove It?"

Because that would have been perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post

Dont let Pete know this or he will go after royalty fees.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Did Mac tell Magnum to "Shove It?"

Because that would have been perfect.
    Actually, it was all a trick set by Buck that exposed Magnum as a target for Ivan, who was really being stalked by Nevo, who wasn't Nevo at all, but rather a KGB spy who didn't care about Ivan in the least, because he was a diversion. Nevo was actually going after the Japanese delegation, but he wasn't doing it himself. No, no. He had programmed TC to do it back in 'Nam ten years ago, and was activating him now with psychotropic gum.

No, I'm not kidding.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Hey, at least you're respectful when you tell people to shove it.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Hey, at least you're respectful when you tell people to shove it.
    LOL, I try. I could have just said !

LOL, I try. I could have just said !

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    My dad saw him signing balls in Vegas a couple days ago. Had some nice tan cowboy boots on.

That's from this past summer when I was in Vegas. We didn't even know where he was, just sort of stumbled into him. Apparently Bench was there earlier doing the same thing.

That hat he's wearing is U-G-L-Y

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?