Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey & Mario Soto

Homer Bailey & Mario Soto

From articles I've read about Homer, the only thing missing from his repertoire is a quality changeup. The Reds have a guy with one of the best changeups in baseball during his playing days in Mario Soto at the ready. I think Bailey is with the Reds by May or June, depending on the early performance of the 4th and/or 5th starters.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey & Mario Soto

Any word on what Mario will be doing this year? He seemed to make a real impact on a couple of young kids last year. I never really heard much about him after his temporary stint in Louisville was up last year.

Bailey should be sharing a room with Soto this spring. I know Coffey, Milton, Ramirez, and Cueto all either improved or developed a changeup last year thanks to Soto.

Baily and Cueto should not leave Soto's side this spring. I wish the reds would use Soto more than just in spring training. It would be nice to see him work with prospects during the season as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Baily and Cueto should not leave Soto's side this spring. I wish the reds would use Soto more than just in spring training. It would be nice to see him work with prospects during the season as well.

yeah i dont understand why soto isnt around more either. hopefully bailey develops a change with the help of soto and has 2 above average secondary pitches to go with his dominant fastball.

where do you guys think cueto will start this year, A+ or AA?

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10 View Post
    where do you guys think cueto will start this year, A+ or AA?
    My guess is the DL.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    My guess is the DL.
    What is wrong with Johnny ?

Nothing yet. I just expect the worst and hope for the best. People say his frame and delivery have a pretty good chance of leading to injury down the road.

I'm pretty sure Soto didn't want to hang around all season because he wanted to be with his family. Not for sure, but I think I remember reading that.

Thats what I remember reading as well, he was in Louisville as pitching coach because Ruhle's cancer got worse, then Soto left the team because he missed his wife and family. He was only asked to come to spring training with the other former Reds (Foster, Davis, Browning, etc) by Castellini, did so well they wanted him to do more.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I would say that Cueto is pegged to start in AA this year.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 02-15-2007 at 11:50 AM. Reason: I cant spell

take your thumb and pointing finger and make a circle and throw your pitches like a fastball and whoopie you have a change up lol so I am told by ex oriole Scott Mcgregor who taught me and damn if that didn't do me well for sometime
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    take your thumb and pointing finger and make a circle and throw your pitches like a fastball and whoopie you have a change up lol so I am told by ex oriole Scott Mcgregor who taught me and damn if that didn't do me well for sometime
    Same way I always threw a change up.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Yup, the old "circle change". If you can throw it with the same motion (and it should be relatively easy for most to do that with this grip) you only have to worry about locating it.

GL

I was a Little League All-Star, so I know what I'm talking about: Hold the baseball like you would hold a fastball. Put all your pressure on the middle finger, but just lay your index finger on the ball. Throw it just like you would a fastball.

Turn Off Ads?