Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Kerry Ligtenberg

Reds sign Kerry Ligtenberg

I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Kerry Ligtenberg

Youth movement?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

This guys been awful the last 2 seasons
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    This guys been awful the last 2 seasons
    Yeah he has and I didn't realize he was already 35. Has he had injury trouble since he was with the Braves, or did teams just figure him out?

Injury trouble IIRC
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Depth and minor league signing. Two things to mention after Burton and Ligtenberg sign.

1) Krivsky is planning on dealing relievers during Spring Training, probably for either a starter or bench help.

2) Krivsky's MO may seem to borrow a bit from Bowden. (That is, he's willing to give older, established pitchers a minor league contract, with the hopes of improving the team.) However, Krivsky's main difference with bargain bin style GMing is that he only tries minor league deals as a back-up to other deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Depth and minor league signing. Two things to mention after Burton and Ligtenberg sign.

1) Krivsky is planning on dealing relievers during Spring Training, probably for either a starter or bench help.

2) Krivsky's MO may seem to borrow a bit from Bowden. (That is, he's willing to give older, established pitchers a minor league contract, with the hopes of improving the team.) However, Krivsky's main difference with bargain bin style GMing is that he only tries minor league deals as a back-up to other deals.
    I don't see Number 1. He won't trade Weathers or Stanton, just signed them. He won't trade Bray or Coffey, the young guns. He won't get anything for Majewski until after a long stretch of successful appearances.

Yes, he might trade Cormier or Belisle or EZ. I don't see a lot coming back.

Ligtenberg was at Iowa in AAA last year. He will be in Louisville in AAA this year, until an injury or two requires his (or someone else's) recall.

Again, I think Mark Portugal might still be available...
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Ligtenberg gets minor league deal from Reds
    CINCINNATI (AP) — Right-handed reliever Kerry Ligtenberg agreed to a minor league deal Wednesday with the Cincinnati Reds, who will give him a chance to win a spot in their bullpen.
    The 35-year-old reliever hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2005, when he appeared in seven games for Arizona. He had 18 saves and a 3.57 ERA in 53 appearances for the Cubs’ Triple-A team in Iowa last year.
    Ligtenberg has played eight seasons in the majors. His best was 1998, when he became Atlanta’s closer and went 30-of-34 in save opportunities. He missed all the 1999 season after surgery for a torn ligament in his elbow.
    John Rocker took over as the Braves’ closer after Ligtenberg got hurt. Ligtenberg saved 12 games in 2000, but has only five saves in the majors since 2001.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I have no problem with MLC's for guys like this. Every team needs them to fill AAA, and for emergency help in case of injury.

The problem is the Reds have plenty of those guys on the 25 man roster with big league contracts.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

CINCINNATI REDS—Agreed to terms with RHP Jared Burton on a one-year contract and RHP Kerry Ligtenberg on a minor league contract

I don't get what the big deal is...it's a Minor league deal and he has the chance to go tot he Big Club if he performs well enough...I also agree with Special K stocking the BP that we can expect to see him deal from the strength to address other areas...I wouldn't be surprised if he would trade his own mom if her could work out what he believes is a fair deal for something even a little better.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Just another arm in Spring Training to take a look at.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Marcos Carvajal got released by the D'Rays. There is a young arm that might be worth a look.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Injury trouble IIRC
    Specifically, what.....anybody know?

How do you go from good to awful in one year?
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Turn Off Ads?