Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: College BB - Tourney Talk

Re: College BB - Tourney Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    The charges were too many calls over a 4 year period to 17 recruits. 550 calls over 48 months is 11 calls each month - less than 1 illegal call per month per kid. As in "I called - the kid wasn't home - I called back". The NCAA - in its infinite stupidity and hypocrisy - calls that an "illegal" call.
    I am a Hoosier fan, and I think Sampson is a great coach. That said, a rule is a rule, even if it's a stupid one.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Kansas' freshmen and sophomores gave the experienced Gators more than they could handle back in November. On a "neutral" court.

When Kansas beat Florida, in OT, Corey Brewer had mono and Joakim Noah had an upper respiratory infection. Corey Brewer was throwing up in a trash can in the locker room ten minutes before tip.

I hate to make excuses after a loss, and I know anything can happen in a single elimination tournament, but anyone who thinks Florida's not clearly the team to beat is clearly out of their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    ...so I won't agree to disagree you're just wrong.
    Now I'm intrigued. Are you my mom, one of my sisters, my wife, my daughter, or my boss?

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    When Kansas beat Florida, in OT, Corey Brewer had mono and Joakim Noah had an upper respiratory infection. Corey Brewer was throwing up in a trash can in the locker room ten minutes before tip.

I hate to make excuses after a loss, and I know anything can happen in a single elimination tournament, but anyone who thinks Florida's not clearly the team to beat is clearly out of their minds.
    Oh, they're the team to beat, to be sure.

But Kansas proved they can beat them. And that was without any kind of meaningful contributions from Sherrod Collins or Sasha Kahn.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Now I'm intrigued. Are you my mom, one of my sisters, my wife, my daughter, or my boss?
    Yes that's what I said. You implied that I was in a mindless zombie for believing that Krzyzewski has class. I have first hand knowledge that he is a man of class and character, how does that make me a "mindless zombie". So when you said we agree to disagree, I'd have to agree that you think I am just mindlessly believing that he is classy or has character because Dick Vitale or ESPN told me to. I'm sorry that's not the case for me, maybe for some, but not me, I don't know what else to say.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 02-16-2007 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Does anybody else like Memphis to make some noise in the tourney?
    The first weekend. I question their ability to adapt and succeed playing different styles, and once you get to the Sweet 16 the longer arms and higher verticals don't mean a thing. Depending on the draw they may sneak back into the Elite 8, which is no small feat, but I don't see them having enough horses to make it to Atlanta.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    As far as the free throws go well they win a lot, and when they're up late in games teams usually foul intentionally. Ok so I looked up a few stats of my own UNC this year has taken 43% more free throws than their opponents and 25% of their shots are 3's, Florida takes 34% more free throws than their opponents and 32% of their shots are 3's. It seems like teams with winning records take more free throws than their opponents. These are the only two teams I checked though.
    These stats are from http://northcarolina.rivals.com/bstats.asp?team=UNC
    Not to mention that these teams generally have superior athletes. Their competition is slower, etc. so it stands to reason they will commit more fouls than the superior team.

I have a few buddies that will be all PO'd about a game if the foul calls are lopsided. Well, if you have one team that has speed and drives the bucket and they are playing a slower team, I'd expect their to be a pretty good gap in the amount of fouls called on the teams.

GL

P.S. I wish the ground would open up and swallow DUKE and UNC.

I think people have to watch out - there's not much of "George Mason"-type team out there. What could happen are known schools that don't have much basketball history could be playing for the big one.

I mean, it's not far-fetched to have a Florida-Ohio State-Texas A&M-Washington State final 4.

Or, a Wisconsin, Southern Illinois, Virignia Tech, Memphis final 4.

This year, like last year, is highly unpredictable.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post

Don't get me wrong--I like Florida. But the only one who was throwing up the night they lost to Florida State was Billy Donovan.

Who's throwing up for Florida today?

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Who's throwing up for Florida today?
    I didn't get to see that game, did Florida give it away or did Vandy have the game of their lives? I notice that they shot 56% from the field and 10-22 from 3, so I'm leaning toward believing that Vandy played great.

As a Florida fan I'm glad for the loss, a win streak would be more added pressure on a team trying to repeat.

Last year Florida 7-6 over the last 13 before winning the rest, losses in the right place can be good.
    Go Gators!

Funny how a few days ago people were saying that Indiana could compete with the big two and Florida was unbeatable. The road is a great equalizer. Looks like Wisconsin at OSU could be #1 vs #2, although the Badgers have a tough one in East Lansing before then.

And, of course in the long run, Florida is still the team to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Teams I root for in NCAA basketball:

UNC
    Kent
    Michigan
    Locals: UD / Wright St.

Doesn't look too good for me this year other than UNC.

I think Kent still has a shot at 20 wins in what is supposed to be a rebuilding year. And of course there's the chance to win in the MAC tournament. However, if any MAC team is built to get beyond the first round, it's probably Akron. I just hope one of the subpar teams from the MAC West doesn't win the tournament.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I may talk tough for Florida, and they are still the best team, but they've looked fat and happy over the last couple weeks. Giving up big leads or having to mount comebacks over and over again is dangerous.

A loss now isn't the worst thing to happen.

March will be fun.

By the way: Did anyone else see (Vandy Coach) Kevin Stallings slap Noah's hands when he tried to grab the ball from him? Weird.

Turn Off Ads?