Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guy Flicks

University of Cincinnati

Guy Flicks

Lance had this posted earlier -

4. Guy Flicks: Our answer to Chick Flicks. Clear the room of women...this one is for the guys....blood, guts, gore, sex, sports, car chases

Any good guy flicks you can think of?
    THE University of Cincinnati

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Guy Flicks

Those "Transporter" movies qualify.

How about my current favorite cheese-fest: the incomparable "Road House"?

Or another Swayze tour-de-force: "Red Dawn".
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Caddyshack is one of the best.

Uncommon Valor. In fact, any movie having to do with war, blown up body bits, and Tex Cobb. (For extra credit, this movie also had Patrick Swayze in it.)

All John Wayne movies also apply.

Zoinks!

Animal House, all Dirty Harry Movies, all of Clint's spaghetti westerns and Three Stooges Shorts.

I can't wait to read Puffy's entries on this thread....
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Monty Python seems to be guy humor. I know my wife hates it.

More choices...Predator, Terminator, John Wayne movies, and Halloween 1 and 2.

University of Cincinnati

Boondock Saints - Die Hard - Many war movies such as Full Metal Jacket

The Die Hard trilogy (and soon to be 4th movie)

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    The Die Hard trilogy (and soon to be 4th movie)
    My wife absolutely LOVES the Die Hard trilogy (for some reason). She asked for it on DVD for Christmas a few years ago.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The Great Escape- Greatest guy movie of all time.

In fact, no female has a speaking part in the film.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

University of Cincinnati

Top 50 List from Mens Journal
    Dirty Harry
    The Godfather
    Scarface
    Die Hard
    The Road Warrior
    The Dirty Dozen
    The Matrix
    Caddyshack
    Rocky
    Full Metal Jacket
    Dr. No
    The Killer
    Raging Bull
    Bullitt
    Enter The Dragon
    Apocalypse Now
    Goodfellas
    Reservoir Dogs
    Fight Club
    The Usual Suspects
    Blazing Saddles
    The Wild Bunch
    The Maltese Falcon
    Unforgiven
    The Seven Samurai
    Diner
    The Big Lebowski
    Shaft
    48 Hours
    The Searchers
    Platoon
    Animal House
    The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
    The Longest Yard
    Blade
    Stripes
    North Dallas Forty
    The Untouchables
    The Great Escape
    The Three Stooges
    The Hustler
    Slap Shot
    The French Connection
    Office Space
    Easy Rider
    Dazed and Confused
    The Bridge On The River Kwai
    Cool Hand Luke
    Fletch
    Kill Bill

How could I forget Blazing Saddles? Classic movie.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Any war movie excluding "The Thin Red Line".

GL

University of Cincinnati

Heres another list:

11.) Glory (1989) - Dir. by Edward Zwick
    Do you love war movies? Do you want to understand the mechanics of the army politics and the pitched battles during the Civil War? Glory is a great film for understanding the plight of a contingent of black soldiers put under the command of a somewhat reluctant white officer-staff. The movie proceeds and you see the relationships between Matthew Broderick and his men solidify in the face of adversary from both Union racism and the Southern armies. Denzel Washington gives his best performance I've seen in this film as the stubborn and too-proud Private Trip, especially in a heart-breaking scene which has to be seen to be believed. The movie is paced well, the acting is totally believable, and the story entraptures the viewer into caring for each charactor's story.

10.) Snatch (2000) - Dir. by Guy Ritchie
    With a strong cast, hillarious dialogue, and another great movie (Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels) already in hand, Guy Ritchie shows what he's got. This movie has the most comedic scenes you never expected you'd see. It's just ridiculously funny throughout. The plot is complicated, revolving around many different groups' plans to get their hands on an expensive diamond. Watch for the twists.

9.) Boyz N the Hood (1991) - Dir. by John Singleton
    What an emotional story about life in Compton, California during the early 90's. This movie centers on a young man's life in the hood and his dreams of something greater. As with him, most of the charactors are sick of the gangster lifestyle. When events take a turn for the worst, however, you'll see the horrors faced by these people all too often. Oh, also, this movie has one of my favorite endings of all time.

8.) Clerks TV Series (2000) - Dir. by Chris Baily and Steve Loter
    Do you like "The Simpsons" or "Family Guy"? Then you'll love this short-lived six-piece comedy series on DVD. It's not exactly a movie, but it is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

7.) The Ring (2002) - Dir. by Gore Virbinksi
    It just came out at the time of this review, but I know it's one of the best horror movies I know of. I was deeply effected by this film for days after watching it. There are no blatantly cliche deaths or violence. In fact, this film is more like a grand setup for the ending. There are few deaths, but that actually makes this movie more horrifying.

6.) Lord of the Rings : Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - Dir. by Peter Jackson
    The first of an epic three-part series, Fellowship is an epic onto itself. Spanning about three hours, Peter Jackson skillfully developes all characters and situations. You aren't left wondering what just happened or what the characters are doing. Wonderful special effects, just enough dialogue, great scenery, and everything else that's right are prevelant. It's a magnificant triumph to properly translate a film so perfectly from a book and that makes this all the more wonderful.

5.) Saving Private Ryan (1998) - Dir. by Steven Spielberg
    THE war movie. Note the word THE. "Saving Private Ryan" completely redefined all ensuing war movies. And so far, nothing's compared. In a class by itself, "Saving Private Ryan" showed us that war movies can appeal to every human instinct as we sympathise with charactors. Steven Spielberg is regarded as one of the greats, and rightfully so. This film really changes lives, as viewers left theatres hugging each other and teens left the movie saying things like, "I never knew war was so horrible." I hope this movie makes all our heroes of the wars proud, or at least satisfied.

4.) Last of the Mohicans (1992) - Dir. by Michael Mann
    An absolutely epic film which captures the pain, horror, and feel of the French and Indian War and slams it in your face. The battles are comparative and in cases beyond those seen in Gladiator, Braveheart, and Glory. What really makes this movie special is the director's exquisite portrayal of the classic novel. With a musical score that takes this movie from great to masterpiece, see this if you haven't already.

3.) Fight Club (1999) - Dir. by David Fincher
    Explained many times, I'm sure you might know why this movie has such appeal. The dark side of the human syndrom is in a spotlight as we watch the decay of an average man, his friend, and the outcasts of society...with greusome rituals they perform. It's so much more complicated then the name, and I really would recommend this film to anybody. There is violence and some grotesque shots but there is such a great script philosisizing about what we all really are and who really is in control out there. Dark, funny, and it all rings so true.

2.) Seven (1995) - Dir. by David Fincher
    As with Fight Club, the story is completely entrapturing and disturbing. See and feel this film, and try to understand the villain's point of view. Brad Pitt and Kevin Spacey square off in a classic which details seven greusome murders, each with significance (made clear during the film). The camera effects and great lighting give a gloomy mood throughout. Fincher directs this action/mystery/horror film to his high standards. I found myself applauding at the end.

1.) Star Wars Epic (5 movies so far, 6 total when finished 1977-present) - Dir. by George Lucas
    It's really easy to explain this series' appeal. Mystery, comedy, action, gloom, tragedy, and heroics are all packed into an entirely fictional and well-detailed galaxy. An epic series details the life storys of the Skywalkers from Anakin's childhood, to his descent into the darkness, and then it tells his children's stories. A span of 60 years will show you the Old Republic, it's demise, the rise of the evil Empire, the birth of the Rebellion against the Empire, and then the eventual triumph of the Rebellion against all odd. There are many charactors and sub-plots, and all of it ties togethor so believably that I'm willing to call creator George Lucas a genious. Bravo! Here's to

Overrated List (again, doesn't include older movies):

5.)Titanic - An expensive, long, and generally strong movie. It lacked the emotional appeal for me that it seemed to eminate to many. Great special effects though.

4.)Usual Suspects - Nothing all that complicated, Spacey is great as usual but the movie didn't do anything special for me. Also, what's with the nasty color scheme to everybody's clothes and the movie's interiors?

3.)Pulp Fiction - Uh..what did I miss? This movie is pretty much a simple story with random acts of indulgence, sodomization, and violence. An ok flick that consumed so much attention that it earned a standing much to high.

2.)Blair Witch Project - Wasn't scary, wasn't all that witty, actors weren't all that great. This is a descent movie, nothing more.
    ...and the most overrated movie I know of...

1.)SPIDER MAN - So many people love this movie that it broke most box office records. Shattered more like. How in the hell did a movie that was a solid 7/10 take over the world? How was it considered better than Star Wars: Episode 2, a movie which came out around the same time? I don't understand. I saw it once and I don't really even want to see it again.

Turn Off Ads?