Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wide Open (NL Central Side by Side by Side)

Re: Wide Open (NL Central Side by Side by Side)

Quote Originally Posted by redlegz View Post
    With the 1, 2 punch of Harang and Arroyo I would give the Reds a shot in any postseason matchup. It's getting there that is the real problem.
    Agree.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Your kidding right?

Kip Wells, Anthony Reyes (era north of 5 last year), Adam Wainwright (hasn't started in the majors, but I think he's the best of the 3), and Braden Looper strikes fear in my heart.
    The Cards may have the worst starting rotation in the division.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The Cards have the best rotation in the division.
    Maybe the worst on paper. Only one of their starters had any success last year.

But their relievers are better than what's presented. Thompson and Johnson are better than Hancock and Rincon.

Get me to the playoffs and then I'll worry about the postseason. Oh how I would love to have worries like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    The Cards may have the worst starting rotation in the division.
    Actually no, they may have one of the best rotations in the divsion on paper. Here's their projected starter's Pecota ERAs. Their number 5 in this scenario is Mulder and he is the only guy projected to have an ERA that is below league average and its only just below.

Carpenter 3.39
    A. Reyes 3.91
    Wainright 4.01
    Wells 4.62
    Mulder 4.82

St Louis, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Houstan all, if healthy, have better rotations than the Reds. The key is health and when Clemens decides to pitch. The Reds need to hope for alot of sore arms and tight shoulders.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by redlegz View Post
    With the 1, 2 punch of Harang and Arroyo I would give the Reds a shot in any postseason matchup. It's getting there that is the real problem.
    That's exactly right. The 2001 Diamondbacks with Schilling and Johnson are a perfect example. Unfortunately for the Reds I doubt they'll make it. But if they do you never know what can happen.

WhoDeyInIndy

Hi everyone, I am new to the post and have been looking for a place to follow the Reds for awhile.

Now on this topic: How can you begin by turning 3-inning Milton loose in GABP as your number FOUR and feel like we stack up.

I hope we develop the heart the team had in 1999. I know they missed the playoffs, but if we were down by less than 10 runs in the ninth I felt like we had a shot.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    That's exactly right. The 2001 Diamondbacks with Schilling and Johnson are a perfect example. Unfortunately for the Reds I doubt they'll make it. But if they do you never know what can happen.
    That's where a possible Bailey addition and a surprise season from someone like Sarloos could really help.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Actually no, they may have one of the best rotations in the divsion on paper. Here's their projected starter's Pecota ERAs.
    Carpenter 3.39
    A. Reyes 3.91
    Wainright 4.01
    Wells 4.62
    Mulder 4.82
    I'll believe that Reyes can post a sub 4 ERA over a full season when he actually does it. Wainwright hasn't started a major league game in his life, and wasn't a stud minor league starter.

I'd be surprised if any of their 2-5 starters listed above can hit 160 innings for the season.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'll believe that Reyes can post a sub 4 ERA over a full season when he actually does it. Wainwright hasn't started a major league game in his life, and wasn't a stud minor league starter.

I'd be surprised if any of their 2-5 starters listed above can hit 160 innings for the season.
    plus i was listening to st louis station the other night and they are not looking for mulder back for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Your kidding right?

Kip Wells, Anthony Reyes (era north of 5 last year), Adam Wainwright (hasn't started in the majors, but I think he's the best of the 3), and Braden Looper strikes fear in my heart.
    I felt like the Cards did it with mirrors last year and this year they even look more vulernable. I would think the Cubs potentially have the best with the Brewers not far behind, the Reds rotation won't be too shabby either, if you add Bailey they could be very competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff View Post
    Healthy Prior = 95 wins

...for the Cubs that is
    Dusty's not around anymore, remember. There's no way Sweet Lou lets Prior start 95 games. :
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Dusty's not around anymore, remember. There's no way Sweet Lou lets Prior start 95 games. :
    I dunno....Lou's not exactly a genius with pitching staffs either...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If the Reds can get solid production from the bullpen and solid productions from Loshe, Milton and another pitcher (maybe Homer Bailey), they can do some serious damage.

I wonder out loud what Lohse has done to earn a free pass?

Is it possible that Saarlos and Belisle could be the best pitchers for the 4th and 5th spots?

Turn Off Ads?