Thread: GM to buy Chrysler?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: GM to buy Chrysler?

They should make this 55 Falcon

Designed to be the basis for a competitor to the Ford Thunderbird and Chevrolet Corvette, the Chrysler Falcon had a carbureted, cast iron, 276 ci overhead-valve V8 engine, rated at 170 hp, with 255 lbft of torque, mated to a two-speed automatic transmission. With a weight of 3,300 lb, it gave the car impressive performance for the time. Only a single vehicle was produced, which was shown at several autoshows. Eventually it was sold to a private owner.[

The potential deal between the two automakers could go beyond cooperation on joint development of a large sport utility vehicle, the magazine said.
    Man, Ford must really be a mess if the talks they had with GM sent them to Chrysler. But if a merger is going to produce even more stupid, supersized SUVs, it won't help.

Adding Chrysler does what, other than adding a solid minivan performer (which GM can't seem to get their minds around)? The only way this works is if GM takes on Chrysler and drops all the duplication it has between the brands.
    So, let's blue sky this a little- here is your new automaker, General Chrysler, using the following models:

Chrysler minivans, Siebring, and that hip little sportscar...what's it called?
    Dodge small pickups
    Jeep Cherokee, Liberty and the old CJ...what is that now, Wrangler?
    Buick Lucern and Lacrosse (Lacrosse only until all the people born prior to 1940 who buy a new Century every three years die off)
    Pontiac Vibe, Torrent, G6 (provided they turn it into a viable competitor with the Civic)
    Chevy trucks, Equinox, Corvette, Impala (only high output for police fleets)
    Cadillac- probably all of them.
    GMC- kill it off, replace with Dodge/Cummins
    Hummer- keep them all.

What am I missing?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

University of Cincinnati

Might not be a bad idea. These two companies need to merge and figure out something quick. If they ever want to outsell the Imports they need to start putting their heads together, especially with the hybrid cars. Companies like Toyota keep making better cars that are more efficient while it seems the American companies keep falling behind.
    THE University of Cincinnati

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I thought Daimler merged with Chrysler a couple years back.

Does this mean GM is trying to gain the Chrysler brand, or are they trying to gain the Mercedes (Daimler) brand?

Would Justice OK this deal?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Dr. Z got tired of his own commercials.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I think this deal is probably about buying Chrysler from Daimler. Owning Chrysler has been a loser for the germans.

If they could couple an Allison transmission with a Cummins diesel engine, that would make a serious power train for a truck.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    If they could couple an Allison transmission with a Cummins diesel engine, that would make a serious power train for a truck.
    Yep, that's the kind of stuff that has to be in their thinking, if this is more than a rumor. That would be a nice combo.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Would Justice OK this deal?
    More than anything else in a deal like this, the government doesn't want an automaker's pension fund to dry up. That would put a lot of retirees below the poverty line and retirees tend to be vocal and voters. Unless the deal doesn't adequately protect the Chrysler pension fund, the current Justice Department will let it go through.

When it goes through, I imagine there will be some token concessions extracted from GM, like AT&T had to make when they scarfed up BellSouth, but they'll be a minor hindrance.
    /r/reds

Great, now the terrible and defective brake system that GM put on their vehicles can be combined with Chrysler's terrible transmissions and suspensions. Really looking forward to this one.

I'm already giving serious consideration to trading my Dakota in on that new Toyota Tundra. Only thing stopping me right now is that my Dakota is paid off.

Why people keep buying crappy Ford/GM/Chrysler cars is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    Great, now the terrible and defective brake system that GM put on their vehicles can be combined with Chrysler's terrible transmissions and suspensions. Really looking forward to this one.
    Had a 2003 Concorde Limited. Tranny exploded at 77,000miles. I followed the maintenance schedule to a T, and mostly drive highway miles. I'll have to think long and hard before buying another Chrysler product again.

Had a mid-to-late Pontiac Grand Am. Absoulte worst car I ever owned. I've posted about it before, but it totally sucked. Was in the shop all the time and the brakes needed repalced every 30,000miles or so despite all my miles being highway.

But the two together.......yikes........you might end up with a super valcano of suckatude right there.

Here's what they need to be making:

Turn Off Ads?