Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Illinois will retire its Indian mascot

Illinois will retire its Indian mascot

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Sa...=1037645509200

URBANA, Ill. - The University of Illinois will retire its 81-year-old American Indian mascot, Chief Illiniwek, on Wednesday after the last men's home basketball game of the season.

In 2005, the NCAA determined that the buckskin-clad Illiniwek was an offensive use of American Indian imagery and barred the university from being the host for postseason events. American Indian groups and others complained for years that the mascot, used since 1926, is demeaning. Supporters of the mascot say it honors the contributions of American Indians to Illinois.

Illinois still will be able to use the name Illini because it's short for Illinois, and the school can use the term Fighting Illini, because it's considered a reference to the team's competitive spirit, school officials said. It is unclear if the school will get a new mascot.

School officials said they received a letter from the NCAA on Thursday that said the school would no longer be banned from holding postseason events if it drops the mascot and related American Indian imagery.

Also yesterday, a Champaign County Circuit Court judge rejected two students' request for a court order banning the university from "capitulating to the NCAA by announcing the retirement of Chief Illiniwek."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Illinois will retire its Indian mascot

I would hope they are going to retire him if he's 81.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

i wish this story would just go away

Isnt' it the height of arrogance to be offended for someone else?

I'm with Red In Chicago...this whole PC thing should just stop.

Totally agree. Next thing you know, a group of American Indians will be offended because the University of Illinois no longer uses the American Indian mascot. You are going to offend someone, no matter what you do.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Okay generally I'm as anti-PC as can be. I have no issues with naming teams after Indians or Indian tribes.
    But dressing up some white kid in an Indian costume that was clearly designed in the 50's. Then having him do some "war-dance" is about as insulting as can be.
    Much like the "ghetto" parties thrown on campus' a few weeks ago, it's hard to believe these things still go on in 2007.

As a comparison, Florida State offers a scholarship to an actual Seminole indian who agrees to be their "mascot."
    Illinois dresses up a white guy in a costume.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

People have always been stupid, Hoosier.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?