Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Duke Players allowed back to class

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Duke Players allowed back to class

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Duke University has invited two of the lacrosse players accused of sexual assault to return to school as students in good standing, a defense attorney said Wednesday.

Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann had been barred from attending class during the fall semester while their case made its way through court. The third player charged in the case, Dave Evans, graduated in May, the day before he was charged with raping a stripper at a team party in March.

Rape charges against all three players were dropped last month, after the accuser said she could no longer remember some details about the case. The men are still charged with sexual assault and kidnapping.

"As circumstances have evolved in this extraordinary case, we have attempted to balance recognition of the gravity of legal charges with the presumption of your innocence," Larry Moneta, Duke's vice president for student affairs said in a letter to Seligmann dated Jan. 2.

"Now with the approach of a new term, we believe that circumstances warrant that we strike this balance differently. At this point, continued extension of the administrative leave would do unwarranted harm to your educational progress."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
    What about the jerks who protested on those players' lawn and claimed their guilt before one shred of evidence was gathered? Should they be allowed to go to class? I'd be confronting every single one of them I could recognize.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Duke Players allowed back to class

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    What about the jerks who protested on those players' lawn and claimed their guilt before one shred of evidence was gathered? Should they be allowed to go to class? I'd be confronting every single one of them I could recognize.
    That would just make it worse. These guys got hosed, no doubt about it, but it happens to some people. And most likely this is something they'll be recognized for for the rest of their lives, or atleast for a long time. But being bitter and angry about it could really ruin their lives.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Mike Nifong, a renegade DA, is an idiot and should be disciplined by the state bar association for his conduct during this whole situation.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I would transfer to UNC.

Oh boy, politics. What i don't understand is why the Duke case is such a cause celeb with the Right Wing in this country. I mean I'm as much for due process as the next guy, but its not like the first time a prosecutor has had to withdraw a case against somebody. And there have been plenty of innocent people who have been wrongly accused in this country without a fraction of the indignation that most of the reactionary bloggers have expressed about the Duke affair. I just don't have a lot of sympathy for a bunch of spoiled rich frat boys who seem to have a history of not being able to hold their liquor.

Anyhow, give Henry Waxman a few months. I suspect the Durham DA won't be the only elected official around facing disciplinary charges.

I feel like the only person who got hosed in this deal was the former coach of the Lacrosse team who had to resign as a result of this mess.

Last edited by MWM; 01-04-2007 at 02:02 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Let me get this straight. If your rich it's ok to accuse you of rape. I mean come on....your rich. It's ok to kick you out of school before you are convicted of anything, because you know...your rich. We are not going to feel sorry for you, about anything that happens to you because as you know...your rich. If you do some stupid things in college and have student loans your just being a kid. If your rich, your a spoiled brat...I get it now

Let him who has not done something stupid in college or has not participated in underage drinking please stand up.

How would you like to be charged with rape at age 20, just because you had a couple of beers at a "stag party?" One of the boys charged, was not even at the party at the time of the strippers coming to the house. He took a taxi to a McDonalds, has a Credit Card receipt, and records of him using his student ID card to enter his dorm room. Is he a spoiled rich brat as well?
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Last edited by MWM; 01-04-2007 at 02:02 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Guess I'll erase mine too then.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

[QUOTE=George Foster;1221679]Let me get this straight. If your rich it's ok to accuse you of rape.

How would you like to be charged with rape at age 20, just because you had a couple of beers at a "stag party?" QUOTE]

Dam the logic, full spleen ahead. Whatever happened at this stag party, very few people dispute that it involved more than a few fun loving college kids having a couple of beers. In fact members of the Duke La Crosse Team had been out of control for quite some time- they had been involved in 36 on campus incidents since 2003 (SI, 6/06). Fifteen players have been cited by Durham police for offenses over the last three years. One of them had been charged with assulting a man for being a homosexual. One of the players apparently sent an e-mail after the party saying he wanted to invite more strippers to his dorm room, kill them and skin them.

Many Duke authorities felt that this situation boiled over because the teams coach too often looked the other way. "Do you think [Duke basketball coach] Mike Krzyzewski would've put up with this s--- for five seconds?" says one university official. "The answer is no." (SI,June 2006).

Does such dangerous out of control conduct justify false accusations by government authorities? Of course not.

If these kids suffered damages, should they be allowed to pursue their remedies? Of course they should and most of them have the means to do so. My bet is they won't because its in their interest to let sleeping dogs lie.

So while I'd like to feel sympathy for these poor damaged kids ( I mean you spend $1,600 for a couple of strippers to show up at your party and this is what you get for your investment), I have a feeling they will make out just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Mike Nifong, a renegade DA, is an idiot and should be disciplined by the state bar association for his conduct during this whole situation.
    He is under investigation. That investigation should be allowed to take its course, but it certainly appears that Nifong was playing politics when he charged the players; if he knowingly withheld evidence, as has been alleged, he should be disbarred IMO.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    In fact members of the Duke La Crosse Team had been out of control for quite some time- they had been involved in 36 on campus incidents since 2003 (SI, 6/06). fine.
    So therefore it's ok to rush to judgement on rape charges?

These guys may be grade A, olympic class jerkwads. Doesn't change the fact they are entitled to the same due process as Mr. Rogers.

I guess I missed the memo that says, "if you have some money in your bank account you are guilty before proven innocent and you are a by definition a scumbag".

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Let me get this straight. If your rich it's ok to accuse you of rape. I mean come on....your rich. It's ok to kick you out of school before you are convicted of anything, because you know...your rich. We are not going to feel sorry for you, about anything that happens to you because as you know...your rich. If you do some stupid things in college and have student loans your just being a kid. If your rich, your a spoiled brat...I get it now

Let him who has not done something stupid in college or has not participated in underage drinking please stand up.

How would you like to be charged with rape at age 20, just because you had a couple of beers at a "stag party?" One of the boys charged, was not even at the party at the time of the strippers coming to the house. He took a taxi to a McDonalds, has a Credit Card receipt, and records of him using his student ID card to enter his dorm room. Is he a spoiled rich brat as well?
    Great points. Really brings this summation of this case to light. Nifong used this case to get re-elected and now he's going to get exposed for it.

I should have further explained my comments about confronting them. I would confront them to ask for an apology. I wouldn't bein their grill screaming or anything, just the satisfaction of an apology.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    I would transfer to UNC.
    If you've ever read any stories by Tucker Max, you know why UNC is a better school than Duke.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?