Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball Video Game Question.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Baseball Video Game Question.

I've noticed that in the games, some players are replaced with fake names. For instance, Barry Bonds is remade into a guy named Reggie Stocker in a lot of games. Is Barry not a part of the MLBPA? I know other guys that aren't in the players union aren't in the games, but I wasn't sure if the same applied to Barry or if he was out of them for another reason.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Baseball Video Game Question.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I've noticed that in the games, some players are replaced with fake names. For instance, Barry Bonds is remade into a guy named Reggie Stocker in a lot of games. Is Barry not a part of the MLBPA? I know other guys that aren't in the players union aren't in the games, but I wasn't sure if the same applied to Barry or if he was out of them for another reason.
    I can't answer your particular question but Jordan was always out of NBA games as well. Not to mention Bill Parcells is not in any Maddens

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Barry didnt sign up for the MLBPA, He liscenses his own name and likeness out.

As is in other baseball video games, Barry Bonds's likeness is replaced by a bearded caucasian man named Jon Dowd. This avatar has the same attributes as Barry Bonds, but since Bonds withdrew from the player's union licensing agreement, Electronic Arts was forced to put a generic player in his place. Other real-life players also have alternate names and likenesses including Kevin Millar (Anthony Friese), Cory Lidle (Alan Hughes), and Brendan Donnelly (Scott Barcik). This is due to the fact that these real-life players crossed the MLBPA union pickett line during the 1994 baseball strike that resulted in the first-ever cancellation of the World Series. Many of the game's "fictional" names are actually those of the game's real-life software developers from EA Sports.
    Last edited by Dracodave; 02-17-2007 at 05:54 PM.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Ah thank you.

Glad I could help :-)
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?