Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

The golden tones of the hall of famer regarding Adam Dunn:

"I'm tired of hearing people say he'll give you forty homers and drive in a hundred runs every year. First of all, he didn't drive in 100 runs last year. The most overrated stat in baseball is the damn home run. Give me a guy that'll run to his position and run off the field. More often than not, he walks to his position and walks off the field. Give me a guy that shows some life out there. His approach to hitting is the same if the count is 0-0 or 3-2. We all know his knowledge of the strike zone because he walks over a hundred times a year."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

I assume you heard that on the radio about 15 minutes ago right? I am about 95% sure th angry guys were just replaying an old sound clip.

You are correct in your assumption. I'm pretty sure they said it was from Friday night sports talk, though.

Once they started talking about batting Dunn 6th and or 9th, I turned it off the second I got out of the shower. Look, I dont like Dunn a whole lot as a player. He frustrates me more than any player I have ever seen. His batting average drives me insane. That said, his on base percentage is way to good to be hitting him 6th or 9th. In all honestly, bat him 3rd, let Edwin hit behind him, then have Griffey behind Edwin. I think that everyone benefits from that line up.

The other night in the chat during the HSL show the subject of Marty got brought up and I said that I didnt care for him anymore. I said that I thouught he just comes off as a grumpy bitter old man. This is exactly what I was talking about. How someone has watched baseball for as long as Marty has and has such little understanding for the value of a guy like Adam Dunn is unbelievable. And I'm afraid this is just going to worse with Marty as time goes on, its becoming quite sad.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That said, his on base percentage is way to good to be hitting him 6th or 9th. In all honestly, bat him 3rd, let Edwin hit behind him, then have Griffey behind Edwin. I think that everyone benefits from that line up.
    First....I agree exactly with your 3-5 in the order.
    Then as for Marty.....What irks me about him is he does this all the time towards Dunn then after the first bigggg homer from Dunn...he will say emphatically "Well.......how about Adam Dunn " !!!!!

As the years go by I'm finding that Marty's more likely to talk intelligently about college basketball and tomato's then players who don't have batting average driven games.
    Last edited by westofyou; 02-18-2007 at 11:34 AM.

9. Likes:

redsfanmia (02-03-2013)

Marty do us all a favor and just retire.

Seriously, you would rather have players that sprint to their position in place of great players?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Seriously, you would rather have players that sprint to their position in place of great players?
    What you dont see his logic?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Marty do us all a favor and just retire.

OBM, we usually agree on some things..... but Adam Dunn is not a great player. He is a good one, but great? Hardly.

I agree that the fact that Marty would rather someone sprint to and from their position is a little silly and has no outcome on the game or the players performance though.

There are few people on the face of the earth who watch Adam Dunn as closely as I do. (sad, I know).

I have never seen him walk to or from his position. He doesn't sprint, I'll give you that, but he does jog.

I think Marty just has a Napoleon Complex when it comes to Dunn.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I think Adam Dunn frustrates Marty more than any other player he's ever seen during his 30+ years with the Reds. Lenny Harris used to, but Dunn is on another level.

As far as the batting order, I don't know where you put him. I always thought your best pure hitter goes in the 3 spot. I don't think Griffey or Dunn makes enough contact for that spot in the lineup. The way this club strikes out, though, I don't know who should be there.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    OBM, we usually agree on some things..... but Adam Dunn is not a great player. He is a good one, but great? Hardly.

I agree that the fact that Marty would rather someone sprint to and from their position is a little silly and has no outcome on the game or the players performance though.
    At one point last season, Dunn was one of about 25-30 current players with career OPS's over .900. He is no longer part of that group after having an awful September, but to answer your question...yes, I do consider Dunn a great hitter.

I believe I once saw Adam Dunn mosey out to his position.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Great hitter is a lot different than great player though....

Turn Off Ads?