Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 415

Thread: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

  1. #151
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Oh bunky poo poo..... Oakland and Minnesota don't seem to be struggling to get ahead...
    Those are the exceptions, not the rule.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #152
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

    I don't always agree with Marty, but I am going to miss him when he's gone. Calling for his retirement is a bit much IMO. I love that Marty lets it fly, even if I don't always concur with him. He is a dying breed in the business and is a Cincinnati Reds legend.

  4. #153
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    During the week now, Tom and Richard are split. Richard still does mornings on Homer, while Tom does 6-9 on WLW (except Tuesdays when he teaches a night class at NKU). Seg fills in on tuesdays (and I would assume he would fill in if Tom took vacation -- hasn't happened yet).
    Tixe ask about Sunday Mornining SportsSqualk.

  5. #154
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    NO. It bothered me when Brennamen did it with Willie Greene. It bothered me when he did it with Eric Davis (yes, I am plenty old enough to remember that). It bothers me when he does it with Eric Milton now. It bothers me. It always has. It detracts from the job he does behind the mic. It takes away from what got him into the HoF. It lessens him as a broadcaster. It turns him into a joke, a walking skit, a fool. THAT's what bothers me. I am bothered because he cheapens himself.
    I agree. What bothers me is that Marty isn't Marty anymore.

    He is still the best when he wants to be. Nobody was ever better calling game winning plays than Marty. He can still do that.

    It bothers me that Marty now sounds bored doing PBP untill it comes down to that game winning play.

    It has always bothered me that Marty has little faith and is so quick to give up on youg talented players.

    It bothers me when Beat Writers, Sportstalk Host, and Fans must agree with anything and everything Marty has to say in order to escape a verbal tongue lashing from "The Hall Of Famer".

    It bothers me when myself and others are labeled as "Marty Haters'.

    I (we) do not hate Marty! We sometimes hate the silly things he says.

  6. #155
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    NO. It bothered me when Brennamen did it with Willie Greene. It bothered me when he did it with Eric Davis (yes, I am plenty old enough to remember that). It bothers me when he does it with Eric Milton now. It bothers me. It always has. It detracts from the job he does behind the mic. It takes away from what got him into the HoF. It lessens him as a broadcaster. It turns him into a joke, a walking skit, a fool. THAT's what bothers me. I am bothered because he cheapens himself.
    I can understand where you are comming from on the player bashing stuff. But I guess I can just compartamentize the flaws I don't care for becuause of all the good things he does. Fantastic big moment calls. Painting a picuture of what goes on on the field. Distinctive voices. Years of being a "fixture". For me, listening to him moan about Bowden for a minute out of an entire broadcast doesn't erase all of the good stuff he does.

    Every person has flaws in their professional life. Even you Membengal. Do you call yourself a joke, walking skit or a fool because of the limited number of flaws in your work performance versus all of the things I'm sure you do very well?

    I guess Marty's good far outweighs the minor flaws (or minor to me, I know they really bug other folks) in my book.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  7. #156
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    8,947

    Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

    Am I a public person and the face of a franchise? (I am not). IF I were, I promise you, I would make certain not to do what he does.

    Am I flawed? Well, duh. Of course. But I promise you, I make certain that my flaws DON'T include slagging on all the new hires at my firm, going around to other firms in town and talking about how crappy the new guys are, and slagging on our top biller because he doesn't get to depositions 5 minutes early. And if I did? The second my bosses found out? I would be an unemployed attorney. Very quickly.

    There is a part of what he does in terms of how he communicates criticism about players that I simply don't understand in light of who he is. You and I are at an agree to disagree point on that.

    And, again, you, like others, seems to read criticism like I have of Brennamen to mean I see nothing redeeming in him. I am pretty sure that all of my posts discuss how much esteem I hold him in. But he is completely wrong to do what he does to players like Dunn (and Milton, etc. etc. etc.). And it does take away from who he was and who he still can be when he wants to be.
    Last edited by membengal; 02-20-2007 at 07:31 AM.

  8. #157
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

    The point is, you should ignore some people's flaws, because they don't matter, but you should recognize and jump up and down on other's flaws because they do.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  9. #158
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,371

    Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

    Can we at least keep the Marty bashing comments in this thread? Every damn thread now has some lame joke about Adam Dunn and Marty.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  10. #159
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,209

    Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

    Poor Marty getting it from all sides now is he?

    Try the report post button or use the rep feature, that's what they're there for.

  11. #160
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,371

    Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Poor Marty getting it from all sides now is he?

    Try the report post button or use the rep feature, that's what they're there for.
    Nah, I'll just post it where I did.

    Thanks though.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  12. #161
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    The point is, you should ignore some people's flaws, because they don't matter, but you should recognize and jump up and down on other's flaws because they do.
    Is that Marty's credo?

    Hey, we agree on something!

    GL

  13. #162
    Member harangatang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,544

    Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Give me a guy that'll run to his position and run off the field.
    So is Todd Coffey the only "half" decent pitcher the Reds have on the ballclub? I mean Coffey only runs on the field but that's more than any of the rest of the pitchers.

  14. #163
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

    Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Is that Marty's credo?

    Hey, we agree on something!

    GL
    And apparently a lot of other folks.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  15. #164
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Am I a public person and the face of a franchise? (I am not). IF I were, I promise you, I would make certain not to do what he does.

    Am I flawed? Well, duh. Of course. But I promise you, I make certain that my flaws DON'T include slagging on all the new hires at my firm, going around to other firms in town and talking about how crappy the new guys are, and slagging on our top biller because he doesn't get to depositions 5 minutes early. And if I did? The second my bosses found out? I would be an unemployed attorney. Very quickly..
    I don't think you hate Marty but when you say he's a joke and a farce because of this flaw of his then it's sorta hard to hear your esteem. But, as you said, we are at an agree-to-disagree point I suppose.

    You raise an interesting point. Marty has been one of the faces (well, voices) of the franchise for many years. He's had these "fueds" with a number of players over the years (I think WOY pointed out several). Yet ownership/management hasn't seemed to care too much. Or at least, if they've dealt with something it's been behind closed doors. I wonder if they view his "tell it like it is (acording to Marty)" style as an asset because so many casual fans seem to value that approach? Even though it's counter-intuitive, perhaps they can live with a certian level of Marty-ness as they think the fans will revolt if they put a muzzle on him.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  16. #165
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,742

    Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I don't think you hate Marty but when you say he's a joke and a farce because of this flaw of his then it's sorta hard to hear your esteem. But, as you said, we are at an agree-to-disagree point I suppose.

    You raise an interesting point. Marty has been one of the faces (well, voices) of the franchise for many years. He's had these "fueds" with a number of players over the years (I think WOY pointed out several). Yet ownership/management hasn't seemed to care too much. Or at least, if they've dealt with something it's been behind closed doors. I wonder if they view his "tell it like it is (acording to Marty)" style as an asset because so many casual fans seem to value that approach? Even though it's counter-intuitive, perhaps they can live with a certian level of Marty-ness as they think the fans will revolt if they put a muzzle on him.

    I think that Marty's schtick probably didn't bother Marge or Carl because they were both somewhat older and less sophisticated about marketing than most owners. I'm sure they never even said anything to Marty about it.

    I'm not so sure about Castellini though. I don't think he's as likely to ignore this type of stuff as the previous two owners.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25