Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

The golden tones of the hall of famer regarding Adam Dunn:

"I'm tired of hearing people say he'll give you forty homers and drive in a hundred runs every year. First of all, he didn't drive in 100 runs last year. The most overrated stat in baseball is the damn home run. Give me a guy that'll run to his position and run off the field. More often than not, he walks to his position and walks off the field. Give me a guy that shows some life out there. His approach to hitting is the same if the count is 0-0 or 3-2. We all know his knowledge of the strike zone because he walks over a hundred times a year."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

I assume you heard that on the radio about 15 minutes ago right? I am about 95% sure th angry guys were just replaying an old sound clip.

You are correct in your assumption. I'm pretty sure they said it was from Friday night sports talk, though.

Once they started talking about batting Dunn 6th and or 9th, I turned it off the second I got out of the shower. Look, I dont like Dunn a whole lot as a player. He frustrates me more than any player I have ever seen. His batting average drives me insane. That said, his on base percentage is way to good to be hitting him 6th or 9th. In all honestly, bat him 3rd, let Edwin hit behind him, then have Griffey behind Edwin. I think that everyone benefits from that line up.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That said, his on base percentage is way to good to be hitting him 6th or 9th. In all honestly, bat him 3rd, let Edwin hit behind him, then have Griffey behind Edwin. I think that everyone benefits from that line up.
    First....I agree exactly with your 3-5 in the order.
    Then as for Marty.....What irks me about him is he does this all the time towards Dunn then after the first bigggg homer from Dunn...he will say emphatically "Well.......how about Adam Dunn " !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Once they started talking about batting Dunn 6th and or 9th, I turned it off the second I got out of the shower. Look, I dont like Dunn a whole lot as a player. He frustrates me more than any player I have ever seen. His batting average drives me insane. That said, his on base percentage is way to good to be hitting him 6th or 9th. In all honestly, bat him 3rd, let Edwin hit behind him, then have Griffey behind Edwin. I think that everyone benefits from that line up.
    Griff will bat 3rd or 4th as long as he can get himself to the on-deck circle.

What you don't want is to put EE batting 4th SIMPLY because you think you need to break up the lefty-lefty hitters.

Batting Order should be:

CF - Freel
    2B - Phillips
    LF - Dunner
    RF - Griff
    3B - EE
    C - Ross
    1B - Hattenberg/Conine/
    SS - Gonzo

Not too bad. Problem is with those last two spots. We lost ~40 HRs there between Kearns and Lopez - DON"T GET ME WRONG, I won't miss Lopie, his errors caused us to break even with his offense.

Phillips, EE, and Ross make up for it some, but we need a reliable 25/85-95 guy if we want to compete with the Big Boys in the Division, esp. considering our current pitching situation. In theory, that should be an OF-er and we put Dunn at 1B, where he belongs. If Joey Votto is the future, then put him in there next year.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

The other night in the chat during the HSL show the subject of Marty got brought up and I said that I didnt care for him anymore. I said that I thouught he just comes off as a grumpy bitter old man. This is exactly what I was talking about. How someone has watched baseball for as long as Marty has and has such little understanding for the value of a guy like Adam Dunn is unbelievable. And I'm afraid this is just going to worse with Marty as time goes on, its becoming quite sad.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    The other night in the chat during the HSL show the subject of Marty got brought up and I said that I didnt care for him anymore. I said that I thouught he just comes off as a grumpy bitter old man. This is exactly what I was talking about. How someone has watched baseball for as long as Marty has and has such little understanding for the value of a guy like Adam Dunn is unbelievable. And I'm afraid this is just going to worse with Marty as time goes on, its becoming quite sad.
    Bitter? About what? If you think how Adam Dunn performs actually effects Marty's life you have to be crazy. Marty is doing what he gets paid to do--give his opinion on baseball without mincing words. What is sad is that you guys don't realize how far and above he is the best radio guy in the game. He truly makes the game exciting; his calls are the best--and in this video driven world, for an audio broadcast to be able to be as exciting and interesting as video is a tall order. Try tuning into some other announcers and you'll see how they are either dead boring, or very annoying. I think you all should count every day as lucky that we have Marty. As far as his opinion on Dunn, I agree with him 100%, in that I do not enjoy watching Adam Dunn play the game of baseball. It's depressing to see squandered talent and it's (and this is the biggest thing) unentertaining. If you want to say he's "valuable", fine. But how valuable can a player be who plays on a team that hasn't broken .500 in five years and plays in a bandbox. A little perspective is needed here guys.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Bitter? About what? If you think how Adam Dunn performs actually effects Marty's life you have to be crazy. Marty is doing what he gets paid to do--give his opinion on baseball without mincing words. What is sad is that you guys don't realize how far and above he is the best radio guy in the game. He truly makes the game exciting; his calls are the best--and in this video driven world, for an audio broadcast to be able to be as exciting and interesting as video is a tall order. Try tuning into some other announcers and you'll see how they are either dead boring, or very annoying. I think you all should count every day as lucky that we have Marty. As far as his opinion on Dunn, I agree with him 100%, in that I do not enjoy watching Adam Dunn play the game of baseball. It's depressing to see squandered talent and it's (and this is the biggest thing) unentertaining. If you want to say he's "valuable", fine. But how valuable can a player be who plays on a team that hasn't broken .500 in five years and plays in a bandbox. A little perspective is needed here guys.
    Really, I think Marty, at this point in his career, and Adam Dunn are a lot alike. Dunn hits home runs. Marty makes calls on the radio that give you goose bumps. Dunn gets on base alot and scores a lot of runs. Marty has a sweet radio voice and can make the game a joy to listen to. Dunn strikes out a lot. Marty strikes out by making silly statements on the radio like saying something to the effect of "I'd rather have guys that hustle than guys that hit home runs." Dunn doesn't hustle. Marty doesn't do his research. Dunn makes defensive mistakes on routine plays. Marty misses a number of routine plays while talking about golf, tomato plants, and American Idol. Maybe Marty should work on improving his game before he starts getting on other people about theirs.

You say its depressing to watch Adam Dunn squander his talent. I say it's depressing to listen to Marty squander his.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

But how valuable can a player be who plays on a team that hasn't broken .500 in five years and plays in a bandbox. A little perspective is needed here guys.
    How in blazes did Ernie Banks ever make the Hall of Fame, playing all those years on a Cubs team that didn't break .500 and played in Wrigley Field?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Good post. I agree that Marty's the best in the game and I'm thankful he does Reds radio.

As the years go by I'm finding that Marty's more likely to talk intelligently about college basketball and tomato's then players who don't have batting average driven games.
    Last edited by westofyou; 02-18-2007 at 11:34 AM.

13. Likes:

redsfanmia (02-03-2013)

Marty do us all a favor and just retire.

Seriously, you would rather have players that sprint to their position in place of great players?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Seriously, you would rather have players that sprint to their position in place of great players?
    What you dont see his logic?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Marty do us all a favor and just retire.

OBM, we usually agree on some things..... but Adam Dunn is not a great player. He is a good one, but great? Hardly.

I agree that the fact that Marty would rather someone sprint to and from their position is a little silly and has no outcome on the game or the players performance though.

Turn Off Ads?