Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    "I'm tired of hearing people say he'll give you forty homers and drive in a hundred runs every year. First of all, he didn't drive in 100 runs last year. The most overrated stat in baseball is the damn home run.
    OK Marty, I'm with you so far in so much as counting stats are often very misleading....

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Give me a guy that'll run to his position and run off the field. More often than not, he walks to his position and walks off the field. Give me a guy that shows some life out there.
    Ok now you've lost me Marty. In fact, it's going to be hard for me to ever really take you seriously when you say things like this. Basically HRs and RBIs are too flawed for you in light of superior ones that more directly measure a player's contrinution to wins like HTAFP (hustle to and from position)...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Adam Dunn frustrates Marty more than any other player he's ever seen during his 30+ years with the Reds. Lenny Harris used to, but Dunn is on another level.
    Willie Greene, Chris Sabo, Eric Davis (Time #1) all have felt Marty's tongue lashing, Greene was beaten by Marty daily in the late 90's.

Let's add others like Showalter and LaRussa to the list too, and the league even stepped in to tell him to dial it back a notch concerning Dave Pallone 20 years ago. This is hardly new stuff fro Marty.

Here we are 2 weeks from March and Marty is marketing Reds baseball.

Yippee!!!

Reds Fever.... loath it and deride it.

School's out. What did you expect?

If Dunn goes I see EE being next on the hit list.
    Go Gators!

Marty has been around baseball a long time and I'm sure he has gained some knowledge of the game, but for the last 15 years or so, Marty has seemed to enjoy drawing attention to himself quite a bit. When you make your living on the radio, outrageous overstatements are probably the best way to garner that attention. Marty probably has a lot of knowledge hiding under there, but given his constant demand for attention pretty much everything he says needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

He stopped being a credible source of baseball knowledge a long time ago IMO. Its too hard to sort the real nuggets of information from the BS anymore. I enjoy his play by play and listen for news coming out of the front office and the like but I rally tune the other stuff out.

How many players sprint or run to their position? I really don't recall that many who do run to their position, there is no emergency to get there. You use up energy that you might need for later in the game, but when I played high school ball I don't ever remember being encouraged by a coach to run or sprint to my position, nor do I ever remember seeing a team mate or an oppontent do so.

Having said that I think Marty want to see some fire out of Dunn, it would be nice but Dunn is Dunn, he is not Pete Rose!!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

On miracle Friday, I'll bet Marty would have rather seen Adam Dunn hit a hard ground ball to the shortstop and hustle his gritty butt down the line for a game ending play than hit that ball out of the park. Homeruns are overrated, you know.

His call would have been just as exciting: "And Dunns grounds hard to short, but look at him run! Look at him run! Wow, that ended the game but what hustle. What terrific hustle to end the game!"

How many times is this going to get brought up? Marty is extra critical of Adam Dunn. Cool. Let's move on.

How many times is this going to get brought up? Marty is extra critical of Adam Dunn. Cool. Let's move on.
    I could have swore I saw some other threads around. No this is the only one...

When was the last time anyone saw Marty hustle to and from the broadcasting booth? Or, more appropriate for his position, when was the last time Marty actually did some leg work and turned up some tidbit of information that gave one a new perspective on the game they were listening to?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

When was the last time anyone saw Marty hustle to and from the broadcasting booth? Or, more appropriate for his position, when was the last time Marty actually did some leg work and turned up some tidbit of information that gave one a new perspective on the game they were listening to?
    How dare you aim such a wonderful point at a hall of famer?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    At one point last season, Dunn was one of about 25-30 current players with career OPS's over .900. He is no longer part of that group after having an awful September, but to answer your question...yes, I do consider Dunn a great hitter.
    How can great hitters strike out 180+ times a year? I think Marty's frustration is a way of saying, "I wish Dunn would cut down his swing and make contact instead of striking out so much. What's the difference if he hits the ball 460 feet instead of 410? Cut down your swing, raise the average, you'll hit more home runs and have more RBI's." That is when you could say Adam Dunn is a great hitter. Marty just has a way of being bitter and telling it as he sees it. I guess that is why I still enjoy listening to him.

All that being said, I still go to the park to watch Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Maybe if the amazingly bitter old man would, we all could. As it is, if he keeps tossing around this kind of maliciousness, I would expect people here will be commenting on it.

Dunn is a very frustrating player and Marty has to watch him every day. I dont think its right for Lord Marty to continually him out. How many other players are on Marty's list? Griffey, EE, Milton and a list of others. I personally feel that Marty is the hardest on Latino players but that JMO.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

How can great hitters strike out 180+ times a year?
    I was just thinking that myself as I pondered the awfulness of Ryan Howard.

Maybe if Dunn struck out 40 times less and then added 20 more ground outs and 20 more fly outs, we'd all feel better.

You have to spread those outs around. Even things out. That is what makes a great hitter.

Turn Off Ads?