Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Does anyone take him serriously for pretending it isn't?

from a marketing stand point it sure doesn't hurt.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The point is the strikeout has no value whatsoever. If you have a guy on 3rd with less than two outs, would you want a groundout to 2nd or a strikeout? There are times when a groundout has a huge difference in a game compared to a strikeout.
    Or- what happens more often is you come up with a man on first. Now, do you want Dunn to ground out or strikeout given the way he hustles?
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Marge Schott's record as owner speaks for herself. During her reign as owner only Ted Turner won more games in the NL. She was a little strange no doubt, but being a Reds fan was a lot more enjoyable winning with her as owner.
    Some people also think Chilis is a good place to eat.

I don't

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    from a marketing stand point it sure doesn't hurt.
    But MS marketing works for a myrid of reasons little of which has anything to do with him being a Rah-Rah chearleader for MS. MS marketing works because people like the product (you can argue over all of MS's issues/drawbacks on a different thread).

Attendence will increase only when the Reds are winning consistantly. Having Marty be nice to Dunn, and not be such a meanie has zero to do with why the seats are empty.

Once the Reds win regularly, then we can stop worring about the forrest and focus on the poofy haired tree.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Having Marty be nice to Dunn, and not be such a meanie has zero to do with why the seats are empty.
    Got some data for that?

Your assertion is on the same ground as the other side.

Any person selling something in this world would prefer that the spokesmen for the product being sold focus on the positives instead of the negatives, which we all know is not the approach that Marty takes.

I know what I'm buying when I listen to Marty and it's not how much so and so stinks or is overrated, that's just a stream from the privy to my drinking water and I find it does nothing to enhance the product.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Ok, so if he is complementary of Dunn's efforts, realizes his value to the team, and limits his critiscim only valid areas, and the Reds still suck.....this will improve attendence how?
    Its not about Dunn. Really, its not.

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 02-20-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post

GL
    So true, thinking it is red herring the size of the Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Any person selling something in this world would prefer that the spokesmen for the product being sold focus on the positives instead of the negatives, which we all know is not the approach that Marty takes..
    I'm in industrial sales. Of course you focus on the positives. You are also a liar and not protecting the customer if you ignore the negatives/short commings of a specific product. I don't trust any salesperson who never has a bad thing to say about their products. They just aren't being honest as there is no such thing as a perfect product.

Could Marty be more suave and smooth about the discussing the negatives. Yea. Does his view of what is negative neccesarly jive with reality (ie Dunn's K's). No. But would he be doing his job as "face of the franchise" if he never said anything bad about the on-field product? Never in a million years.

And all of this assumes the Reds want Marty to be the "face/voice of the francise"/marketing tool rather than a radio play-by-play announcer who entertains a lot of people durring ball games.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post

GL
    You are 100% right.

The issue is do more people find Marty interesting and tune in to 700wlw so they can sell more advertising than don't. It's got nothing to do with marketing the Reds, being the face of the franchise and all that other non-sense.

Since he's continued to have his contract extended, and many advertisers have been with 700 for years, I'd say he's doing a fine job.

So true, thinking it is red herring the size of the Titanic.
    Somehow if the title of the thread was "Marty Brennaman slams Juan Castro...again", I don't think we'd be up to 189 responces. So yea, that he choose to rip on Dunn, who is feircely protected by most of RZ, most certinally plays a role in the issue.

And all of this assumes the Reds want Marty to be the "face/voice of the francise"/marketing tool rather than a radio play-by-play announcer who entertains a lot of people durring ball games.
    Assumes?

He is the Broadcasting face of the franchise, he is the 1st entry on page 500 of the Reds Media Guide underneath Reds on the Airwaves, where they mention his tenure, his HOF entry and his awards. He does call ins to XM, ESPN, FOX and other outlets, he is the "Voice of the Reds" and has been for over 3 decades.

He's also known for saying, "I was here before you and will be here after you are gone" to several players.

Sounds to me like he's bigger then just a play by play man in the clubs (and his) eyes

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Could Marty be more suave and smooth about the discussing the negatives. Yea. Does his view of what is negative neccesarly jive with reality (ie Dunn's K's). No. But would he be doing his job as "face of the franchise" if he never said anything bad about the on-field product? Never in a million years.
    There's a mile of difference between blowing sunshine up everyone's collective rears 24/7 about everything Cincinnati Reds and going out to the offseason media and slamming the way one of the biggest name-players (or any player, for that matter) on the team plays the game.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Assumes?

He is the Broadcasting face of the franchise, he is the 1st entry on page 500 of the Reds Media Guide underneath Reds on the Airwaves, where they mention his tenure, his HOF entry and his awards. He does call ins to XM, ESPN, FOX and other outlets, he is the "Voice of the Reds" and has been for over 3 decades.

He's also known for saying, "I was here before you and will be here after you are gone" to several players.

Sounds to me like he's bigger then just a play by play man in the clubs (and his) eyes
    True, when many people think Reds they think Marty B. Being around 30 years, and being so good will do that.

Then again, my season ticket package last year had pictures of all the players, not Marty.

All of the billboards around town (what few of them I see) all have players pictures, not Martys.

When I go to reds.com I see pictures of players, coaches and on field activities.

When I go to the Reds hall of fame I see lots of exibits about Reds players.

When I go to GABP I see statues out front of former past great players.

When I go to the Reds merchasdise outlets at GABP I see a lot of jersey's, hats and other apparel with players names (past and present) on them.

Marty is one of their marketing tools, indeed. Is he the only one, far from it. Is he the one the Reds have chosen to invest all of their effort in? Don't know that any of us know that answer.

It's never good for an employee to denigrate a company's assets. never.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    It's never good for an employee to denigrate a company's assets. never.
    Unless he has a Bobblehead I guess

Turn Off Ads?