Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    My guess is, when the Reds begin regularly fielding competitive teams, and begin regularly challenging for playoff berths, what marty does--or does not--think about Adam Dunn won't be viewed with such grave consequence on here.

And it would be nice if the Reds--including Marty Brennamen--understood and appreciated that point.
    Well, in the midst of all the back and forth earlier I suddenly heard water running in the basement. Since we don't have a waterfall down here I knew I had problems. We had a heavy rain suddenly melting a good 6+ inches of snow and ice on the roof, and everything in the yard, and it overran the gutters, drains and filled a window well. Several hours of work later I think we have a handle on it.

Anyway, I agree Reg. Once the Reds are back to winning ways I think the "Marty situation" will blow over.

I think the Reds appreicate the value of Dunn. Or else they would traded him already. Marty...I think he just lets his frustration, stemming from an old-school mindset get the better of him.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 02-20-2007 at 07:36 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Secondly, Alfonso Soriano. Soriano was one of the precious few bright spots on the Nats last year, and the Nationals exploited him for all they could. There were Soriano billboards up around DC, Soriano bobbleheads, Soriano banners and posters throughout RFK, Soriano on the Washington Post newspaper stands, etc. And, perhaps most noticeably, he was trated like a star by the team's broadcasters.
    Edwin Encarnacion ought to be treated as an up and comer in Cincy. He ought to be one of the reasons to come out and see the Reds and the Reds should be stressing this.

Instead he has been labeled as a defensive liability already. He is someone the Reds could be building a cornerstone marketing campaign around. Win, lose, or draw it ought to be exciting to watch this kid play this year and the fans should be absolutely beside themselves with anticipation of the season this kid is going to put up.

Instead we have a cadre of fans who are wondering if he can play LF or 1B because of his defensive issues.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Which single entity of those you listed occupies your conciousness during the season. Likely 10s of hours apiece vs. the 100's of hours listenting to Marty. GL
    So Marty is the one and only marketing tool of the Reds? Hogwash. You yourself just posted that the Reds should be pushing EE to the fore. Besides winning, I think it would be infinatley more effective in building fan excitement to build around the players than fret over what Marty has or hasn't said.

Casual fans aren't likely to be listening to 10 hours of Reds on radio, let alone 100's. So if you pull all the right strings and get Marty to say what you want him to say, how many purely casual fans are you really reaching? For the most part you will be preaching to the converted. It totally misses the real issue; winning. Building a marketing effort around what people go to the ballpark to see, the players, makes far more sense than trying to turn Marty into some PT Barnam charicter for the Reds.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 02-20-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Couldn't be Marty Brennamen, he's just a Play by Play guy.
    Sigh....Of course he's more than a play-by-play guy. People think Reds they think Marty.

They also think Bench, Morgan, Parez, Rose, Davis, Sabo, Soto, Klu, Dunn, Jr, and on and on. They think Marge and her lunicy. Parker. Nolen. They think opening day. They think Big Red Machine. They think Frank Robinson. Unfortunatley, right now, they also think "crappy team".

The idea that Marty is the one and only marketing tool, or even the best marketing tool, of the Reds is just plan wrong, IMO.

They also think Bench, Morgan, Parez, Rose, Davis, Sabo, Soto, Klu, Dunn, Jr, and on and on. They think Marge and her lunicy. Parker. Nolen. They think opening day. They think Big Red Machine. They think Frank Robinson. Unfortunatley, right now, they also think "crappy team".
    Unfortunately Marty is the only guy amongst them who has a microphone on when he clocks in to be a Reds memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Are the fans dissatisfied because Marty rips on Bowden/Dunn?

Or beacuse the Reds haven't won crap since the turn of the century?
    It's more Marty. He is the emperor of Cincinnati and he rules over everyone that listens him. Unless that person is on Redszone and smart enough to avoid his evil brainwashing.

Luckily we have some of those geniuses on this site.

Everyone else is just a baseball idiot.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I'm sick of the Marty bashing on this board.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 02-20-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I don't think it's of grave consequence- I just want the guy who does the play by play and the commentary to be right on the obvious items. To harp on Dunn about hustling out to his position shows he doesn't have much of a clue.

What good does watching 162 ballgames a year do if you can't interpret basic stats?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'm sick of the Marty bashing on this board.
    Nobody's bashing Marty. They're just "telling it like it is".
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Nobody's bashing Marty. They're just "telling it like it is".
    Funny how a little distaste for the kool aid Marty pours causes so many to feel the need to insult those who don't care for it.

Funny how a little distaste for the kool aid Marty pours causes so many to feel the need to insult those who don't care for it.
    You insult people with every smartass, condescending remark you make. This happens almost daily. I wouldn't act above it.

I'm sorry I stooped.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    You insult people with every smartass, condescending remark you make. This happens almost daily. I wouldn't act above it.

I'm sorry I stooped.
    Your remorse is obvious.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Glad to know I'm only drinking kool-aide and not comming to my opinions on my own because I'm not wringing my hands over all of Marty's horrific faults.

But I know, it's only the "pro-Marty" camp that hurls insults.

Personally, I think Marty would fit right in here at Redszone.

Like him or not, he sparks a lot of conversation about Reds baseball and I don't think that is a bad thing, even if it does go against the grain and beliefs of some here at Redszone. I like Marty. I don't always agree with him, but I surely will take him every single day over the "vanilla" that exists in a lot of the MLB teams broadcast booths. I like his style.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Personally, I think Marty would fit right in here at Redszone.
    I wonder how long (or if he ever could) it would take for him to get 200 rep points? Perhaps he'd have negative points if he started here with anti-Dunn threads about running to-and-from his LF position?!?! Perhaps his top-5 favorite Elvis songs thread or his ask your tomato-growing-questions thread in the non-BB forum would earn him some points. It sure would be interesting.

Turn Off Ads?