Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

I want to see Dunn borrow the groundscrew workers golf cart and ride it out to left field on Opening Day.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I really want Adam Dunn to do tour jetes out to left field on Opening Day. Seriously.
    Or how about some Ozzie Smith backflips ?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Ryan Howard also hits in a much better lineup than Adam Dunn and has more protection. Dunn realistically is the only feared hitter in the Reds lineup. The Phillies have Howard, Burrell, Utley, and last year even had some Abreu, and some Dellucci.

The other reason Ryan Howard also hits for higher average is that he hits well to all fields. Dunn is predominantly a pull hiter, and gets that vicious shift. Teams don't use that IF shift for Ryan Howard.
    Great point...good post...wish I could give you rep points for that one, but you already have plenty!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    On miracle Friday, I'll bet Marty would have rather seen Adam Dunn hit a hard ground ball to the shortstop and hustle his gritty butt down the line for a game ending play than hit that ball out of the park. Homeruns are overrated, you know.

His call would have been just as exciting: "And Dunns grounds hard to short, but look at him run! Look at him run! Wow, that ended the game but what hustle. What terrific hustle to end the game!"
    I wonder if that call would have been replayed over and over for the next few weeks. People probably would have called in to hear the "Dunn Hustle Down the Line" call again.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Senor Votto

Why does it matter if he walks to the outfield? Is that stopping him from winning the Reds the game? No.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    First things first, I don't think any player is expected to sprint to their position. It would be nice to see a player jog to his position. I don't know if Adam Dunn walks to his position or not, but I don't think your statement holds water. While there may not be an emergency anywhere, it falls under the old school rule of having "respect for the game". If a player actually walked from the dugout to left field on a regular basis, or even if a player jog to the pitcher's mound or infield and began walking the rest of the way, I would have a problem with that as a fan. These guys are making millions of dollars so a 300 ft. jog to your outfield position 9 times per day isn't asking a lot.

As far as using up energy that may be needed later in the game, I have to ask if you are serious. So, without further adeau, are you serious? If a player is so out of shape that jogging to his position wears him out then perhaps he should care enough to get extensive cardio training. I would think the rest he gets in the dugout when his team's at bat would be more than enough to regain strength.

Finally, if your coach didn't encourage you to "hustle out there", I would think he wasn't much of a coach. Winning is, indeed, an attitude.
    I remember 3 games I attended in 2006 (2 in Philly, 1 in Cincy) where Griffey walked back to the dugout from CF and was entering the dugout just as the Reds 1/2 inning at the plate was about to begin. This is also the same Griffey, who numerous times during his tenure in Cincinnati, has not run out groundballs to 1B, a couple of which he would have been safe due to fielding miscues.

As much as people want to bash Dunn for his perceived work ethic and enthusiam for the game, I think there's a harsh double standard in place for Griffey compared to Dunn.

I remember 3 games I attended in 2006 (2 in Philly, 1 in Cincy) where Griffey walked back to the dugout from CF and was entering the dugout just as the Reds 1/2 inning at the plate was about to begin. This is also the same Griffey, who numerous times during his tenure in Cincinnati, has not run out groundballs to 1B, a couple of which he would have been safe due to fielding miscues.

As much as people want to bash Dunn for his perceived work ethic and enthusiam for the game, I think there's a harsh double standard in place for Griffey compared to Dunn.
    Absolutely agree 110% with you. The way these guys trot down the first base line is an embarrasment.

It's just another example of how money has hurt the game, IMO. Players with huge contracts know they're going nowhere. They also know they're going to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Absolutely agree 110% with you. The way these guys trot down the first base line is an embarrasment.

It's just another example of how money has hurt the game, IMO. Players with huge contracts know they're going nowhere. They also know they're going to play.
    Every year for over a 100 years.....

Baseball today isn't what it should be.The players do not try and learn the fine points of the game like they used to, instead they are content to just get by.

In my day players went into the clubhouse after a loss with murder in their hearts. they would have thrown any guy out on his neck if they had even suspected him of having the intentions of singing.

Bill Joyce 1916
    Roger Maris didn't run out grounders, he was the one who started it.

Robin Roberts
    There are a "few" good players today-you can count em on the fingers of one hand. But generally they're just out there going through the motions, just playing for the money."

Joe Sewell - 1980

For a Level Playing Field

Walked? You said walked, so I guess you truly mean walked. I really wonder if you saw him walk. Maybe half-jog, but walk? I can remember numerous threads where you have taken the opportunity to rip on Griffey. Did you really see him walk or are you "running" at another chance to get a dig on Griffey? I know this thread is about Dunn, but I am not shocked to see Griffey drug through the mud here. Walked... cannot remember this myself, but I'll have to take your word for it. Lord knows some people look at the man a lot in order to drag him down.

I think the groundball (normally an out) thing has been discussed numerous times on this site. I thought it was assumed that management would rather not risk a torn muscle in the leg and is okay with this. He may not be as potent as the past at the plate, but is still one of the best bats in the REDS lineup. Unfortunately injuries have bitten him since 2001. I would assume that management is willing to miss out on those 1 out of 100 typical groundouts that turn into an error for the sake of having his bat the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    The other night in the chat during the HSL show the subject of Marty got brought up and I said that I didnt care for him anymore. I said that I thouught he just comes off as a grumpy bitter old man. This is exactly what I was talking about. How someone has watched baseball for as long as Marty has and has such little understanding for the value of a guy like Adam Dunn is unbelievable. And I'm afraid this is just going to worse with Marty as time goes on, its becoming quite sad.
    Bitter? About what? If you think how Adam Dunn performs actually effects Marty's life you have to be crazy. Marty is doing what he gets paid to do--give his opinion on baseball without mincing words. What is sad is that you guys don't realize how far and above he is the best radio guy in the game. He truly makes the game exciting; his calls are the best--and in this video driven world, for an audio broadcast to be able to be as exciting and interesting as video is a tall order. Try tuning into some other announcers and you'll see how they are either dead boring, or very annoying. I think you all should count every day as lucky that we have Marty. As far as his opinion on Dunn, I agree with him 100%, in that I do not enjoy watching Adam Dunn play the game of baseball. It's depressing to see squandered talent and it's (and this is the biggest thing) unentertaining. If you want to say he's "valuable", fine. But how valuable can a player be who plays on a team that hasn't broken .500 in five years and plays in a bandbox. A little perspective is needed here guys.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Ryan Howard also hits in a much better lineup than Adam Dunn and has more protection. Dunn realistically is the only feared hitter in the Reds lineup. The Phillies have Howard, Burrell, Utley, and last year even had some Abreu, and some Dellucci.

The other reason Ryan Howard also hits for higher average is that he hits well to all fields. Dunn is predominantly a pull hiter, and gets that vicious shift. Teams don't use that IF shift for Ryan Howard.
    Don't get it. Adam Dunn has played on one of the top offensive clubs in the league over the past five years. Last year was the first time in a while they played to the middle of the pack.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Haven't I read all this before, recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Bitter? About what? If you think how Adam Dunn performs actually effects Marty's life you have to be crazy. Marty is doing what he gets paid to do--give his opinion on baseball without mincing words. What is sad is that you guys don't realize how far and above he is the best radio guy in the game. He truly makes the game exciting; his calls are the best--and in this video driven world, for an audio broadcast to be able to be as exciting and interesting as video is a tall order. Try tuning into some other announcers and you'll see how they are either dead boring, or very annoying. I think you all should count every day as lucky that we have Marty. As far as his opinion on Dunn, I agree with him 100%, in that I do not enjoy watching Adam Dunn play the game of baseball. It's depressing to see squandered talent and it's (and this is the biggest thing) unentertaining. If you want to say he's "valuable", fine. But how valuable can a player be who plays on a team that hasn't broken .500 in five years and plays in a bandbox. A little perspective is needed here guys.
    Really, I think Marty, at this point in his career, and Adam Dunn are a lot alike. Dunn hits home runs. Marty makes calls on the radio that give you goose bumps. Dunn gets on base alot and scores a lot of runs. Marty has a sweet radio voice and can make the game a joy to listen to. Dunn strikes out a lot. Marty strikes out by making silly statements on the radio like saying something to the effect of "I'd rather have guys that hustle than guys that hit home runs." Dunn doesn't hustle. Marty doesn't do his research. Dunn makes defensive mistakes on routine plays. Marty misses a number of routine plays while talking about golf, tomato plants, and American Idol. Maybe Marty should work on improving his game before he starts getting on other people about theirs.

You say its depressing to watch Adam Dunn squander his talent. I say it's depressing to listen to Marty squander his.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Willie Greene, Chris Sabo, Eric Davis (Time #1) all have felt Marty's tongue lashing, Greene was beaten by Marty daily in the late 90's.
    I very much remember Marty riding Harris, Greene, Davis and Larkin, but Sabo? I don't remember that. I'm not sayin you're wrong, just that I don't remember it. What did he get on Sabes about?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Marty has strong opinions and he's not afraid to say them. Sounds like other baseball nuts I know or read about on certain websites.

People hate those that are as arrogant as them.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?