Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I very much remember Marty riding Harris, Greene, Davis and Larkin, but Sabo? I don't remember that. I'm not sayin you're wrong, just that I don't remember it. What did he get on Sabes about?
    I distinctly remember Joe Nuxhall reacting once to a play Sabo made and belting out "what a bonehead play" which struck me as both funny and odd as Joe wasn't usually that hard on players. Can't remember what it was that Sabo did though.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I very much remember Marty riding Harris, Greene, Davis and Larkin, but Sabo? I don't remember that. I'm not sayin you're wrong, just that I don't remember it. What did he get on Sabes about?

Didnt WLW have a skit type song where they played Martys play by play criticism of Lenny Harris with the song "Nobody Does It Better" in the background??? Its been a while since I heard it but I thought it was hilarious.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Walked? You said walked, so I guess you truly mean walked. I really wonder if you saw him walk. Maybe half-jog, but walk? I can remember numerous threads where you have taken the opportunity to rip on Griffey. Did you really see him walk or are you "running" at another chance to get a dig on Griffey? I know this thread is about Dunn, but I am not shocked to see Griffey drug through the mud here. Walked... cannot remember this myself, but I'll have to take your word for it. Lord knows some people look at the man a lot in order to drag him down.

I think the groundball (normally an out) thing has been discussed numerous times on this site. I thought it was assumed that management would rather not risk a torn muscle in the leg and is okay with this. He may not be as potent as the past at the plate, but is still one of the best bats in the REDS lineup. Unfortunately injuries have bitten him since 2001. I would assume that management is willing to miss out on those 1 out of 100 typical groundouts that turn into an error for the sake of having his bat the plate.
    Walked.

No jog.

No trot.

All walk.

I wasn't alone at those 3 games. Mole and Cyclone went with me, and they both commented on the length of time it took him to get back to the dugout in Philly. I'm not trying to drag those two into this, but I know I'm not alone in the stance that Griffey takes every opportunity to attempt to do his body less harm if he can. If that's the case, then Griffey needs to be a DH in the AL, if he's trying to figure out ways to do less damage to his body between innings. I just find it amusing that no one really talks about other players that seemingly "loaf" here and there, but everyone loves to take shots at Dunn, the best position player on our team. Having lived in Philly since Spring of 2005, I watched that city run Bobby Abreu out of town (who was their best position player at the time) and I've watched them switch gears to try and run Pat Burrell out of town (who is arguably their 2nd best position player, but no worse than their 3rd). I don't want to see Reds fans run Adam Dunn out of town b/c his batting average falls between .230 and .270 and he only gives us 40 HR a year, and 100 RBI a year, and 100 R a year, and 100 BB a year.

I would love to know where I've taken unwarranted shots at Griffey. I thought from 1990 until 2000 Ken Griffey Jr was the end all be all in terms of baseball players for me. I've always thought he was a class act, until he brow-beat the Reds FO into signing Larkin into that ridiculous 3 year 27 Million dollar contract. I would love nothing more than to see Griffey return to be 75+% of what he used to be, but with his age and declining skill set, I think we all have to stomach what he can produce.

Do I want him off the Reds? Only if our return helps to offset his loss.
    Do I want to see him play 1 inning in CF in 2007? Absolutely not.
    Do I want him to see as many innings as possible when healthy in either LF, RF or 1B? You betcha.

If management is that concerned about Griffey's health, then they should do as much as they humanly can about it, and buy him a 1B's mitt, or ship him off to an AL club to be DH and get the best possible return.

Marty ripped Sabo for his awful baserunning, Sabo used to run into so many outs and Marty would call him on it. I felt he had that coming.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I think if Dunn is going to walk out to LF, the least he can do is a silly walk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Too bad announcers can't be censured.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think if Dunn is going to walk out to LF, the least he can do is a silly walk.

Even if he "walked like an egyptian" people'd probably complain that he was a terrorist.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Marty has strong opinions and he's not afraid to say them. Sounds like other baseball nuts I know or read about on certain websites.

People hate those that are as arrogant as them.
    Some people just hate their announcer running down the teams players a week before Spring Training starts.

If that makes me arrogant than so be it.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Sometimes I wish Dunn would totally try to change his game. Choke up, lay down bunts, try to go the other way and move runners over and such. That way the absurdity of that idea would become neon-bright.

C'mon Adam, do it, just to show 'em.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    But how valuable can a player be who plays on a team that hasn't broken .500 in five years and plays in a bandbox. A little perspective is needed here guys.
    How in blazes did Ernie Banks ever make the Hall of Fame, playing all those years on a Cubs team that didn't break .500 and played in Wrigley Field?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Adam Dunn is overrated.

Let's move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Sometimes I wish Dunn would totally try to change his game. Choke up, lay down bunts, try to go the other way and move runners over and such. That way the absurdity of that idea would become neon-bright.

C'mon Adam, do it, just to show 'em.
    I actually like that he thumbs his nose at the ham-and-eggers.

Screw 'em.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Adam Dunn is overrated.

Let's move on.
    You go ahead, see if anyone follows.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

George Anderson---yes, WLW did have such a clip (the Marty/Lenny Harris pbp clip with "Nobody does it better")--in fact Mike McConnell would play it every opening day on his show--unfortunately, the clip was lost around two years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Marty ripped Sabo for his awful baserunning, Sabo used to run into so many outs and Marty would call him on it. I felt he had that coming.
    I remember Marty saying something to the tune of Sabo having a "run 'till you're out" philosophy to base running.

Turn Off Ads?