Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

Re: Marty Brennaman slams Adam Dunn....again.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Did Furman find a new gig yet?
    http://www.supertalkfm965.com/Person...6/Default.aspx
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    What really stinks is that if I want to follow the Reds, I have to listen to Marty spew his venom. .
    What I find funny is that when Marty craps all over Dunn its "spewing venom". When it's crapping all over Eric Milton it's "the truth" or "just being realistic".

There have been very few people who claim that they don't like Marty to rip on any of the Reds players (M2 comes to mind). For the most part, my experience on RZ has been that it's because he's crapping on Dunn, and people here are by nature a bit protective/defenseive about Dunn that Marty runs afoul with a bunch of folks (not everybody, but it seems to be the vocal majority). If the main target of his attacks was Milton or Mike Burns I serriously doubt we'd have as many people complaining about the attacks on players. There would be some, but not nearly as many as when it's Dunner getting broadsided.

I'd much rather have a broadcaster with an opinion that is wrong, than a broadcaster with no opinions whatsoever and always be right. Marty all day or George Grande/Steve Stewart? Marty by a landslide. But that's my personal preference, I understand everybody has a different view.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

[quote=Ltlabner;1245332]You are correct, he is simply reinforcing the fans already held and established beliefe that K's are bad. The idea that Marty somehow started this bandwagon of fans who think K's are bad all on his poofy haired own is silly. [quote]

You keep saying this. Show me where someone has made that argument. I believe you think I did, however, I did not.

As is the idea that he is whipping up "Dunn hatred". All fans around baseball hold up the most tallented and highly paid players on the team to unrealistic standards and expect them to be infallable because their paycheck has so many zeros in it.
    I don't really care if fans across MLB do that. I do care when the radio PBP guy does it.

If Marty went on a corrdinated campaign today to educate fans about the worth of Dunner, there would remain a large core of fans who would never be happy with what Dunn produces.
    No doubt, but he'd sway some of the more casual fans IMO.

GL

What I find funny is that when Marty craps all over Dunn its "spewing venom". When it's crapping all over Eric Milton it's "the truth" or "just being realistic".
    What I find funny is that anyone could compare the two comparisons.

What did Marty say about Milton? It probably fills 1/2 of a 3x5 card, every call in or interview this off season (and prior) he's brought up Dunn, and derides his power and and what he does bring to the team.

What's Eric Milton bring to the team?

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    You keep saying this. Show me where someone has made that argument. I believe you think I did, however, I did not.
    Several folks have made the argument that Marty has a legion of listeners who believe every word he says. "Takes his word as gospel" is what I seem to remember. Do a search on your own.

My contention has been and remains...

1) There will be a small segment of fans who take Marty's word as gospel because they are casual fans at best and want to get on a radio show, co-opt Martys comments so they can appear baseball-smart around the water-cooler, etc.

2) For topics like K's, RBI's, hustle, etc Marty isn't swaying anybody. Most casual fans think K's are the devil, RBI's are the only/best indicator of productive atbats and hustle is king all on their own. Marty is only repeating what they already believe.

Well count me in the camp who doesn't like it when Marty speaks ill of any player, or anyone else for that matter. With his voice dripping with disdain and sarcasm, it totally rubs me the wrong way. Just because Dunn is his favorite target doesn't mean I'm okay with it when he does it to others. As I said, criticism is one thing. Spewing venom is spewing venom, no matter who its directed at. I don't like Jim Bowden as a person or a GM, but I would never broadcast my dislike of Bowden over the air and I think Marty sounds childish when he does it.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    What I find funny is that anyone could compare the two comparisons.

What did Marty say about Milton? It probably fills 1/2 of a 3x5 card, every call in or interview this off season (and prior) he's brought up Dunn, and derides his power and and what he does bring to the team.

What's Eric Milton bring to the team?
    Eric Milton brings heartache and agony to the team.

Marty is dead wrong about Dunn. Never made the case that he was right.

But I contend that if Marty praised Dunn and only attacked say David Weathers, Eric Milton or David Ross we'd have very few "Marty's too negative and crotchity" threads. Fact is, having to defend Dunn all the time at RZ does make people pretty defenseive about the large one in LF.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 02-19-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Well count me in the camp who doesn't like it when Marty speaks ill of any player, or anyone else for that matter. With his voice dripping with disdain and sarcasm, it totally rubs me the wrong way. Just because Dunn is his favorite target doesn't mean I'm okay with it when he does it to others. As I said, criticism is one thing. Spewing venom is spewing venom, no matter who its directed at. I don't like Jim Bowden as a person or a GM, but I would never broadcast my dislike of Bowden over the air and I think Marty sounds childish when he does it.
    Yep, heard him rip an opposing manager, GM, Player, Front office type?

Check

Heard him rip and email writer

Check

Heard him rip someone who called in on the phone

Check

Heard him rip someone in the press

Check

and on and on and on....

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    There have been very few people who claim that they don't like Marty to rip on any of the Reds players (M2 comes to mind).
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=22
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=49
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=50
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=53

You can add myself, Roy Tucker, Yachtzee, Always Red to that list.

I think alot more people would say the same, they just haven't to this point.

GL

I have no problem with being candid about a players performance.

I have a huge problem with said announcer not understanding a players performance.

ERA and HR's allowed are decent enough stats to evaluate a pitcher. Milton is bad in both areas when he's healthy, and he's never been healthy as a Red.

BA and RBI's are bad stats when evaluating a hitter.

And by now, Marty should know better.

Oh, and I never want to see a 270 lb LF sprinting to his position. ever. That's wasted energy. Maybe that's fine for Todd Coffey, who does it once per game that he appears in, it is not fine for a guy like Dunn.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The Reds were in a race last season...
    The Reds had a losing season in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post
    The Reds had a losing season in 2006.
    And still only a couple of games from the playoffs.

You can argue that the Reds team wasn't very good last season (and you would probably win), but they were in a race last season, regardless if it was due to them being good, or everyone else being really bad.

Every single week the value of my Marty-autographed Reds jersey just keeps doing a nose dive.

Personally, I don't care if Dunn jogs to his position. (It's not like he strolls out there.) I'd rather see him track fly balls better but running to his position between innings isn't going to help that.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Andy Furman and Tom Dinkle did Sunday morning Sportstalk in 1998. They were terrible.

Richard Skinner and Tom Gamble do it now. They aren't much better.
    During the week now, Tom and Richard are split. Richard still does mornings on Homer, while Tom does 6-9 on WLW (except Tuesdays when he teaches a night class at NKU). Seg fills in on tuesdays (and I would assume he would fill in if Tom took vacation -- hasn't happened yet).

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Who led the league in ground outs last year? I'm going to rip that guy like Marty does Adam.

Turn Off Ads?