Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Blackout Question

Blackout Question

Hey guys I know this may be a silly question but any help at all from anyone will be greatly appreciated. By now Im sure all of you know about the proposed idea to put MLB Extra Innings exclusively on Directv, well unfortunately I have had Dish Network for less than a year and am still under contract so switching isnt an option. My question is that if EI isnt offered on dish network, would I be able to purchase the package that includes all of the FSN channels in order to watch their games? Isnt the blackout rule only supposed to affect those people that live in the teams market? (by the way I live in Erie, PA). Since the games wouldnt be exclusive to MLB EI, and im not in the Reds market, wouldnt they show the games on FSN Cincinnati??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blackout Question

Quote Originally Posted by redsman344 View Post
    Hey guys I know this may be a silly question but any help at all from anyone will be greatly appreciated. By now Im sure all of you know about the proposed idea to put MLB Extra Innings exclusively on Directv, well unfortunately I have had Dish Network for less than a year and am still under contract so switching isnt an option. My question is that if EI isnt offered on dish network, would I be able to purchase the package that includes all of the FSN channels in order to watch their games? Isnt the blackout rule only supposed to affect those people that live in the teams market? (by the way I live in Erie, PA). Since the games wouldnt be exclusive to MLB EI, and im not in the Reds market, wouldnt they show the games on FSN Cincinnati??

You can purchase it, but I don't think it will do you a lot of good. You'll just get your home area's games and that's it.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You can purchase it, but I don't think it will do you a lot of good. You'll just get your home area's games and that's it.
    What he said is 100% true. I tried this years ago when Dish told me that you could. They were wrong.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yep, and the basic package offers one of the regional Fox Sports networks. So you can get Fox Sports Cincy without upgrading to the sports package.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    What he said is 100% true. I tried this years ago when Dish told me that you could. They were wrong.
    Well wasn't the reason that Dish blacked out those games was because they were "exclusive" to MLB EI subscribers? Now that the subscription is gone, can't they legally give out of town fans the game if they pay for the FSN Broadcast?

Quote Originally Posted by redsman344 View Post
    Well wasn't the reason that Dish blacked out those games was because they were "exclusive" to MLB EI subscribers? Now that the subscription is gone, can't they legally give out of town fans the game if they pay for the FSN Broadcast?
    No. Dish only offered EO the last 2 or 3 years, but the games were blacked out before that.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

MLB would have a real issue with them showing games without blackouts.
    Go Gators!

I get blackout drunk whenever Milton pitches.

redsman, im going to be in erie as well and was wondering the exact same thing. If you find out for sure if we can get reds games through cable or satellite let me know if you can.

I think the answer will be no. Because you are outside the Reds market area, the Reds will probably be blacked out regardless of whether you have FSN Ohio/Cincinnati or not. I live in the Cleveland market area and had hoped that I would get the Reds on FSN Ohio now that the Indians are on Sports Time Ohio. For a few weeks before last season, it looked like that dream might come true. FSN Ohio showed the "Reds Week" programming right before the season started and I actually saw the Reds games on the FSN Ohio schedule. Unfortunately, once the season started they blocked the Reds games and showed poker tournaments instead. I think the blackout rules are based on protecting the "home market" teams rather than whether or not EI is available. I suspect in Erie you will be able to watch the Indians and Pirates if you bought the sports package, but no Reds, since I think the Indians and Pirates both consider Erie a "home market."
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

You'll probably get to see the pregame, but the game itself (along with any other professional sports game that has a package like EI) will be blacked out. That stinks man.
    Here's to another record-breaking season from Adam Dunn ...another 40 homeruns (all coming with nothing on the line) and 200 Ks! We Want King Jay!!

Turn Off Ads?