Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Dunn reports early

Adam Dunn reports early

According to John Fay's blog, Dunner in camp early, in shape, ready to go.
    __________________________________________________ _______

Monday, February 19, 2007
    Dunn talks the talk

"I just don't want to be good. I want to be a great one. I think I can." If you guessed that's Adam Dunn talking about playing left field, you ought to try to guess lottery numbers. But Dunn did indeed say that. He reported today, looking like he's in good shape. "I ate better," he said. He also ran more. And he worked some hitting coach Brook Jacoby.

Dunn didn't know what he weighed. But he looks fit enough to challenge for the heavyweight title in his beloved Ultimate Fighting Championship.

He seems determined and ready to put last year behind him. "I'm try to forget about that."

Obviously, he'll be tomorrow's story, or rather one of them. Josh Hamilton has his press conference at 2 p.m.

Back to Dunn, here's what Jerry Narron had to say about him yesterday: “Everybody gets on him about a lot of different things. I think there’s lot of people who look at him for what he cannot do instead of what he does for us. That’s part of the business we’re in. The baseball business people look at the negative side of things a lot of times.”

But Dunn created a lot of positive vibe for himself by showing up early, in good shape and saying that he wants to get better.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adam Dunn reports early

To continue w/ this. This from Trent's Blog::

Dunn debate

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Adam Dunn's here and have at it.

Dunn looks noticably leaner, he said he's done more running and eating much better. New hitting coach Brook Jacoby visited him for about a month ago in Houston.

Dunn said he just wants to forget last season, when he 40 home runs, drove in 92 runs and scored 99 runs. He also hit .234, struck out a major league high 194 times and committed 13 errors.

"I’m trying ot get that out of my head, first of all," Dunn said. "I spent all offseason thinking about how hard the last two months of the season were for me; I was terrible. I don’t want that to happen to me again."

Reds manager Jerry Narron said he's very impressed by what he's seen of Dunn so far.

"I love that he's here early and he's in great shape," Narron said. "Just talking to him, I love what he says about defense and being the best leftfielder he can be."

Narron said there's no plans on playing Dunn at first base.

Dunn said he's looking to concentrate on defense this spring.

"That’s something I’ve probably taken a little too lightly in the past," Dunn said. "That’s going to be my main focus this spring, not to be a good one, but a great one. And I think I can."

Let the Dunn bashing comments begin...

I hope he comes in and has a great season. His performance obviously is a huge determining factor on the club's success in '07.

Dunn didn't say he wants to be better...he said he wants to be great! I want him to be great.

Here's to Adam Dunn showing up early, in shape and with something to prove to himself!

I love it!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Way to go Adam, ignore the critics and just show them on the field what you came to do. I love that he doesn't typically lower himself to the levels of the "Dunn bashers".
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Marty's still pissed at him. He didn't run out to his gate through security to the airport or down to baggage claim.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    Way to go Adam, ignore the critics and just show them on the field what you came to do. I love that he doesn't typically lower himself to the levels of the "Dunn bashers".
    I am more inclined to think he is tired of listening to his critics and is out to prove them wrong.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

According to Marty, Dunn heard there was going to be free food and a massage chair for anyone who showed up early.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Maybe having the responsibility of a wife and child made him rethink his life and goals.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I am more inclined to think he is tired of listening to his critics and is out to prove them wrong.
    That would not be a bad thing. In shape, working with a purpose on his defense and not just going through the motions, and getting with the new hitting coach early to work on what happened late last season. All positives.

I'm telling you guys, I've heard absolutely nothing this offseason but good things about Adam. I knew he was lifting really hard and was dedicated to lifting with Jay Bruce. I didn't know he was dieting, or eating better and didn't know he was running as much as he was. Those are all good signs. I think Dunn has a tremendous amount of natural talent and I think if the guy just gets motivated (whatever it takes to do that) he can put up some huge numbers. I really hope this is the year. All signs to this point look good.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    Maybe having the responsibility of a wife and child made him rethink his life and goals.
    Good point. Also, maybe he's just doing what the rest of us have done as we changed our mindset as we get a little older. Maybe he's coming to grips with the fact the numbers he puts up (positive or negative) will be in stat books and cyber space for the rest of time. That's what makes baseball the best game on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I'm telling you guys, I've heard absolutely nothing this offseason but good things about Adam. I knew he was lifting really hard and was dedicated to lifting with Jay Bruce. I didn't know he was dieting, or eating better and didn't know he was running as much as he was. Those are all good signs. I think Dunn has a tremendous amount of natural talent and I think if the guy just gets motivated (whatever it takes to do that) he can put up some huge numbers. I really hope this is the year. All signs to this point look good.
    And something could be said for being given the role of "mentor". Sometimes people with lots of tallent can get lazy, especially when they are on a crap team. But perhaps the role of mentor, teaching Jay, having some responibility re-lit his enthusasim for the game a bit? Also, having a tallented youngster around might be pushing him a bit from either real or implied competition.

The wife and kid doesn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    It sure kicked my ass into shape.

Very good point, creek.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

So has anyone posted any photos of the new and improved Dunner yet?
    I can't find any.

Turn Off Ads?