Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Wilson at camp

Can he be stopped?

Paul Wilson at camp

Ok, so I know discussing PW is a bit like beating a dead horse

However, he got the call to come to camp this year, and I'm really digging his long hair . What are the chances that he has any stuff left in his arm? I loved his good year for the Reds, it was great to see him overcome adversity and injuries and have a good year for once, and his dedication in rehabbing is a reason he's still a fan favorite even if he may never help the team again.

Paul's New Look

So will Paul be able to even throw at AAA this year? Will he be a surprise addition to the club as a long reliever? Will he win the 5th starter spot (hyper wishful thinking there) or will he be out of baseball or bouncing around in AA somewhere?
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Paul Wilson at camp

Didn't he have the long hair last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    Ok, so I know discussing PW is a bit like beating a dead horse

However, he got the call to come to camp this year, and I'm really digging his long hair . What are the chances that he has any stuff in his left arm? I loved his good year for the Reds, it was great to see him overcome adversity and injuries and have a good year for once, and his dedication in rehabbing is a reason he's still a fan favorite even if he may never help the team again.
    ?
    I rearranged that sentence for you because that's the real question we should be asking about Paul Wilson.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Situational Hitting is Stupid

I agree with most, it's highly unlikely, but I do have some man love for Paul Wilson. I've always loved the players who wanted to be with MY team. That's why I love Griffey too. Paul could have gotten more money a couple seasons back, but instead he stayed in Redleg Nation. I hope he's got one more round in him.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I've been down on the field when he's rehabbing and throwing balls around, etc...and he seems like he can still "throw" the ball...but can he pitch?

I personally think he is done, although I do hope for the alternative. I would love to see the guy come back and be a great asset to this team...but...that's unlikely in my opinion.

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    I rearranged that sentence for you because that's the real question we should be asking about Paul Wilson.
    I was doubting my sanity for a second there when I saw you re-arrange my sentence... then I saw what you did, and went back to merely questioning my sanity.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I agree with most, it's highly unlikely, but I do have some man love for Paul Wilson. I've always loved the players who wanted to be with MY team. That's why I love Griffey too. Paul could have gotten more money a couple seasons back, but instead he stayed in Redleg Nation. I hope he's got one more round in him.
    I have the same feelings about Wilson. I realize he's never had real good stuff even when he was healthy for the Reds, but I just think he's a great teammate and the type of player you want in the clubhouse. The guy was on rehab the entire season last year yet he was always in the dugout during home games supporting his team. Not many players would do such a thing.

Having said that though, I don't think he'll ever throw a pitch in a major league game again, but I like his presence in spring training.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

in other news, Paul's right arm is scheduled to join him in sarasota next Thursday.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    in other news, Paul's right arm is scheduled to join him in sarasota next Thursday.
    LOL. Not trying to encourage wise cracks, but man, that was funny.

Wilson's probably a long shot, gut he could prove to be a wild card in this camp.

If he can still pitch maybe he could be the closer
    Most Vottomatic Player

Not sure if that was a wise crack or not, but if not do you know what his velocity is? Last year in the minors his "heat" was hitting nothing higher than 88. Not exactly closer material.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    Not sure if that was a wise crack or not, but if not do you know what his velocity is? Last year in the minors his "heat" was hitting nothing higher than 88. Not exactly closer material.
    You don't have to be a fireballer to be a closer, you just have to be able to get people out.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    And if you recall it was later discovered that the 88 was fabricated/exaggerated. He only broke 80 MPH a handful of times and hovered at 77 yes 77 MPH during a stint in Dayton. Sad. He would be great BP.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    And if you recall it was later discovered that the 88 was fabricated/exaggerated. He only broke 80 MPH a handful of times and hovered at 77 yes 77 MPH during a stint in Dayton. Sad. He would be great BP.
    I like Paul Wilson as much as the next guy but I think he has nothing left in the tank. I can't remember where I heard the Batting practice thing before...
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Turn Off Ads?