Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emphysema

Emphysema

So, at the ripe old age of 29, I've been diagnosed with the onset of emphysema. I feel like I'm really too young for something like this to have happened to me, and I've only smoked for about 8 years now, but now I don't have a choice in the matter, it's either the cigarettes or my life...

Albuterol makes me shaky too...

They say it's early, and treatable now, so hopefully I can quit and not have too many problems on down the road.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Emphysema

My neighbor had horrible emphysema for years. He smoked just about all his life and continued past the treatable stages. Having seen it first hand, believe me when I say they're not worth it.

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/how2quit.htm

Edit: Also should add good luck and I wish you the best. Coming from a family of smokers, I know it's not always easy.
    Last edited by HumnHilghtFreel; 02-20-2007 at 02:12 PM.

You'll be fine. It's not hard to quit. The hardest thing about it is realizing that it's not hard. Once you get that down, it's easy.

See?
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Good luck, savafan. I'll be praying for you.

Sava,
    My thoughts are with you. My wife smoked heavily, but she resolved to quit before we got married. It took her about a year and a half, but through determination and a healthy dose of self forgiveness whenever she backslid, she did it.

That was fifteen years ago and today the doc tells her she has lungs as pink and healthy as could be.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    So, at the ripe old age of 29, I've been diagnosed with the onset of emphysema.

Yikes....

I wish you the best, and hope you can overcome this.

Thank goodness they caught it early. Hang in there.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I wish you nothing but the best.

I haven't had a cigarette in nine days now. I ran a mile this morning and felt great. You can do it. It's really not hard at all, as long as you know you won't smoke again. Don't "think" or "hope", know.

Sava,
    My thoughts are with you brother. I quit smoking about fifteen years ago, and my wife quit shortly after that. Our experience was totally different- she had a much harder time, probably because she smoked about twice as much as I did. So, her plan was to take it slow, cutting down bit by bit until she was down to about two a day. Those last two took a while, but she eventually succeeded.
    Today, the doctor says her lungs are in great shape after kicking the two pack a day habit when she was two years younger than you.

Best of luck quitting.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Sava, are you sure this isn't your picture?

Seriously. When it comes to quitting, you've got plenty of support here. I smoke for 7 years and quit in 2000. It's roughest that first week. Then you'll feel good about it, might have a real smoking jones a few months later, but then, for me at least, it was smooth sailing.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

For a Level Playing Field

Take care of yourself and do what is best for yourself, sava. You can do it! There are lots of things/products to help.

Your health depends on it.

I wish you the best and hope quitting goes well for you.

sava - Really sorry to hear that, but as others have said, you can do this. I will be rooting for you for sure. My wife also quit cold turkey after we got married (12 years ago). There's lot's of good examples of success to be sure. You'll be another.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I smoked for almost 4 years and managed to kick the habit. What I did (which really should not be recommened to anyone btw) was to begin to chew tobacco instead of smoke it. So instead of taking in 2 mg of nicotine every 2 hours you absorb 8mg every 8 hrs.

So in a sense it cut me down from 5-8 "breaks" a day down to 2. I just weened myself down from there and a month later I was finished with it entirely.
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 02-21-2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: and I wish you the best big guy

Hi Sava -
    Stay away from any friends that smoke for now. Do not even TOUCH a pack of cigs (Q: "can you hand me those? A: No.")
    Good luck!

Turn Off Ads?