Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarasota Stadium deal in trouble?

Sarasota Stadium deal in trouble?

The following link gives mixed signals on just how serious the problem is. Those who have followed the story closely know that $10 million in private money had to be found to complete the deal. It hasn't been found yet.

Ballpark Digests Headline: New Reds training facility in some doubt

Synopis paragraph: The deal for a new $54-million Cincinnati Reds spring-training facility is in serious danger of collapsing, as Sarasota officials are having a hard time finding a private developer to contribute $10 million to the project. Sarasota and the Reds went ahead with the deal without a developer in place in order to qualify for $15 million in state funding for the project, which was preliminarily approved. A final agreement must be done by May to secure the state funds.

The article poses a troubling but not bleak picture.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pb...ST89/702190477
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sarasota Stadium deal in trouble?

Arizona anyone? Do you think the Reds will leave Florida if they can't get the funding for Sarasota?

No.... teams have to move in pairs. Some other city in Florida would be the new location. Like Vero Beach.

I think Vero Beach would be nice never be to the park but I hear it is nice in that area and I would like to go Spring Training in that area for awhile for different teams to play more.

This story about the deal being in trouble surfaces as often as Brittney Spears heads to rehab. And the issues get worked through. They are not going anywhere.

I've followed the story closely, listened to the City Council meetings, etc. I think there is at least a 50% chance of them moving. The support they have from the commissioners is very thin.

In recent years they've gone from Tampa to Plant City to Sarasota. They can easily move again.

Bonita Springs was the other city trying to lure the Indians, so I suspect that Vero would be the short term answer and either Vero or Bonita would be the long.

I really liked visiting Sarasota last year, so the notion of the Reds leaving there seems sad. Is Vero Beach looking to upgrade their facilities now that the Dodgers have left? I have no idea how nice Dodgertown was, but if they were the new, upgraded facilities the Reds are looking for, why did the Dodgers leave? I've never been to Bonita Springs, so I have no idea what its like, but my aunt and uncle have a condo down in Naples and they've offered the family the chance to use it when they aren't down there, so I'd have that going for me.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I really liked visiting Sarasota last year, so the notion of the Reds leaving there seems sad. Is Vero Beach looking to upgrade their facilities now that the Dodgers have left? I have no idea how nice Dodgertown was, but if they were the new, upgraded facilities the Reds are looking for, why did the Dodgers leave? I've never been to Bonita Springs, so I have no idea what its like, but my aunt and uncle have a condo down in Naples and they've offered the family the chance to use it when they aren't down there, so I'd have that going for me.

I've been to Redstown (I mean Dodgertown). The Stadium is very out of date. Team Clark and other say the practice facilities/fields are great.

The Dodgers are moving because they want to be closer to LA, and the Brooklyn Dodgers fans are fading out.....

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I've been to Redstown (I mean Dodgertown). The Stadium is very out of date. Team Clark and other say the practice facilities/fields are great.

The Dodgers are moving because they want to be closer to LA, and the Brooklyn Dodgers fans are fading out.....
    Fair enough. I suspect that unless Vero ponies up for a new stadium, it would be a short term stay?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

That's what I think also. Bonita Springs was offering a new stadium, so if Vero wants to be other than a 2 year deal, they need a new stadium. My preference would be Vero over Sarasota, but that's only because it's an hour closer for me.

The latest... Sarasota still trying to close that 10 million gap. An election has been held and now supporters hold only a 3-2 edge on Council.

City asked for bids once before to lease land around stadium, got no takers. That offer required a 700K per year payment.

Bids were just asked for again, and this time they got 2 bids. One for 2 million, and the other for a dollar figure to be determined later. The TDB group seems more substantial.

The latest "deadline" is 1 July for Reds to pull out. City can pull out whenever they want. Still touch and go.

This came up while I was down there recently. The players think they may be in Arizona next year. They did not feel very optimistic and frankly, after seeing some of the other facilities, the Reds have a strong argument. The Ellis facility needs a bunch of work and updating. I don't think that it is fair or likely that the Reds should feel obliged to come up with the money. They have made substantial commitments and this should've been resolved by now. One of the things that I heard, was that in order to move to Arizona, another team would have to go with us, in order to maintain balance in the leagues. Anyone know about that?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

That rule is true Fargo, another team would have to move for the Reds to also move.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That rule is true Fargo, another team would have to move for the Reds to also move.
    Thanks for clearing the air on that Double D. The Orioles get my vote to go with us. Their facility looks worse than ours. The nicest facility that I've seen belongs to the Twins in Fort Myers. That seems to set the right tone for the level of facility we should be shooting for.

My vote is to go to Vero Beach.... But there was article today that seemed to think that the construction slowdown has meant that estimates are coming in lower than previously thought. This would shrink the 10 million shortfall.

By the way Fargo, it won't be Orioles. Ft Lauderdale is redoing their facility and bringing minor league operations there. So unless that deal falls apart....
    Last edited by JaxRed; 04-21-2007 at 12:30 AM.

Turn Off Ads?