Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody else sell on eBay? Elsewhere?

Re: Anybody else sell on eBay? Elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    I stopped at each booth that had these and no one could go less than $90. I actually had one seller go off on a profanity laced tirade about how eBay is going to put everyone out of business.
    ...and the reason they can't sell on ebay is what?

I hate to hear people bellyache about what someone else's fair competition is doing to their business. Either compete or find another line of work.

If I may go on a tangent for a moment...

A few years ago a local grocery store closed because Kroger (and then Walmart) moved in with brighter stores, wider aisles, and better selection. When the story of the store's closing ran in the local paper, the store owner was quoted as saying that "the community had let him down" by moving their business to the new stores that he couldn't compete with.

I don't often write letters to the editor, but in this case, I fired off a letter pointing out that this same man most likely put a few Mom and Pop country stores out of business when his "nice, new, modern" store opened up in town back in the 60s, but now that the shoe was on the other foot, he was ready to blame the community for the failure of his business.

redsmetz, back to your original question...I have no idea. I haven't sold on ebay since last summer, but the stuff I listed did okay, I guess. I have more things that I plan to list in a few weeks, and I'll go to ebay with them, too. I'm just not motivated to learn another system right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go View Post
    I sell OOP D&D and other RPG stuff from my (in my wife's opinion) 'disturbingly-large' book collection, as well as trade paperback comics that I don't read anymore.
    Nerds!

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    ...and the reason they can't sell on ebay is what?

I hate to hear people bellyache about what someone else's fair competition is doing to their business. Either compete or find another line of work.

If I may go on a tangent for a moment...

A few years ago a local grocery store closed because Kroger (and then Walmart) moved in with brighter stores, wider aisles, and better selection. When the story of the store's closing ran in the local paper, the store owner was quoted as saying that "the community had let him down" by moving their business to the new stores that he couldn't compete with.

I don't often write letters to the editor, but in this case, I fired off a letter pointing out that this same man most likely put a few Mom and Pop country stores out of business when his "nice, new, modern" store opened up in town back in the 60s, but now that the shoe was on the other foot, he was ready to blame the community for the failure of his business.

redsmetz, back to your original question...I have no idea. I haven't sold on ebay since last summer, but the stuff I listed did okay, I guess. I have more things that I plan to list in a few weeks, and I'll go to ebay with them, too. I'm just not motivated to learn another system right now.
    I understand what you're saying. To some degree that's the nature of competition and I don't know what the solution is for smaller stores. I know the one item I was selling regularly (Skyline chili) has a lot of competition and, frankly, I don't know how some of these folks are pricing it because they've got to be losing money. I've just got to ride that out.

I'll probably add some more things this week to see if I can spark it. I'll be putting up my baseball stuff with Spring Training starting. I've got a number of Reds items (including a Kearns bobblehead I forgot I had!). That might do some good.

I hear you macro. A large town near where I live is going through the same thing. One example is one of the largest lumber yards in Maine complaining about Home Depot. Do you know how many lumber yards were put out of business by the guy doing the complaining now?

These people now being affected by the Home Depots of the world didn't care who they drove out of business when they came into town.

Why is a Mom and Pop Pizza store that comes into town and blows everyone away with how good it is, eating up the competetion along the way, any different that Pizza Hut coming into town?

Back to ebay, how do you sell chili? Is it still warm when I get it?

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Back to ebay, how do you sell chili? Is it still warm when I get it?
    Canned.

Some folks asked to let them know when I put up my Cincinnati Reds items. I listed them tonight.

Turn Off Ads?