Turn Off Ads?

Thread: An old dog learns a new trick

An old dog learns a new trick

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/b...sports-marlins

JUPITER Position players won't have their first official workout until this morning, but Marlins infield coach Perry Hill already was working Tuesday with his newest pupil.

Among Hill's projects this spring is getting Aaron Boone comfortable at first base. Signed to a one-year free-agent deal, Boone will see occasional time at third behind Miguel Cabrera, but the Marlins told him to prepare for the other corner infield spot as well.

During his 10 big-league seasons Boone has played every infield position except first.

"A ground ball is a ground ball," manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "The things he's going to have trouble with are the little flips to the pitcher covering first base, which he's never done, and also turning that 3-6-3 double play. I saw him out there a little bit today and it looks like he's done it. He's a hell of an athlete. ... I don't see any reason why he couldn't adjust to it."

Boone said having Hill as an instructor should help the transition.

"I don't really know how to articulate it, but he says a lot of meaningful stuff," Boone said. "Sometimes you get out there and guys say things that you could tell me. Everything he says has a purpose and a meaning and he explains it. I feel like I'm already better having one session with him."

I think he will be ok at first

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: An old dog learns a new trick

You can't knock Boonie for not trying.

I always liked the guy for his effort, and I don't recall him griping at all when he switched to 2nd base for the Reds.

Would it not be a smarter move to put Miguel Cabrera at first since his D is so bad?
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Turn Off Ads?