Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tommy Morrison misdiagnosed with HIV

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Tommy Morrison misdiagnosed with HIV

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

"CHESTER, W.Va. (AP) -- Former World Boxing Organization heavyweight champion Tommy Morrison said Thursday a positive HIV test that ended his career more than a decade ago was inaccurate and he is staging a comeback to take care of some unfinished business.

Morrison, 38, will appear in a four-round fight Thursday at Mountaineer Racetrack and Gaming Resort.

I'm negative and I've always been negative and that should be the end of it," Morrison said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

"The rug was yanked out from under my feet by a misdiagnosis," he said. "All I want to do is fight ... It's unfinished business."

State Athletic Commissioner Steve Allred said Tuesday he approved Morrison's participation in Thursday's fight after reviewing medical records and consulting with the Association of Boxing Commissions' medical review committee. Confidentiality laws prevent Allred from discussing Morrison's medical history or the records he reviewed, he said.

West Virginia does not have mandatory blood testing for boxers.

"I assure you that West Virginia is doing due diligence to make sure everyone who steps into the ring is healthy," Allred said.

Morrison won the WBO title in 1993 after beating George Foreman on points. He lost it later that year. Morrison, who was featured in the movie "Rocky V," also served a couple of years in an Arkansas prison on drug and weapons charges.

He announced he had human immunodeficiency virus in February 1996 and his last fight occurred that November in Japan when he knocked out Marcus Rhode in the first round. After that fight he said he was trying to erase the fear of AIDS.

Morrison said Tuesday that he has taken several tests while preparing for his comeback and all have been negative for the virus.

He has signed a contract with boxing promoter Top Rank for at least eight fights this year.

"I have no doubt I'll be a better fighter than I ever was before," he said. "I am more relaxed. Something that comes along with age causes you to simmer a bit."

Morrison, who is 46-3-1, will face John Castle of Indianapolis in the four-round match, which is one of seven scheduled at Mountaineer. Castle's record is 4-2.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed."
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 02-21-2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: He just spent over a decade believing that he had HIV!!
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tommy Morrison misdiagnosed with HIV

Are you kidding me? That's a lawsuit and a half right there if I ever saw one.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

You want to assure people you don't have HIV, so you choose a state where they don't test your blood?.... Something ain't right there.....
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

I'm guessing this guy was involved somewhere in this process

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

So what took so long? It's been 11 years and he's just now announcing he doesn't have HIV. I mean the doctor said that he's "healthy". Can you be "healthy" and still have HIV? What definition of healthy are we using?

Good points RS1, Magic Johnson sure seems "healthy" too.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Well see it all really started with a misdiagnosis from Kremchek and then...
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Good points RS1, Magic Johnson sure seems "healthy" too.
    That's exactly who I was thinking of.

He's on Dan Patrick right now. He may not be HIV Postive, but I'm almost Positive he's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Well see it all really started with a misdiagnosis from Kremchek and then...
    Does this mean that Morrison is day to day but then tomorrow will be out for the rest of the year?

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    He's on Dan Patrick right now. He may not be HIV Postive, but I'm almost Positive he's crazy.
    that is one angry man
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

When Morrison said he was gonna praise God straight to the bank, I laughed so hard I thought I was gonna lose it for a second. Got stern looks from the boss.

Hmmm yeah why would you fight your FIRST fight since proclaiming your HIV-negative status in a state w/o mandatory blood testing? I sure as hell wouldn't be getting in the ring with him if I was a boxer or referee. Heck, I wouldn't want to be ringside or in the first several rows either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?