Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The few open spots

Re: The few open spots

The Reds are bringing just enough guys to camp(Crosby, Moeller, etc) that are a complete waste of a roster spot to make me uncomfortable.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    The Reds are bringing just enough guys to camp(Crosby, Moeller, etc) that are a complete waste of a roster spot to make me uncomfortable.
    Do they make you uncomfortable because you feel Jerry will be tempted to carry them on the active roster?

I really have no doubt in my mind at this stage that the Reds will continue to jerk Denorfia around in favor of crap like Bubba Crosby and either a) ruin his entire career, or b) force him into a late, Brady Clark-style, renaissance somewhere else.

I really hope I'm proven wrong and he gets a full and fair chance. With this manager, I can't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Do they make you uncomfortable because you feel Jerry will be tempted to carry them on the active roster?
    Absolutely. We know that Narron has a 3-catcher fetish, and we know that he will give the veteran the benefit of the doubt whenever possible. If the Reds carry five OFers, Hamilton is a lock, and the fifth spot is between Denorfia and "proven winner" Bubba Crosby, who do you think Narron is going to lobby for?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'd add:

EZ vs Saarloos vs Belisle vs Santos for the fifth starters spot. Saarloos probably has the edge, but not in talent. Santos is the darkhorse, but this spot should be EZ's to lose assuming he's healthy coming into camp.
    Everybody writes off Belisle because of doubts about his durability but he clearly has the best stuff of that group and the biggest upside. He should be the favorite and the Reds should pitch him till he poops...
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Everybody writes off Belisle because of doubts about his durability but he clearly has the best stuff of that group and the biggest upside. He should be the favorite and the Reds should pitch him till he poops...

In 2005 Saarloos -- in the AL -- pitched 160 innings with a 4.17 ERA. (Granted, last year he didn't do as well.)

Nobody else in the fifth starter race has had that kind of performance as a starter in their career.

As for Belisle, I've said it numerous times. He throws harder than some others, but so far I don't think he's ever become the pitcher he was originally projected to be before his back injury. Maybe he will be a late bloomer and prove me wrong. I hope so. But I think long relief is the likely place he'll be this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    well ... what if they play the game the "right way"?

Lots of quotes from lots of folks. Sorry about the loss of atributes.
    If Chris Denorfia doesnt make this team out of ST and Crosby does, I will have given up on management being capable of doing their jobs.
    You know it's kind of interesting. 100 games a year is a pretty low bar. Bubba Crosby has been healthy enough to play baseball for 100 games a season only a handfull of times in his career. My understanding was that Bucky Dent the reds bench coach had Crosby with the Yankees AAA team. My guess is that is why he is in the organization. I don't write any of that to excuse the reds. If it were up to me, dino is the centerfielder till he proves he isn't.

I would not be surprised to see Moeller make the squad as the 3rd catcher if Hamilton doesn't make it or gets injured.
    I will not be shocked if Moeller is the 3rd catcher even if Hamilton IS on the squad.

I really have no doubt in my mind at this stage that the Reds will continue to jerk Denorfia around ..and ...force him into a late, Brady Clark-style, renaissance somewhere else.
    Yup. That wouldn't shock me either. Hope it doesn't happen, but the reds have given very little indication that they really want Denorfia around.

Saarloos gets the starting spot. They aren't paying him 1.2M to pitch relief.
    Why not? there are several guys in the pen making that or more. I know he's been very vocal about wanting to be a starter and yeah, you need a fifth starter, but look at the splits for Saarloos as a reliever. Over his full career, he's been far more effective out of the pen. I still think he's as good a candidate for closer as anybody else on the staff.

That's pretty much what's happened the last couple of years. He's pooped. If he hasn't been healthy the last three years, why should they anticipate relying on him now? The Lizard should CLEARLY be the favorite of that group, but I think Narron has thrown him under the bus.
    Last edited by dfs; 02-21-2007 at 03:18 PM.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

well ... what if they play the game the "right way"?
    Does playing the game the right way include being unable to hit their weight (Crosby, Moeller)?

Why exactly is Bubba Crosby being held up as this example of veteran-ness like some grizzled old pro? He has exactly 106 more Major League at bats than Denorfia. He's not an entrenched old timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Why exactly is Bubba Crosby being held up as this example of veteran-ness like some grizzled old pro? He has exactly 106 more Major League at bats than Denorfia. He's not an entrenched old timer.
    He's 30 years old. That's my guess at least. FWIW, I didn't refer to him as a veteran anyway and I don't recall flyer doing so either.

I am hoping against hope that Hamilton is Jose Guillen part duex......

My darkhorse candidate for closer is Lohse. 94 mph and a good change up makes him almost a Trevor Hoffman clone.

I think maybe Freel is going to be traded in ST. The OF will likely start out Dunn, JR, and Hamilton. Deno is the 4th with a guy like Hopper the 5th.

Reds rotation will be Harang, Arroyo, Milton and Saarloos for the first month with Bailey joining as soon as they need a regular 5th starter.

I cannot see Cormier making the team....

Just my two cents.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Why exactly is Bubba Crosby being held up as this example of veteran-ness like some grizzled old pro?
    I hold him up as an example of worthlessness. Bringing him in might cause a person to see Crosby as something that is actually useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    In 2005 Saarloos -- in the AL -- pitched 160 innings with a 4.17 ERA. (Granted, last year he didn't do as well.)

Nobody else in the fifth starter race has had that kind of performance as a starter in their career.

As for Belisle, I've said it numerous times. He throws harder than some others, but so far I don't think he's ever become the pitcher he was originally projected to be before his back injury. Maybe he will be a late bloomer and prove me wrong. I hope so. But I think long relief is the likely place he'll be this year.
    In 2005 Saarloos had a 4.25 ERA as a starter. He pitched 157 innings as a starter. And he had one of the weirdest home/away splits I have ever seen.

On the road he was 6-4 with a 3.47 ERA, 5.09 at home. In a pitchers park. He gave up 11 HR's, 6 at home. Over all he's average through the first 15 pitches, great through the next 15, awful the next 15, great again the next 15, back to awful the next 30.

I honestly don't know what to make of the guy.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    and the Reds should pitch him till he poops...
    That would certainly be an interesting way for Belisle to differentiate himself from the pack. We've seen a lot of crappy pitching from the Reds staff in the past few years, but I think this might be taking it too far.

Turn Off Ads?