Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The few open spots

Re: The few open spots

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    I am hoping against hope that Hamilton is Jose Guillen part duex......

My darkhorse candidate for closer is Lohse. 94 mph and a good change up makes him almost a Trevor Hoffman clone.

I think maybe Freel is going to be traded in ST. The OF will likely start out Dunn, JR, and Hamilton. Deno is the 4th with a guy like Hopper the 5th.

Reds rotation will be Harang, Arroyo, Milton and Saarloos for the first month with Bailey joining as soon as they need a regular 5th starter.

I cannot see Cormier making the team....

Just my two cents.
    Hamilton starting? There is no shot. Can't even fathom Team Narron pulling that off.

2. Turn Off Ads?

With Narron saying he might carry only 11 pitchers -- which is unlikely -- it does leave open the possibility of an extra position player. I assume that would be Moeller, giving Jerry a third catcher. That way he could freely use Valentin as the main lefty pinch hitter.

In terms of spring competition, you would wonder about the bullpen. With only 6 relievers, Bray, Coffey, Weathers and Stanton are locks. You would think the team, with a short pen, would want the two long relievers to be multiple inning guys. This should help guys like Belisle secure a spot. It might hurt Cormier's chances.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If Chris Denorfia doesnt make this team out of ST and Crosby does, I will have given up on management being capable of doing their jobs.
    I completely agree.

There should be ZERO talk of should Chris Denorfia make the 25 man roster.

The discussion should continue to focus as to why he's not the everyday CF for the Reds.

How does it look after the first weekend of spring training games.

Assuming a 5-man bench, assuming Conine is healthy, I think 4 of the 5 slots are taken. Hamilton appears to be a lock, plus Castro, Conine and Valentin.

This leaves one slot for Deno, Crosby, Hopper, Bellhorn or Moeller. Keppinger now out of running with injury. Two open slots if Reds go with 11 hurlers.

I think Saarloos is a lock for a starting position. So the rotation is set unless Lohse is seriously hurt. If he is, I doubt the fill-in will be Bailey.

In the pen, the expected group of Weathers, Stanton, Bray, Coffey, Cormier, and Belisle seem on track so far. But Majewski is likely out so the door is open for another reliever. Seems to me that Salmon has the inside track so far, but have to watch Hermanson. Burton and Livingston seem to have an outside chance.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Hamilton starting? There is no shot. Can't even fathom Team Narron pulling that off.
    Get ready for it.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    How does it look after the first weekend of spring training games.

Assuming a 5-man bench, assuming Conine is healthy, I think 4 of the 5 slots are taken. Hamilton appears to be a lock, plus Castro, Conine and Valentin.

This leaves one slot for Deno, Crosby, Hopper, Bellhorn or Moeller. Keppinger now out of running with injury. Two open slots if Reds go with 11 hurlers.

I think Saarloos is a lock for a starting position. So the rotation is set unless Lohse is seriously hurt. If he is, I doubt the fill-in will be Bailey.

In the pen, the expected group of Weathers, Stanton, Bray, Coffey, Cormier, and Belisle seem on track so far. But Majewski is likely out so the door is open for another reliever. Seems to me that Salmon has the inside track so far, but have to watch Hermanson. Burton and Livingston seem to have an outside chance.
    1. I still think there is a good possibility that the Reds will acquire Hamilton's rights for nothing (ie as the PTBNL for Harris) or next to nothing (like a spare part that the Reds can't keep due some Roster restriction like Burton or Dumatrait). If so, he may go to AAA to get AB's while Moeller fills the spot and Javy is the LHPH.

2. I also think that Hamilton is a lock if TB shoots itself in the foot and insists on resisiting (because the Reds are not going to give him back IMO).

3. Deno should be a lock but I wonder.

4. Not sure what to make of Bellhorn. He is not a good defender at 2B and K's a lot. He doesn't seem to be WKs type. I prefer him as the RH 1B over Conine, but now that Conine is here and owed $2 Million, I don't see that as the choice. I can't see this team keeping him over others who project to have better defensive value. If he makes it over Deno I just won't know what to say.

5. Options are going to play into these choices. I'm still not sure where the Reds stand with options on Lizard, Belisle, Shack, Salmon, Livingston, etc.

6. I agree that the rotation looks set but I think Lizard is getting shafted. I'd rather have him than Milton, Lohse or Saarloos.

7. I still think some trades may develop. The Red have a lot of guys who will probably end-up with major league jobs somewhere who are on the bubble.

8. I think Lightenberg and Hermanson (and to a lesser degree Paul Wilson) are X-factors. Lightenberg is the best of the 3 IMO.

9. I think how Griffey is handled when he returns will tell a lot. I could realistically see him in RF with a RH/LH platoon in CF with Hamilton and either Freel or Deno. If Griffey is in CF, I have to think we'll see more of Conine in the OF and at least one of these guys will be moved somehow in a deal.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

There are a few open spots on the bench and bullpen. Wonder how it works out.

3. Moeller v. ? Does Moeller's value defensively (with Valentin primarily a pinch hitter) mean that Reds keep 3 catchers again and drop a different bench player? Could mean that all four of the above will be sent out.
    I just saw this in the Reds.com mailbag. The writer seemed to be in favor of Moeller making the roster.

Why do the Reds feel the need to carry three catchers? It is a waste of a roster spot. If you think about it, there are four catchers considering Scott Hatteberg came up as a catcher. -- Dean F, Loveland, Ohio

Certainly, Hatteberg could step up during an emergency. But he stopped catching long ago because he had a below-average throwing arm. Even he says his throws would get to second base...eventually.

If they carried a third catcher in Chad Moeller, which isn't a guarantee, the Reds would do it to get extra protection -- especially since No. 2 catcher Javier Valentin is their best pinch hitter from the left side. Without a third catcher, the bench would be exposed if Valentin had to bat and then David Ross got hurt later in the game. If a second lefty pinch-hitter or switch hitter makes the club (ie: Hamilton or Mark Bellhorn), the three-catcher situation might not be happening.

4. Hamilton v. ? If Hamilton has even a half-way decent spring, he stays. Somebody else loses a slot because of it, unless there is a trade for Hamilton's rights. In that case he can go to AAA for awhile.

I thought he had to stay on the major league roster or be released.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    4. Hamilton v. ? If Hamilton has even a half-way decent spring, he stays. Somebody else loses a slot because of it, unless there is a trade for Hamilton's rights. In that case he can go to AAA for awhile.

I thought he had to stay on the major league roster or be released.
    Unless he would happen to be the PTBNL in the trade with the D-Rays

At this point, I don't think the Reds want to send Hamiton down to AAA. Given his past problems, I think they want him with the support of the major league team and management. Frankly, right now, it is hard to see him not starting -- I know it is only spring, but his talent is unbelievable.

Seems to me that one option is for Freel, Griff and Hammy to share center and right field. Three guys for two positions. That doesn't always work -- the Reds have had some problems with such a rotation -- but Freel needs the occasional rest, Griffey certainly could use the rest, and Hammy hasn't been through a major league season yet so doesn't need to play every single day.

While Reds have made no cuts yet, interesting how things have developed. On pitching staff, seems that Burton, Livingston and Hermanson (wasn't here when thread started) are now serious candidates. Salmon, Shack and EZ perhaps not. Deno seems a long shot. Bellhorn, Crosby, Gil and Moeller seem to be stronger candidates than I expected earlier.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-12-2007 at 12:50 AM.

On pitching front seems like 11 spots are filled -- starting 4, Weathers, Stanton, Cormier, Belisle, Saarloos, Bray, Coffey. Belisle or Saarloos to be fifth starter.

Seems like one pitching spot open for Majewski, Hermanson, or Burton. Probably Maj to start on DL so my guess is that it is Burton vs. Hermanson. May depend on ability to trade for Burton's rights, so he can go to AAA.

That would mean Livingston, EZ, Salmon, Shack, would start off in AAA. (Wilson to be released, or sent down for more work.) Don't know if this works with options, etc., but it's what I expect.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-19-2007 at 08:33 AM.

On pitching front seems like 11 spots are filled -- starting 4, Weathers, Stanton, Cormier, Belisle, Saarloos, Bray, Coffey. Belisle or Saarloos to be fifth starter.

Seems like one pitching spot open for Majewski, Hermanson, or Burton. Probably Maj to start on DL so my guess is that it is Burton vs. Hermanson. May depend on ability to trade for Burton's rights, so he can go to AAA.

That would mean Livingston, EZ, Salmon, Shack, would start in AAA. Don't know if this works with options, etc., but it's what I expect.
    The Enquirer is reporting that even though no official announcement has been made, the feeling is that Hermanson is the closer.

I hope his velocity gets better.

Team needs a trade. No spot for Burton or even Majewski based on this.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

That's a joke really.

Is he Doug Jones circa 1992 for the Astros? He threw nothing but slow...slow and slower, yet would manage to have 1 year on...1 year off type closer seasons after he left CLE.

If the Reds lose Burton because of Cormier (who is NOT a good pitcher) I may just puke. In fact, I may start watching competitive eating instead.

This infatuation with guys over 38 (Weathers, Stanton, Cormier, Conine) is getting a little silly. And has Hermanson broken 84 on the gun yet?

oy flippin vey.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If the Reds lose Burton because of Cormier (who is NOT a good pitcher) I may just puke. In fact, I may start watching competitive eating instead.

This infatuation with guys over 38 (Weathers, Stanton, Cormier, Conine) is getting a little silly. And has Hermanson broken 84 on the gun yet?

oy flippin vey.
    I'm still holding out hope that Cormier is traded or the Reds work out a deal with Oakland to retain Burton's rights. I'd really like to see the Reds hang on to Burton.

Turn Off Ads?