Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The few open spots

Re: The few open spots

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    RE: 3 Catchers

I didn't read it as a definite, but rather, it's not out of the realm of possibility. I don't think it's necessarily the best, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
    I won't lose any sleep either. I've grown used to poor roster management.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Did he say it was a definite? The bench just got significantly weaker if that's the case.
    Krivsky just signed Moeller to a major league contract in the off-season. Not a split contract, mind you.

Here's what the Post reported on Saturday:
    "People keep harping on the three-catcher thing," Krivsky said. "But you'd better have a guy back there if that's the way you think your roster is suited best. You can't go through a whole season with just two catchers."

Even if one of those catchers isn't the best offensive player on the team - like Moeller - that's the roster Krivsky says he wants.
    Moeller said this in the pre-game on Saturday:

"I came here because Wayne said I'd get an opportunity to play. He said he's going to carry three catchers, and I want to be one of them."

Looks pretty cut and dried to me, unfortunately.
    Makes all the routine posts.

You know, it isn't even worth harping on anymore. It's poor roster management any way you slice it but it's what Wayne wants. The bench will be hamstrung again with 12 pitchers and 3 catchers on the 25 man.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    4. Hamilton v. ? If Hamilton has even a half-way decent spring, he stays. Somebody else loses a slot because of it, unless there is a trade for Hamilton's rights. In that case he can go to AAA for awhile.

I thought he had to stay on the major league roster or be released.
    He must be offered back to the D-Rays if that were to happen. The D-Rays would most certainly reclaim him if given the chance. So in this situation, the end result is the same.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

You know, it isn't even worth harping on anymore. It's poor roster management any way you slice it but it's what Wayne wants. The bench will be hamstrung again with 12 pitchers and 3 catchers on the 25 man.
    everybody better stay healthy because the Reds will have one of the worst benches in all of baseball

Castro, Conine, Hamilton, Moeller and Valentin.

little speed, marginal power. Sorry but Castro and Moeller bring nothing to the table.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    everybody better stay healthy because the Reds will have one of the worst benches in all of baseball

Castro, Conine, Hamilton, Moeller and Valentin.

little speed, marginal power. Sorry but Castro and Moeller bring nothing to the table.
    They supposedly bring good defense. There is little to no offense on that bench at all.

They supposedly bring good defense. There is little to no offense on that bench at all.
    which doesn't matter much when you play little. You need guys on the bench that can swing the bat.

Castro is nothing more than a caddy for EE.

which doesn't matter much when you play little. You need guys on the bench that can swing the bat.

Castro is nothing more than a caddy for EE.
    Castro and Conine will get quite a bit of playing time. Castro may not getting many at-bats though. I think we'll see him come into lots of games as EE's late inning defensive replacement.

I think we'll see him come into lots of games as EE's late inning defensive replacement.
    ... his caddy.

... his caddy.
    Yep. Although I can see Castro getting some starts as well. Any way you slice it, the bench is sizing up to be very weak.

OTOH, if you think that most teams have bench players with .800+ OPS' I'd have to disagree. I'd would prefer it if our bench was a little younger though.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    OTOH, if you think that most teams have bench players with .800+ OPS' I'd have to disagree. I'd would prefer it if our bench was a little younger though.
    I don't think that. I do think that good teams have a player or two with a little bit of punch on their bench though. I guess I could be wrong as I haven't really looked into it.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    but there is no purpose for Moeller. As a #3 catcher he will play little(Ross and Javy are getting the starts) and he is useless as a bat off the bench. If they want Castro for his glove and ability to play all the infield positions, then so be it. However, you can't make that argument for Moeller. If he is on the roster he is simply a card that allows them to play Javy as LH pinch hitter in games he doesn't start. That is a really crappy reason to carry a 3rd catcher.

If he is on the roster he is simply a card that allows them to play Javy as LH pinch hitter in games he doesn't start. That is a really crappy reason to carry a 3rd catcher.
    Particularly since Valentin's three-year splits as a pinch hitter are .193/.264/.337/.601 in 83 AB (zero doubles, zero triples, 19 strikeouts).
    Makes all the routine posts.

But he hits that home run every now and then

Any bench with Castro and Conine on it is bad, adding Moeller in is just extra crud on a crud sandwich.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?