Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The few open spots

Re: The few open spots

So now it is 5 guys for 2 spots. Hopper, Moeller, Burton, Coutlangus, and Santos for 2 spots. And since there are already 11 pitchers (4 starters, Belisle, Saarloos, Weathers, Stanton, Cormier, Coffey, Hermanson), of the five guys on the bubble, a max of one pitcher can be kept.

All this, of course, assumes no trades or surprise releases.

You'd have to think Burton has a big edge to stay because of Rule V. And because that adds up to 12 pitchers, the other spot goes to a position player, Hopper or Moeller. Since Hopper has been hurt, I'd guess Moeller.

Should be an interesting few days. Wonder if there will be a surprise or two.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If it happens I have a feeling that this year's 3 headed catcher won't last the whole year. Moeller is going to be terrible at the plate, about the same or worse than LaRue last year and he will be DFA'ed by July.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    So now it is 5 guys for 2 spots. Hopper, Moeller, Burton, Coutlangus, and Santos for 2 spots. And since there are already 11 pitchers (4 starters, Belisle, Saarloos, Weathers, Stanton, Cormier, Coffey, Hermanson), of the five guys on the bubble, a max of one pitcher can be kept.

All this, of course, assumes no trades or surprise releases.

You'd have to think Burton has a big edge to stay because of Rule V. And because that adds up to 12 pitchers, the other spot goes to a position player, Hopper or Moeller. Since Hopper has been hurt, I'd guess Moeller.

Should be an interesting few days. Wonder if there will be a surprise or two.
    They could buy time by sending the 5th starter down for a week or so allowing 2 pitchers to be kept. I think they need Santos more now in the first week than they will later when Bray, Maj and Ramirez are back, Salmon and Bailey have gotten more time to impress in AAA, Livingston is on a regular schedule etc. I say keep him now while he seems to be pitching well. He gives another arm to help with the short outings the first time through the rotation. Teams like Wash may need him and if the Reds keep him they may be able to trade him for something rather than lose him for nothing.

If they don't keep him now, I see too many guys ahead of him for him to get a shot later. The way he's pitched, he shouldn't accept an assingment to the minors. Some team in need will give him a major league shot. If not, he'll at least be closer to the front of the line somewhere else.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

So now the position players are set with Moeller getting the last spot. Due to injuries, hard to know whether Reds always intended three catchers, but hopefully this will give Valentin a lot of pinch hit at bats and he will capitalize.

So now there are two pitchers too many. Burton looks in, based on Narron's comments in pre-game show. So that leaves Coutlangus and Santos as the likely cuts. But . . .

Milton, Cormier and (after today's bad outing) Hermanson are possibly question marks. Milton could go on DL. Cormier could be traded. Hermanson, I guess, is safe but sounded pretty shaky today. Not saying Hermanson should be cut, but does he need some rehab time at AAA?

So you have to wonder if, somehow, Coutlangus and Santos (or one of them) will go north with one or two of the expected staff departing, permanentl or temporarily. We will know very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    but there is no purpose for Moeller. As a #3 catcher he will play little(Ross and Javy are getting the starts) and he is useless as a bat off the bench. If they want Castro for his glove and ability to play all the infield positions, then so be it. However, you can't make that argument for Moeller. If he is on the roster he is simply a card that allows them to play Javy as LH pinch hitter in games he doesn't start. That is a really crappy reason to carry a 3rd catcher.
    Pretty good chance that Moeller is the single most worthless player in Major League Baseball this season.

That is, if it isn't Milton or Castro.

Turn Off Ads?