Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The good things about Jerry Narron

The good things about Jerry Narron

I know that Narron makes some decisions that at times leave us scratching our heads or throwing things at our tv from time to time, but I'd like for this thread to focus on the positive, what are the things about Narron that you like?

- He has the respect of his players in a way that Miley, Boone, and Knight before him didn't seem to have.

- He seems to be good at relating to both the young players and the veterans.

- He makes sure that everyone remains fresh and gets plenty of playing time.

I have to think that for the makeup of this roster, Narron seems to be the right man to lead this ship right now. You won't find a manager in MLB that won't make decisions that frustrate and irritate from time to time, but it's hard to find a manager who can seemingly get his players to excel above and beyond their projected abilities as consistently as Narron has seemed able to do.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The good things about Jerry Narron

LOL, okay, so I'm the only one who likes Narron. :
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I like Jerry Narron. I think he is a good guy. I'm just not completely sold on his managing abilities. I do like him a lot more than Knight, McKeon, or Miley. I think he is a work in progress. I wish him the very best.

I like that he's level-headed and doesn't run down his players in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    LOL, okay, so I'm the only one who likes Narron. :
    No, I like him too and the more I hear him expound on players and their abilities, the more I like him. He's hard to listen to in his interviews with Marty, but that might just be the format. When I heard him at Redsfest, he was very articulate about the team.

I think I shared this here, but last summer when my son and I were in Milwaukee checking out Marquette, we went to see the Reds play the Brewers (one of Milton's best games that night - he was scrappy!). We got there early and were watching BP wrapping up. Narron was walking in to the dugout and I told him he was doing a good job. At first it seemed to jar him (I can only imagine the abuse fans must dish out at games) and he smiled and said, "thanks".

I'm anxious to see what he can do this year.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 02-21-2007 at 01:35 PM.

I think he has is a very humble guy unlike Boone and Knight were. I think this will help him become a better manager one day because he doesn't have the attitude that he invented the game and there is nothing more he can learn about the game .
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I greatly disagree with this part. I think he has no idea how to manage young players. I like what he is doing with Josh Hamilton, but I think that is only because he is a family friend basically. He has never been known to give much additional attention to any young players like this. The way he managed EdE last year was crime.

I love to listen to him talk in that native North Carolina drawl. Then again, I've been accused of having a little "drawl" myself.

- He has the respect of his players in a way that Miley, Boone, and Knight before him didn't seem to have.
    He's just a Barcalounger away from all heck breaking loose!
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I love to listen to him talk in that native North Carolina drawl. Then again, I've been accused of having a little "drawl" myself.
    Gary Burbank on WLW does a drop dead impersonation of JN in "The Reds and the Restless".
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I like that he's level-headed and doesn't run down his players in the media.

That's what I like about him too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    The way he managed EdE last year was crime.
    That's a matter of opinion. I happen to think how he handled EE helped him in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    That's a matter of opinion. I happen to think how he handled EE helped him in the long run.
    I feel that way too, and I hope that the numbers EE puts up this season will show that.

I think woy likes the way the sunshine plays upon his hair.
    :
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I know that Narron makes some decisions that at times leave us scratching our heads or throwing things at our tv from time to time, but I'd like for this thread to focus on the positive, what are the things about Narron that you like?

- He makes sure that everyone remains fresh and gets plenty of playing time.

I have to think that for the makeup of this roster, Narron seems to be the right man to lead this ship right now. You won't find a manager in MLB that won't make decisions that frustrate and irritate from time to time, but it's hard to find a manager who can seemingly get his players to excel above and beyond their projected abilities as consistently as Narron has seemed able to do.
    I think he is one of the worst managers in baseball. He did not handle the EE situation correct last year. When you have a young star you need to play him every day and not bench him because of an error.

I dont know if I really want a manager who is real chummy with the players. He is more of a players manager and I dont know if he truly has the respect of his players. He hasn't done anything with the Jr. sitaution even when moving him to right and droping him out of the 3 hole would make the team better.

Turn Off Ads?