Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rawlings All-Time Gold Glove Team

Re: Rawlings All-Time Gold Glove Team

I'm surprised Devon White isn't getting more love. IIRC, back in the late '80s and early '90s it was being argued by both the seamheads and the statheads that he might be the best defensive OF ever.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm surprised Devon White isn't getting more love. IIRC, back in the late '80s and early '90s it was being argued by both the seamheads and the statheads that he might be the best defensive OF ever.
    I liked Dwayne Murphy more myself.

So many great defensive outfielders aren't as widely known which is the case with both White and Murphy. Gary Pettis, Rick Manning and Ken Berry might be on the list of unknown glove guys as well.

I'm going to go with the guys I watched the most. Then Runner Ups

RF - Kaline/Evans
    CF - Blair/Eddie Milner
    LF - Bonds/Henderson
    3rd - Brooks Robinson/Aurlio Rodriguez
    SS - Ozzie/Brinkman
    2nd - Alomar/Morgan
    1st - Hernandez/Joyner
    C - Bench/Pudge
    P - Maddux/Hampton

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm going to go with the guys I watched the most. Then Runner Ups

RF - Kaline/Evans
    CF - Blair/Eddie Milner
    LF - Bonds/Henderson
    3rd - Brooks Robinson/Aurlio Rodriguez
    SS - Ozzie/Brinkman
    2nd - Alomar/Morgan
    1st - Hernandez/Joyner
    C - Bench/Pudge
    P - Maddux/Hampton
    The OF is really tough for me.

I thought about Evans but really like Ichiro and almost felt obligated to pick Clemente. I only know Kaline by reputation, I just didn't see him much back then.

Eddie Milner is a surprise. In CF I had something similar to RF. I felt obligated towards Mays, but what I always remember is Paul Blair and Garry Maddox being the best. If I was going to go for a Red I would have taken Geronimo over Milner.

Hard to argue with Bonds and Henderson in LF. Only Joe Rudi and Yaz are even in the conversation IMO.

I always thought Lind was better for pure defense than Alomar and again a nod to the consensus for Mazeroski. (Pokey Reese for a year or two might make the list as well.)

Eddie Brinkman was very good, but he didn't have Concepcion's range IMO.

Threads like these are fun.

Eddie Brinkman was very good, but he didn't have Concepcion's range IMO.
    He was lot like McMillian from what I gather, steady as they go 24/7 52 weeks a year he and Rodriguez and Coleman for McLain... now that's a haul.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So many great defensive outfielders aren't as widely known which is the case with both White and Murphy. Gary Pettis, Rick Manning and Ken Berry might be on the list of unknown glove guys as well.
    White chased Pettis out of a CF job and off the Angels' roster. The Angels wanted to keep both of them, but Pettis supposedly couldn't deal with being a LF (that White would be the CF was never in question).

His catch in Game 3 of the '92 World Series is also the greatest OF play I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I thought about Evans but really like Ichiro and almost felt obligated to pick Clemente. I only know Kaline by reputation, I just didn't see him much back then.
    Unfortunately defensive statistics for that time period are highly unreliable - and even a bit unreliable for today's fielders - but I've heard several people claim that they believe Al Kaline was a greater defensive right fielder than Clemente. Both played well before my time so I never saw them and really can only speculate based on contemporary opinion, however, I do believe Al Kaline seems to be one of the most underrated players in history, both offensively and defensively.

I also remember watching Devon White's catch in the 1992 World Series, but being 10-years-old the magnitude of how great that catch really was just flew right by me.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Kaat, Bench, Parker, Maz, Brooksie, Ozzie, Mays, Maddux, Kaline.

Although he idea of either Mays or Maddux playing a corner OF is pretty odd.

Someone should start a thread of "Iron Gloves"- the worst fielders ever. My list would start with Jeff Burroughs.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Your All-Time Rawlings Gold Glove Team
    Pitcher:Kaat, Jim
    Catcher:Bench, Johnny
    First Base:Hernandez, Keith
    Second Base:Alomar, Roberto
    Third Base:Robinson, Brooks
    Shortstop:Smith, Ozzie
    Outfield:Clemente, Roberto
    Outfield:Griffey Jr., Ken
    Outfield:Suzuki, Ichiro

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I tried to stick with guys i actually saw play, but had to make a couple exceptions (Mays, Clemente)

Pitcher: Kaat, Jim
    Catcher: Bench, Johnny
    First Base: Mattingly, Don
    Second Base: Morgan, Joe
    Third Base: Robinson, Brooks
    Shortstop: Belanger, Mark
    Outfield: Clemente, Roberto
    Outfield: Mays, Willie
    Outfield: Winfield, Dave
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    White chased Pettis out of a CF job and off the Angels' roster. The Angels wanted to keep both of them, but Pettis supposedly couldn't deal with being a LF (that White would be the CF was never in question).

His catch in Game 3 of the '92 World Series is also the greatest OF play I've ever seen.
    Is it the one in this clip? About 1:38 in.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qoc7iQHuNQY
    I was young during this series but sort of remember it, I couldn't find one that followed the ball from the bat so I can't really tell how hard it was hit.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    II was young during this series but sort of remember it, I couldn't find one that followed the ball from the bat so I can't really tell how hard it was hit.
    That's the catch, but that shot of it hardly does it justice. The ball was a rocket and White broke on contact. The baserunners also took off, figuring no human could ever hope to reach that ball before it reached the wall. The 3B coach got the attention of the runner on second (Deion) and held him up, but the guy on first passed (Pendleton) him. Deion then got a fortunate call in getting out of a rundown (he was tagged, but the ump didn't see it) to avoid a triple play.

The real-time wide view of it is staggering (unfortunatley I can't find it anywhere online). The ground White covered in such a short of time just drops your jaw. You also can't tell from the slo-mo shot there, but even though he dumped some speed at the end, he was still moving at a good clip when he hit the wall. I maintain White's the only CF in history who could have made that play.

Turn Off Ads?