Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tips on Baseball Prospectus

Tips on Baseball Prospectus

I just joined BP because I got tired of only reading the teaser part of the articles on my RSS feed.

I am doinking around checking out the deeper bowels of the site but any tips from the BP pros on features that maybe not as readily obvious?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tips on Baseball Prospectus

If you're a diehard the podcasts on BP Radio are pretty interesting sometimes.

It took me a while to discover unfiltered as well but I think it is not as hidden as it was.

I like the customizable (if that is a word) stat downloads the most but I still am learning what they all mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I just joined BP because I got tired of only reading the teaser part of the articles on my RSS feed.

I am doinking around checking out the deeper bowels of the site but any tips from the BP pros on features that maybe not as readily obvious?
    First, ignore WARP and BP's defensive rating altogether (a major reason their WARP can't be taken seriously).

Next, get thee to those Pecota cards! :-) There's search link up top right that takes you to them.

Also, play around with their statistics link up top. It will take you to their advanced metrics and general ones like run expectancy tables ect. The search functions with these are pretty powerful and it wont be long before you figure out how to utilize/manipulate their database to answer your specific questions.

You'll find some frustrating quirks like pecota cards have BABIP data but looking up the same player's DT card, it's not there. But that's just a pet peeve more than a problem. Also they can be a bit proprietary with their recipes so you might find yourself a frustrated cook at times.

Also I like to search the article archives by the column.

really there aren't many secrets....it just takes a little time to learn their language (apparently WARP3 really isn't describing space travel) and appreciate some of their biases...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

Steve Goldman for History

Goldstein for Minors

JIm Baker for Stats and History

Will Carroll for Injuries

Karhl for Transactions.

------------------------

Go to the search page and search your heart out, one god thing about BP is they have a robust indexing system and are constantly upgrading their information channels

A few people have commented that BP is touchy about posting content from premium subscriptions.

Beyond the ovbious, (ie. anything from the premium side) is there anything they really don't like to get posted on RZ, or is it pretty much anything from the premium side?

Basically, what should and shouldn't I post from BP? I don't want to get RZ in trouble in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Next, get thee to those Pecota cards! :-) There's search link up top right that takes you to them.
    Man. When I was collecting baseball cards in my youth, I had at least 10 Pecota cards.

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

One thing that honks me off is that they don't let you access past Pecota weighted means.... I've got '07 and '06 but my earlier excell files have been deleted (who knew I'd want them again?). Unfortunately, there's no way to get them back via BP's website...

BP=baseball proprietary.... it's a minor irritation at times....
    Last edited by jojo; 02-23-2007 at 11:43 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Man. When I was collecting baseball cards in my youth, I had at least 10 Pecota cards.

I used to think he was the one doing all those stat projections.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    One thing that honks me off is that they don't let you access past Pecota weighted mean.... I've got '-7 and '06 but my earliar excell files have been deleted (who knew I'd want them again?). Unfortunately, there's no way to get them back via BP's website...

BP=baseball proprietary.... it's a minor irritation at times....
    Here's 2004 and 2005 in a zip file

www.deadballart.com/redszone/pecota.zip

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Here's 2004 and 2005 in a zip file

www.deadballart.com/redszone/pecota.zip
    Thank you!!! That made my day....

Turn Off Ads?