Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got to love the mind of the professional ballplayer

Got to love the mind of the professional ballplayer

So I just saw a report that Geoff Jenkins want's to be traded rather than be platooned with Kevin Mench.

This is the same Geoff Jenkins with a .723 career OPS vs. LHPs, compared to .892 vs. RHPs.

This is the same Geoff Jenkins who posted a .479 OPS vs. southpaws last season. Clearly he's insane.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Got to love the mind of the professional ballplayer

That will make a pretty nice platoon though.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

And here I thought Mench was the one with the big head.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    And here I thought Mench was the one with the big head.
    touche!
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

For those who like batting average, Jenkins hit .133 against lefties last year. I have a hunch that most teams would plan on platooning him in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    For those who like batting average, Jenkins hit .133 against lefties last year. I have a hunch that most teams would plan on platooning him in 2007.
    I imagine the Brewers will come back to him in another day or two and tell him that none of the other 29 teams in MLB want to play him vs. LHPs either.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Here's an interesting quote from Jenkins on the issue:

"I'll always make sacrifices for the team," said Jenkins, 32. "If that makes us a better team, that's what you need to do. When Carlos got here, I gave up left for him to play. Now, I'm giving up right for Corey or whoever else."

As for those who say he can't hit lefties, Jenkins referred to his .256 career average against them before 2006.

"It was just one of those years," he said. "Sometimes you can't explain why things happen. For eight years, I hit them, and for one I didn't. I'll take that ratio. Unfortunately, the one I didn't was last year, so that's why everyone's all of a sudden, 'Let's platoon.'

He should feel lucky that he is the LH batter in the platoon.

Why is it hard for people to understand and comprehend the "mind" of an athlete when it comes to playing the game, and approach it from such an impersonal manner? What is Jenkins suppose to do? Get a subscription to Baseball Prospectus and consistently do a statistical analysis on his personal resume? - track his OPS, OB%, P/PA, BB/K, and RC27, and then go to the coach and cut his own throat? It ain't gonna happen.

The guy is an athlete, and he's being called "insane" for fighting for his job and livelihood?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

You don't need a subscription to BP to know Jenkins can't hit lefties. Trust me, he knows that better than any of us. And GAC, aren't you the one who started the thread the other about Mariano River's whining? Here we have another player who is publicly whining and asking for a trade because the the team who pays him a lot of money decided they'd prefer someone other than him hit the lefties they face this year. I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference there, Greg.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Here's an interesting quote from Jenkins on the issue:
    As for those who say he can't hit lefties, Jenkins referred to his .256 career average against them before 2006.
    Because you gots to play a .256 hitter. Does Jenkins realize he's making an argument for inventing time travel so that Milwaukee management could go back in time and prevent him from ever facing a lefty?
    Last edited by M2; 02-21-2007 at 10:17 PM.

What competitor doesn't want to play full time instead of sitting on the bench? I don't see the problem here. I'd rather have guys who want to play than ones that are content with not being able to.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    You don't need a subscription to BP to know Jenkins can't hit lefties. Trust me, he knows that better than any of us. And GAC, aren't you the one who started the thread the other about Mariano River's whining? Here we have another player who is publicly whining and asking for a trade because the the team who pays him a lot of money decided they'd prefer someone other than him hit the lefties they face this year. I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference there, Greg.
    There is a big difference between a ballplayer who makes 10 Mil/year Mike and is equating more money with respect, to that of a ballplayer who isn't asking for more money, but wants to start and is fighting for/defending his job.

Put yourself in Jenkins shoes, or any ballplayer, for that matter. What would you do?
    Last edited by GAC; 02-22-2007 at 08:43 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    What competitor doesn't want to play full time instead of sitting on the bench? I don't see the problem here. I'd rather have guys who want to play than ones that are content with not being able to.
    I agree with that, but Jenkins has gone a wee bit past it, hasn't he? He's demanding a trade if the Brewers won't play him everyday. If all he did was say he'd still like to play everyday that would be one thing. Instead he's turned it into high drama.

I understand that Jenkins can't afford to allow the mindset that he can't hit lefties (though he's never been very good at it), but insisting that he be sent out of town if someone else is superior at (and Mench is) is patently childish.

I'm a big fan of self-awareness. Know what you can do, and know what you can't.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?