Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hot Stove League show report

Hot Stove League show report

Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 2-21-07. Only a half hour show tonight because of UC hoops. Marty said the first whole squad workout will begin at 12:30 on Thursday. All the position players are in camp with the exception of Gonzo. (He must have walked to the plane and was left behind.) A week from tomorrow, Marty and Thom will be broadcasting the 1st ST game against the Pirates at Bradenton. He also said they will broadcast 3 of the 4 games over the weekend.

After commercial, Marty pimped season tickets. The first caller said that his thoughts were with Joe. Marty said he was released yesterday and came to the ballpark for a while. He had chemo treatments yesterday and today. Marty said he's upbeat and positive and he's scheduled to work a game with Marty a week from Sunday. Marty thinks Joe spending time at the ballpark is great therapy.

The next caller asked about Paul Wilson and his chances for a comeback. Marty said he believes Paul's a long shot to make the team. Marty was talking to Jerry and Paul's name came up and Marty believes Paul will get a chance to prove or disprove that he can get big league hitters out (Hopefully that will be who he's pitching against). Marty said that he thinks the Reds feel they owed it to him to try to attempt a comeback and he never saw a guy work harder to come back than Paul. Marty thinks if Paul would have half-assed his rehab last year the Reds would not have brought him back. The caller asked if it made sense to put him in the bullpen. Marty said that isn't a good idea because of the limited time reievers have to warm up. The caller said that Marty really knows what he's talking about. Marty said if he doesn't, he'll make them think he does. (Not too hard with most of this bunch that calls in.)

The next caller asked Marty how the Reds will do. Marty said it's a bit early to tell and said that he didn't think the Reds did as much as they could have to improve. He then gave his usual spiel on how the Central was still winnable i.e. Cubs are crazy, Brewers improved, Homer's the wild card, etc. The caller agreed (natch) and asked if Jr. would be moved to RF. Marty said it will be interesting to see where Jr. plays on Opening Day.

After commercial, Marty pimped Chris Welch's Curveball Camp. The next caller asked if it looked like Jr. and Dunn had worked out over the winter. Marty said he'd seen Jr. a number of times and he looks fine. Marty hadn't seen Dunn but he talked to Jerry who said that Dunn looks like he's in great shape and he was on a serious physical regimen all winter to get into the best shape he could be and if that's true it's welcome news. Marty said they will take it a little slow with Jr.'s hand but by the time the games start next week he should be ready to go. The caller said that he was talking about Jr.'s weight cause he always looks like he's carrying about 20 extra lbs. Marty agreed and said that in the past that neither Jr. nor Dunn were in the best shape they could be in. The caller asked Marty if he asked Wayne about Steve Finley. Marty said he's given up on that. He talked to Jerry about it today and he's yet to get a straight answer other than that Jerry said that he heard Finley wants to play on the west coast. Marty feels beggars can't be choosers. Marty said he's stated his case and no one listens to him (Thank God!)

The next caller asked Marty about Roger Clemens' situation. Marty said it's an unusual situation but the club doesn't mind and the players don't mind because of the success he's had. The caller thinks it might upset the flow of the clubhouse and Marty said it never bothered the Astros a bit.

The next caller asked when the games were going to be broadcast next week. Marty said 1 on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

The next caller asked about Jr's hand. Marty asked the caller if he was listening to the program. Marty said Jr's hand is fine and the only problem may be that the hand may not be as strong as normal. The caller asked if Jr. was (and I'm not making this up) working out with the other hand too. Marty said the other hand was fine. The caller asked how Paul Wilson was looking. Marty said no one has thrown yet so he didn't know.

Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 2-21-07. So let it be written. So let it be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hot Stove League show report

Thanks alot Chip..........Wouldnt it be great if someone asked a decent question once in a while....no wonder Marty gets surly.
    Let's play two!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    Thanks alot Chip..........Wouldnt it be great if someone asked a decent question once in a while....no wonder Marty gets surly.
    Someone could always call up and ask him if he has his shirt on.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

The phrase "marty pimped" two times in one post is a little much for me, Chip.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

There are some companies I do business with that I often think the first question on their job applications is "Are you an idiot?" and if they answer yes, they're hired on the spot.

I wonder if that's the first screening question on this show and when it's affirmative, they get through.

You da man Chip. Thanks again.

I very much hope for Marty's sake that Steve Finley doesn't end up signing with the Cubs. It would break his heart.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I very much hope for Marty's sake that Steve Finley doesn't end up signing with the Cubs. It would break his heart.
    Imagine if he signed with the Cards.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Imagine if he signed with the Cards.
    What an old outfield that could be !!
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

That wouldn't do it. Now if he signed with the Nats....
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Originally posted by Crosley68
    I have always felt the same way. But it finally occured too me that Redszone is where all the smart Reds fans go, and we already have all the answers. So who does that leave to call into the Banana Phone?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The last guy killed me, he asked about Jr, and then Paul Wilson. Marty was obviously miffed, because he had already talked about both of them. Could someone (paging matt700wlw) please make sure they screen the Hot Stove League Show?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The last guy killed me, he asked about Jr, and then Paul Wilson. Marty was obviously miffed, because he had already talked about both of them. Could someone (paging matt700wlw) please make sure they screen the Hot Stove League Show?

When the guy asked if Jr. was exercising his other hand, I lost it.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    When the guy asked if Jr. was exercising his other hand, I lost it.
    Yeah Chip, I forgot about that until just now, and you just made me bust out laughing. Maybe Redszone should flood the phonelines next week. Imagine Marty's head exploding while cyclone explains Vorp!
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?