Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds still interested in Mercker

Reds still interested in Mercker

I was just about ready to start a thread asking if anyone knew what was happening with Mercker but I found this.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...20407/1071/SPT

SARASOTA, Fla. - Left-hander Kent Mercker talked at Redsfest as if he would be in camp with the Reds this spring.

That hasn't happened yet, but it still might.

"We had some conversations with his agent," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "We haven't been able to get it done."

"We'd like to have him here."

Time isn't a huge factor in the case of Mercker because he is coming off Tommy John surgery. He had the operation Aug. 17. Eddie Guardado had the same surgery two days later.

Guardado is in camp and talking about pitching in mid-to-late June. Mercker would be on a similar timetable.

"I'm sure he's continuing with his rehab in Columbus," Krivsky said. "He wants to continue his career. We're at an impasse right now."

Mercker could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Mercker's agent is Casey Close, who also represents free agent Dustin Hermanson. The Reds have talked about signing Hermanson.

Krivsky had no comment on the possibility of signing Hermanson.

TICKET POLICY: The Reds announced their Opening Day ticket policy Wednesday:

Saturday will be Select-A-Seat Day. It's the last day to guarantee tickets for the April 2 opener against the Chicago Cubs by purchasing a season-ticket package. From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. fans can choose seats at Great American Ball Park. Reds Hall of Famer Tom Browning will greet fans from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Eleven-game Power Pack deals will go on sale March 3 at 9 a.m. They are available only on line at reds.com. They range in price from $92 to $257.

Fans can register online March 5-6 at reds.com for the chance to purchase Opening Day tickets, including standing room, if any remain available after the sale of Power Packs.

Regular-season tickets, with the exception of Opening Day, will go on sale March 10 at 9 a.m. They can be purchased by phone at 513-381-REDS or 877-647-REDS, at reds.com or in person at the Great American Ball Park ticket windows and at all area Meijer stores.

CHANCES ARE: The Reds have 29 pitchers in camp. Everyone's got a chance to make it, right? Sort of.

"I told all these pitchers the very first day they were here: I'm sorry to say that everyone does not get the same opportunity," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "I'm not going to lie and say everybody's going to get the same chance because you're not. Everyone is not going to get the same opportunity, but they are going to get an opportunity. If they do well, they're going to go back out there."

NO. 1 TO 5? Among the nine non-roster pitchers is Paul Wilson.

Wilson spent all of last year rehabbing from shoulder surgery, and his velocity seems to be up some. He's in the mix with a lot of others for the fifth starter spot.

"If he can make it back, it means our No. 1 starter from a few years ago is our No. 5," Narron said.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds still interested in Mercker

Yep, more bullpen help. Never have enough.

another injured over-the-hill pitcher. Bring him on.

The 2007 Reds bullpen: sponsored by Furr's Cafeteria, Medicalert, and "Matlock" reruns on the Superstation.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Gary Redus Ruled

Good lord Krivs....give it a rest.
    Hoping for another Reds October

Geez, this is getting ridiculous. I'd have surgery on my elbow and email a pic to WK in hopes of catching on with the club but I'm 32 so I'm a little too young.

Do you think the Reds would be interested in Bob Owchinko?

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    Do you think the Reds would be interested in Bob Owchinko?
    Perhaps, but I'm sure they're interested in his batterymate, Brad Gulden.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Gary Redus Ruled

Im thinking being a 39 yr old southpaw who has recovered from a shattered elbow last year that Krivs digs me! Where is my invite?
    Hoping for another Reds October

Would Mercker demand a TV in the bullpen so he wouldn't have to miss any episodes of Murder, She Wrote?

I think we're trying to be the first team to field a bullpen entirely made up of guys who have had Tommy John surgery. Just to give hope to the other guys around the league that have had the surgery to say "see, you can do it too". Kind of like a public service.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Would Mercker demand a TV in the bullpen so he wouldn't have to miss any episodes of Murder, She Wrote?
    Murder she wrote is for women, Matlock is where the action is.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?