Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

I just realized that I left out Aguas de Marco by Antonio Carlos Jobim. Thanks itunes.

It's beloved enough that I couldn't let it slide.

edit: oh my god this makes me so happy --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujBsMXZ_sso
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 03-11-2007 at 10:35 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I just realized that I left out Aguas de Marco by Antonio Carlos Jobim. Thanks itunes.

It's beloved enough that I couldn't let it slide.

edit: oh my god this makes me so happy --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujBsMXZ_sso
    OMG. Memories of Sergio Mendes and his Brasil 66!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    OMG. Memories of Sergio Mendes and his Brasil 66!
    I have this record and I LOVE it:

it has a cover of Day Tripper of which I'm particularly fond, as that may be my favorite Beatles song.

If there's any great life lesson I've learned from bad break-ups, it's that you can amass a fabulous record collection if you play your cards right.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I have this record and I LOVE it:

it has a cover of Day Tripper of which I'm particularly fond, as that may be my favorite Beatles song.

If there's any great life lesson I've learned from bad break-ups, it's that you can amass a fabulous record collection if you play your cards right.
    I have that album. I have all my dad's 60's stuff. I like me some Jobim too. Bossa Nova is way cool.

You ever listen to any Serge Gainsburg?

If you like this kind of stuff you may want to check out Amadou & Mariam.

http://www.amadou-mariam.com/

they're way cool.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I have that album. I have all my dad's 60's stuff. I like me some Jobim too. Bossa Nova is way cool.

You ever listen to any Serge Gainsburg?

If you like this kind of stuff you may want to check out Amadou & Mariam.

http://www.amadou-mariam.com/

they're way cool.
    Hey thanks Pedro! I do like all those Frenchies actually, but I'm not familiar with these folk. I'll check it out.

I didn't know Abe Lincoln was in a band.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I didn't know Abe Lincoln was in a band.
    His supposed murder by John Wilkes Booth was really just a way to give Abe cover to assume a new identity and career.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

The album cover with its reference to Herb Alpert "presenting" Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 reminded me of the current issue of American Heritage and its article about "The Wrecking Crew" of L.A. area musicians who played on many of the most famous pop albums of the 1960s. One member of "The Wrecking Crew", Glen Campbell, later made it as a solo artist, but most remain relatively unknown.
    Anyway, according to the article, the album released by Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass, "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" (the one with the model who appears to be covered in whipped cream on the cover), while it did feature Alpert, all the other musicians on the recording were members of "The Wrecking Crew," not the Tijuana Brass. Oh, by the way, the model was actually covered in shaving cream, not whipped cream, and was several months pregnant at the time of the photo ( I have no information as to whether or not "The Wrecking Crew" contributed to that feature).
    When The Beach Boys recorded "Good Vibrations" for their seminal "Pet Sounds" album, Brian Wilson was in the control room, but no other Beach Boy was around--it is "The Wrecking Crew" playing the instruments on that recording.
    When The Byrds recorded "Mr. Tambourine Man," Byrd Roger McGuinn was on his Rickenbacker electric 12-string; the other musicians were "The Wrecking Crew."
    While The Mamas and the Papas supplied the vocals, "The Wrecking Crew" are the musicians on "Monday, Monday" and "California Dreamin."
    Similarly, while The Association did the singing on songs such as "Windy" and "Never My Love," they were never on the intrumental parts of those recordings-it was "The Wrecking Crew."
    The Fifth Dimension sang "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In"-they let "The Wrecking Crew" in to play the instruments on the record.
    "The Wrecking Crew" walked over in their boots to play for Nancy Sinatra's "Boots" LP.
    The Monkees took a lot of grief when it was revealed that they had merely performed the vocals on their first two albums, with "The Wrecking Crew" playing all the instruments, but it turns out that The Monkees were simply following a common practice at the time.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 03-14-2007 at 06:53 AM. Reason: corrected a few typos-I'm sure there are more

current issue of American Heritage and its article about "The Wrecking Crew" of L.A. area musicians who played on many of the most famous pop albums of the 1960s.
    When did you get that?

My subscription is spotty and sometimes I wonder if it's ever going to come.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    When did you get that?

My subscription is spotty and sometimes I wonder if it's ever going to come.
    I got it several weeks ago. It is the Faeb./March issue. The article is also currently available on American Heritage's web site.
    I always knew that Brian Wilson was the genius behind the Beach Boys but I also had naively assumed that the other 'Boys at least played on the records. Apparently they sang but that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I got it several weeks ago. It is the Faeb./March issue. The article is also currently available on American Heritage's web site.
    I always knew that Brian Wilson was the genius behind the Beach Boys but I also had naively assumed that the other 'Boys at least played on the records. Apparently they sang but that was it.
    Yeah, they used to get peeved when they went to the studio and Brian told them everything was already done, except for the vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    man they could sing though. as Tom Petty says "Carl had the voice of Angels"
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    "Carl had the voice of Angels"
    God only knows.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    God only knows.
    amen...heard a piece on Bob Edwards' weekend..interview w/ author of the new book about Brian Wilson. He also has a new album coming out sometime soon.

Evidently, he was 'taken' by music at 3 when listening to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue..Four Freshmen were harmonizing influence.

He can Smile again.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    amen...heard a piece on Bob Edwards' weekend..interview w/ author of the new book about Brian Wilson. He also has a new album coming out sometime soon.

Evidently, he was 'taken' by music at 3 when listening to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue..Four Freshmen were harmonizing influence.

He can Smile again.
    He lives in Indy.

Turn Off Ads?