Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

Re: Your Top 10 All-Time favorite songs

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I love me some Smiths.
    Oh yeah.

The Queen is Dead is an amazing record, sounds like it could have been recorded last week.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I also should have "Tom Courtney" by Yo La Tengo in there.
    School's out. What did you expect?

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    "Better Be Home Soon" Crowded House
    Was given very serious consideration for my list as well. Great choice.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

High five!

Howdy

I like all sorts of stuff but I'm more of a Jazz / R&B guy. If you're talking "songs", these are ones I always come back to.

"I Mean You" - Thelonious Monk (really typifies Monk's approach to writing)
    "Stella by Starlight" - Washington/Young (just a great melody, I used to play this for my wife over the phone when we were dating...aww!!!)
    "Prelude to a Kiss" - Duke/Strayhorn (one of those great Stray/Duke pieces. Love the change going into the bridge and the lyric "its only just a simple melody")
    "My One and Only Love" - Melin/Wood (similar to "In a Sentimental Mood" but, to me, a much better tune. Sting actually did a great version of this in "Leaving Las Vegas".)
    "Strange Meadowlark" - Dave Brubeck (everyone knows "Blue Rondo" and "Take Five" but this is my favorite.)
    "Too High" - Stevie Wonder (one of my first musical memories from Dad buying his first cassette player)
    "Creepin'" - Stevie Wonder (even divorced from Stevie's brilliant synthesizer production, this is a really deep tune dripping with "mood")
    "As" - Stevie Wonder (one of those great "photograph of time" songs that singers hate because Stevie wrote 5 pages of lyrics for them to memorize!)
    "Blue in Green" - Bill Evans (sorry Miles, but Bill wrote this simple yet complex textural piece)
    "Wildflower" - Wayne Shorter (I just love the way the melody and harmony go together in this tune)

If you're talking about "recordings", "productions", "performances" or "arrangements", I like these:

Anything played by Art Tatum (check it out on YouTube sometime)
    Anything played by Jimmy Smith (the master)
    "Actual Proof" - Herbie Hancock, Thrust (Herbie makes it sound easy, yet its not!)
    "Knock Yourself Out" - Tower of Power, Live (Chester Thompson's solo!)
    "You've Got to Funkafize" - Tower of Power, Bump City
    "Song for Bilbao" - Pat Metheny, Travels (love Pat's solo even if he's been wearing the same shirt for 20 years. Same for Lyle Mays)
    "More Bounce to the Ounce" - Zapp (Roger's on ur talkbox stealing ur funk)
    "Blackbird" - Bobby McFerrin, Live at Carnegie Hall (one guy singing all the parts...amazing!)
    "If I Only Had a Brain" - Philip DeGruy, Innuendo, Out the Other (you'll love the whimsy)
    "Chicken" - Maceo Parker

If you're talking Rock/Pop/Whatever

"18 Miles to Memphis" - Stray Cats (Brian Setzer is awesome and absolutely rocks out on this tune)
    "The Rain Song" - Led Zeppelin (in a way, this is the rock version of a lot of my jazz picks, very melancholly and moody)
    "The Crunge" - Led Zeppelin (where's that confounded bridge?)
    "Black Flag" _ King's X (a really underrated band...I always love the power trio! Great vocal group)
    "Blackbird" - The Beatles (very unpretentious, love the two of them singing together)
    "Lively up Yourself" - Bob Marley (kind of a lesser known tune but a serious late night party tune
    "Spirit of Eden" - Talk Talk (I know, its an entire album but its one you listen to in its entirety anyhow!)
    "Foxy Lady" - Jimi Hendrix (everyone has a favorite Jimi tune, I just love the bludgeon-like note he sustains a couple of bars after the intro...awesome!)
    "Shinola" - John Scofield (ok, he's a jazz guy and all but this is what the love child of Sid Vicious and Carla Bley would write!)
    "Kiss" - Prince (didja ever notice this song has no bass and it's still funky?)

I spent way too much time making this list!

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I love me some Smiths.
    I always like "How Soon is Now"...especially reading about the production.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My jr. high list... I shock my daughters when listening to the 60's on XM and I know the lyrics to all these songs, replete with background do-wops and sha-la-la-la-la's...

All I Have To Do Is Dream - Everly Brothers
    Travelin' Man - Ricky Nelson
    Crying - Roy Orbison
    He's A Rebel - Crystals
    Johnny Angel - Shelley Fabares
    Sealed With A Kiss - Brian Hyland
    Wipe Out - The Surfaris
    Be My Baby - The Ronettes
    He's So Fine - The Chiffons
    My Boyfriend's Back - The Angels

Wow! Yeah. This is my early life. Makes me want to cry and laugh. Thanks for rounding them up, Roy.
    teach tolerance.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Motown Top Ten
    ----------------
    Respect - Aretha Franklin
    What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
    Ain't No Mountain High - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
    You keep me hangin on - The Supremes
    I was made to Love You - Stevie Wonder
    Ball of Confusion - The Temptations
    I want you Back - The Jackson Five
    Don't You Worry about a Thing - Stevie Wonder
    Tears of a Clown - Smokie Robinson
    ABC - The Jackson Five
    I love Motown...maybe even earlier than this...Marvin Gaye's "What's Going on" shoulda been on my original ten

Also Jackie Wilson, Sam Cooke
    teach tolerance.

The Stooges - Down in the street
    VU - What goes on
    Beach Boys - God only knows
    Al Green - I'm still in love with you
    Nick Cave - Sad waters
    Will Oldham - I see a darkness
    Jesus and Mary Chain - Just like honey
    Jonathan Richman - Roadrunner
    Mekons - Hard to be human
    The Fall - New puritan
    (No blues, no reggae, no instrumental tracks considered for this list)

Ashes of American Flags - Wilco really ought to be on there somewhere too.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I'm quite a simpleton compared to most of you so here goes the at the moment 10:

I Saw Her Standing There - The Beatles (I could just do 10 Beatles but I won't)
    The Letter - The Box Tops
    Hotel California - The Eagles
    Katmandu - Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
    Piano Man - Billy Joel
    Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
    Honky Tonl Woman - The Rolling Stones
    The Way You Look Tonight - Frank Sinatra
    Angel of Harlem - U2
    If I had a Million Dollars - The Bare Naked Ladies

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Howdy

I like all sorts of stuff but I'm more of a Jazz / R&B guy. If you're talking "songs", these are ones I always come back to.

"I Mean You" - Thelonious Monk (really typifies Monk's approach to writing)
    "Stella by Starlight" - Washington/Young (just a great melody, I used to play this for my wife over the phone when we were dating...aww!!!)
    "Prelude to a Kiss" - Duke/Strayhorn (one of those great Stray/Duke pieces. Love the change going into the bridge and the lyric "its only just a simple melody")
    "My One and Only Love" - Melin/Wood (similar to "In a Sentimental Mood" but, to me, a much better tune. Sting actually did a great version of this in "Leaving Las Vegas".)
    "Strange Meadowlark" - Dave Brubeck (everyone knows "Blue Rondo" and "Take Five" but this is my favorite.)
    "Too High" - Stevie Wonder (one of my first musical memories from Dad buying his first cassette player)
    "Creepin'" - Stevie Wonder (even divorced from Stevie's brilliant synthesizer production, this is a really deep tune dripping with "mood")
    "As" - Stevie Wonder (one of those great "photograph of time" songs that singers hate because Stevie wrote 5 pages of lyrics for them to memorize!)
    "Blue in Green" - Bill Evans (sorry Miles, but Bill wrote this simple yet complex textural piece)
    "Wildflower" - Wayne Shorter (I just love the way the melody and harmony go together in this tune)

If you're talking about "recordings", "productions", "performances" or "arrangements", I like these:

Anything played by Art Tatum (check it out on YouTube sometime)
    Anything played by Jimmy Smith (the master)
    "Actual Proof" - Herbie Hancock, Thrust (Herbie makes it sound easy, yet its not!)
    "Knock Yourself Out" - Tower of Power, Live (Chester Thompson's solo!)
    "You've Got to Funkafize" - Tower of Power, Bump City
    "Song for Bilbao" - Pat Metheny, Travels (love Pat's solo even if he's been wearing the same shirt for 20 years. Same for Lyle Mays)
    "More Bounce to the Ounce" - Zapp (Roger's on ur talkbox stealing ur funk)
    "Blackbird" - Bobby McFerrin, Live at Carnegie Hall (one guy singing all the parts...amazing!)
    "If I Only Had a Brain" - Philip DeGruy, Innuendo, Out the Other (you'll love the whimsy)
    "Chicken" - Maceo Parker

If you're talking Rock/Pop/Whatever

"18 Miles to Memphis" - Stray Cats (Brian Setzer is awesome and absolutely rocks out on this tune)
    "The Rain Song" - Led Zeppelin (in a way, this is the rock version of a lot of my jazz picks, very melancholly and moody)
    "The Crunge" - Led Zeppelin (where's that confounded bridge?)
    "Black Flag" _ King's X (a really underrated band...I always love the power trio! Great vocal group)
    "Blackbird" - The Beatles (very unpretentious, love the two of them singing together)
    "Lively up Yourself" - Bob Marley (kind of a lesser known tune but a serious late night party tune
    "Spirit of Eden" - Talk Talk (I know, its an entire album but its one you listen to in its entirety anyhow!)
    "Foxy Lady" - Jimi Hendrix (everyone has a favorite Jimi tune, I just love the bludgeon-like note he sustains a couple of bars after the intro...awesome!)
    "Shinola" - John Scofield (ok, he's a jazz guy and all but this is what the love child of Sid Vicious and Carla Bley would write!)
    "Kiss" - Prince (didja ever notice this song has no bass and it's still funky?)

I spent way too much time making this list!

"When Doves Cry" is also bass-less--but exquisitely delicious.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I don't think songs without bass should be allowed.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I don't think songs without bass should be allowed.
    Prince gets special dispensation, I'd say.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    The Stooges - Down in the street
    VU - What goes on
    Beach Boys - God only knows
    Al Green - I'm still in love with you
    Nick Cave - Sad waters
    Will Oldham - I see a darkness
    Jesus and Mary Chain - Just like honey
    Jonathan Richman - Roadrunner
    Mekons - Hard to be human
    The Fall - New puritan
    (No blues, no reggae, no instrumental tracks considered for this list)
    I find it difficult to argue with most of those tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I find it difficult to argue with most of those tracks.
    I missed this...I agree, that's a great list, and one of the few posted in which I know (and like) every single song.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?